Volvo V40 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, the past weekend my local dealer had open house, where they had the V40CC on display.

I went there to see it, and see if I could tell the differences between my 'regular' V40 and a Cross Country. A part from the plastic bits on the front and rear, it was just the same. A bit higher, but the clearance is apparently almost the same - the dealer told me.

I had a go in one of them. The dealer told me, that it had a bit more powerfull engine than mine (D2). That was a understatement - it was the T5 AWD. It was a total different car - it did not take more thank a few seconds before I broke the speed limit - but luckily I was the only one on the road.

The engine was a lot of fun - but when obeying the laws (and not accelerating like Schumacher) the car felt the same to me.

Anyone else who took a testdrive?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'd love to take the T5 AWD out for spin but there a none in my area because demand for the T5 is about zero. I've test driven the Cross Country with D3 and D4 engines and it's a shame AWD isn't available for diesel engines. While we are dreaming D5 AWD would be awesome in this chassis.

I really like the Cross Country version and would like to own one but with the current engine/drivetrain options which in my opinion are poorly decided I have to look elsewhere.

Anyway I'd like to hear more of your impressions about the T5 AWD you drove. What were the weather conditions? Were you able to make use of the AWD system and if so how did it feel? It has the new fifth generation Haldex system which has been criticized for being slightly slower to react in some situtations. Did you check fuel consumption after the test? And for last how was the engine sound from the T5? I've heard it has been heavily insulated because of comfort.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The weather was nice, it was freezing about -5 or so, with the sun out and blue sky. The larger roads were cleared for snow, I only drove on one small road where the snow had been compressed (because of all the other car that have driven there before) for perhaps 500m. But to be honest, the only time where I could feel the AWD was when accelerating like mad (on dry roads). You can feel it's a different grip, than your regular fwd.

The engine sound was definitely there - it sounded nice when accelerating. It weren't especially loud inside, and I have no idea how it sounded outside.

I did not check how much fuel i've used - all I noticed was, the estimated distance left was about 150km and i think there were 3 bars on the fuel indicator... But I guess you don't buy a T5 to save on fuel...

Don't know what "Haldex" is, sorry.

I only took a short test drive - perhaps 10 minutes - so it was very limited what I tried, but it was fun!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
About this Discussion
2 Replies
2 Participants
jens-peter
Volvo V40 Forums
If you've ever wondered what modifications or upgrades you can do to a Volvo V40, this is the right owners club for you.
Full Forum Listing