Volvo V40 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear all,
I was just going to order a v40 D2 Powershift Kinetic for a 4year leasing, when I found out that Mercedes A180 CDi Blue Efficiency (bare, only with Audio20CD as an extra) comes in the same monthly leasing fee.
I thought it was much more expensive but I was told that due to the ease of reselling it after the 4years, the fee value drops.
I am still looking at the Volvo with love, but emotions are now shared with Merc...
What I mostly need from you is a justified support on my initial decision to go for the Flamenco Red with T-Tech blonde inside V40!!!
And am I doing right for choosing the Powershift?
My style is a lousy driver, with 20,000 kms annually and 80% of them in the city traffic.
Any help appreciated!!!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hi Rixardos, the mercedes was also on my list, but after driving it compared to the Volvo there was no comparison. I drive approx 20000miles a year and would not be able to live with the hard jiggly ride of the a class. the brakes were also so sharp it was difficult to brake smoothly.
But that is just my opinion.
Regards Mark

·
Registered
175 Posts
I was also considering the A-Class, albeit the AMG when I bought my CC T5, to echo the comments above, I couldn't live with the ridiculously hard ride.

Reactions: Rixardos

·
Registered
225 Posts
Last year I spent some considerable time test driving not just the V40, but also its competitors (A Class -A250, 125i, A3, Golf Mk7). After reading fairly good reviews of the A-Class generally I was very disappointed. In fact I'd actually rated it bottom of the class. Besides the previously mentioned surprising hard and jittery ride, I just couldn't warm to the A-Class interior with its large ugly circular air vents and the silly Ipad-type screen.

Tony

·
Registered
85 Posts
No worries on the powershift. I have had my D2 R Design Powershift for 3 months and 12,000 miles and find it smooth and efficient. Average MPG is in the high 50's and my best on a long sub 65 MPH run was 70.3 MPG. For me with an automatic I find this unbelievable. Unlike other auto's I have had, I do not use the sport (manual) gears very much at all. Great car.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Powershift is definitely the way to go if you spend a lot if time in traffic.

I just got my V40 and drove all the "premium hatches" first. The A was at the bottom if my list. It's over priced, got the worst reviews from the reviewers I care about and it drove horrible. The interior was nice but the glued in ipadesque screen just killed it for me.

I'm absolutely happy with my V40 and I definitely don't regret it.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I drove them both.
Ok, the Merc has some Design highlights which definitely attract the eye.
On the other hand the shouting "steal me steal me" central monitor put there as if someone forgot to leave some space on the first place, plus the cheap plastic around the gearknob really disappointed me...
Honestly speaking, I caught myself looking for drawbacks, as my heart says "you are a 40 years old slow and comfort oriented driver. What the heck are you doing inside a teenager focused Merc?"
If you add that indeed, most of the ~20,000 annual kms are being consumed inside the road traffic, an automatic gearbox is a swiss knife! And the leasing plan doesnt allow me to spend an extra 2,500e for Merc automatic gearbox...
Therefore, I believe I shall stick to the initial Volvo V40 D2 powershift choice.
It is not the best gearbox I've tested, it is even slower than the Hybrid's CVT I am using now, but, yes, it's me!
Thank you all guys for the replies.
If anyone has more reviews on the Powershift, please share them with me!
Next thing, to post some pics of the Power Blue V40 with blond P52g interior, if the deal is finally there.
Thank you all once again!
Wait for a new member car!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.