Volvo V40 Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First look on the new V40! On my eyes it was even better than I expected. Leather interior felt nice and well finished. The sat nav and handsfree gave convincing first impression. Engine power is sufficient for our use and powershift goes smoothly through gears. One of the unforgettable rides back home after work :)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
First look on the new V40! On my eyes it was even better than I expected. Leather interior felt nice and well finished. The sat nav and handsfree gave convincing first impression. Engine power is sufficient for our use and powershift goes smoothly through gears. One of the unforgettable rides back home after work :)
Nice one.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Thanks! Yes, it is Ocean Race too. That blue colour is excellent choice! What is your delivery estimate? Our's took exactly 2 (long) months from order.
As i'm buying myself i don't know ? I ordered in the beginning of October and i already then made the decision to get it registered(delivered) the 1 week in January so that its going to be a real 2015 :)
Its a long wait but well worth it :sleepy:

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
As i'm buying myself i don't know ? I ordered in the beginning of October and i already then made the decision to get it registered(delivered) the 1 week in January so that its going to be a real 2015 :)
Its a long wait but well worth it :sleepy:
Definitely a good decision. Little patience now will pay back next time when you are changing car. And nice to start new year with a brand new Volvo :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Richardo Kalimera,
I believe from what I've read about the subject that, powershift is a good choice. I had the same dilemma since with manual in Greece you are not paying any Teli kikloforias (road taxes?), and with powershift goes to €97/year.
It is originally developed by Ford however this new Powershift transmission is a six-speed unit and has been developed by Volvo Cars in cooperation with its transmission partner Getrag. Powershift operates in principle as two parallel manual gearboxes. This promotes a continuous flood of power without any disruption in power delivery or any torque loss, resulting in extremely fast and silky-smooth gearchanges while maintaining acceleration throughout the gearchanging process. The difference is that with Powershift even manual gearchanges take place without any time or power losses.
Since Powershift, unlike a conventional automatic transmission, does not need a torque converter, planetary gears or multiple wet clutches, there is also none of the added torque losses that these features bring.

I'm waiting mine V40 cross country D2 livstyl edition MY2015, during this week so I will inform you more precisely about the subject.

·
Registered
729 Posts
So this powershift is the same as VW's DSG system ?
Have that system on my Skoda, and yeah smooth indeed. Just don't like that I am NOT in control, thing has a mind of its owon on when to downor upshift... That for me was reason enough to go for a manual again this time.

·
Registered
58 Posts
So this powershift is the same as VW's DSG system ?
Have that system on my Skoda, and yeah smooth indeed. Just don't like that I am NOT in control, thing has a mind of its owon on when to downor upshift... That for me was reason enough to go for a manual again this time.
Although it's technically the same as DSG (dual clutch), it's miles from DSG's speed and refinement. Ford uses same gearboxes and they're much inferior to DSG in my opinion and experience..

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Any exciting update on Powershift? Mine shall arive on 20 Jan and I am still sceptical if D2-powershift was a good combination...
Fortunately, most members here had no issues with its performance.
Hi Rixardos,
It feels smooth and invisible. Especially in highway speeds. Little delay in slower speeds when changing from brake to throttle. Fits well to my driving style, which is maybe a bit predictive. Power flow is solid when accelerating. That delay was something which I was worried after reading test reports. However did not feel that disturbing in test drive, neiher now.
I haven't yet accelerated flat and taken only smooth corners to settle the winter wheels, so have not seen all it's behaviour.
I have had also skoda with dsg and 140 hp diesel, which is bit different. Maybe smoother with low gears and speeds but the power died suddenly with higher revs, making it bit frustrating with full throttle waiting next gear to step in. Otherwise good box that too, except the delay when switching to reverse.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Richardo Kalimera,
I believe from what I've read about the subject that, powershift is a good choice. I had the same dilemma since with manual in Greece you are not paying any Teli kikloforias (road taxes?), and with powershift goes to €97/year.
It is originally developed by Ford however this new Powershift transmission is a six-speed unit and has been developed by Volvo Cars in cooperation with its transmission partner Getrag. Powershift operates in principle as two parallel manual gearboxes. This promotes a continuous flood of power without any disruption in power delivery or any torque loss, resulting in extremely fast and silky-smooth gearchanges while maintaining acceleration throughout the gearchanging process. The difference is that with Powershift even manual gearchanges take place without any time or power losses.
Since Powershift, unlike a conventional automatic transmission, does not need a torque converter, planetary gears or multiple wet clutches, there is also none of the added torque losses that these features bring.

I'm waiting mine V40 cross country D2 livstyl edition MY2015, during this week so I will inform you more precisely about the subject.
It would be nice to hear how do you find the powershift with Cross Country. Exciting week you have :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.