Volvo V40 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought a second hand V40 2015 D2 1.6L like a month ago. Since day one had problems with it. To be honest I love everything about the car but in one month I drove it probably 3 days, mostly in the garage to fix it. Started with warning" cooling fluid low" took it for a long test drive, 45 miles later warning" engine overheating, stop slowly".
Went back at garage and they changed : new gear box( had issues in 5th and 6th gear), new thermostat and sensors, new water pump and timing belt, they checked the radiator for cracks and blocks but all was fine. Second day after I got the car back, first noticed the cooling fluid was over the max. At some point no heat was coming in the cockpit, then warning light " cooling fluid low". Car wasn't used for few hours then all was working fine. This morning same thing, started driving, no heat , or when heat starts is just for few minutes then cold. Now I noticed there's also a bad smell in the car that is the first time. Cooling fluid seems fine but no ideea what it can be. So disappointed to send the car back.

·
Registered
66Plate V40 D2 Momentum Nav Plus in Mussel Blue
34 Posts
Oh dear..Sorry to hear of you experiences.
I must say it does seem that the pre-VEA engined 1.6 D2's are now running into serious problems as they age and mileages increase.
I bought a few months ago now a later 2.0litre VEA engined D2 and really do hope that it proves to be more reliable than the earlier 1.6 D2's seem to be.
I absolutely love my V40 and would hate to have a tale of woe like you have experienced.
Will the dealer have the car back?.Is buying a later engined V40 an option?

Alan

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I must say it does seem that the pre-VEA engined 1.6 D2's are now running into serious problems as they age and mileages increase.
I bought a few months ago now a later 2.0litre VEA engined D2 and really do hope that it proves to be more reliable than the earlier 1.6 D2's seem to be.
I absolutely love my V40 and would hate to have a tale of woe like you have experienced.

Alan
I just returned the Volvo back to the dealership and waiting for the new paperwork to finalize. Felt so bad to give it back as I really really liked it. Will exchange it for a BMW 320M as I can't really count on that V40 .

·
Registered
V40 2.0 D2 Momentum Nav Plus in Passion Red with Winter Pack 2017
91 Posts

Alan
Yeah the 2.0 are a far better engine, my 2017 D2 is now on 118k

·
Registered
66Plate V40 D2 Momentum Nav Plus in Mussel Blue
34 Posts
Interesting that you are going BMW 320...I went the other way around from a BMW 320D Tourer to a my present V40 D2.
The V40 seats are so much better for my bad back than the BMW!

·
Registered
2017 R Design D2
502 Posts
I just returned the Volvo back to the dealership and waiting for the new paperwork to finalize. Felt so bad to give it back as I really really liked it. Will exchange it for a BMW 320M as I can't really count on that V40 .
the 320D was on my list of preferred options, but couldn't find one with the split folding rear seat and I ran out of patience!!

·
Registered
530 Posts
The low coolant/overheating messages sound symptomatic of one of the following:
Failing water pump
Failing head gasket
Cracked engine block

I had a D2 for 6 years and it was absolutely amazing and 100% reliable until the last month of ownership when I had the same problem as you.

(BTW I test drove a few BMWs as a prospective V40 replacement including a 420D MSport and a 120D MSport) and found that the clutch was incredibly heavy - so much so that in slow traffic it would actually become uncomfortable to keep depressing it.

If you can get the dealer to investigate and replace the fault in the engine, you will have a much better car than the BMW. You might also love the almost 67mpg I used to regularly achieve when cruising on the motorway.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts