Volvo V40 Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Looking into purchasing the title model, a V40 D3 SE Lux 2.0 diesel, anything up to 40k miles, around 2013-2015.

As a long time member of a different car owners appreciation club, I appreciate how helpful insider knowledge can be, with that in mind, does anyone have anything that they feel might be particularly helpful to know as a buyer, specific to this model?

I'm a huge fan of the styling, both interior and exterior although unfortunately it's unlikely my budget can stretch to the R-design - am I missing out on anything that's absolutely definining about the range by opting for the more budget friendly SE?

As I plan to use the vehicle for a lot of trekking up and down the coutnry visiting family and weekend camping, I'm a huge fan of the 150 (ish) bhp 2.0 diesel option of the D3, as opposed to the more modent D3 (around 115?) but am I missing some other obvious difference between the two?

Many thanks in advance for any and all comments,
-Ed

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have a 2013 V40 D3 SE Nav Lux. I've owned it for 5 years now and can honestly say it's the best car I've ever owned, reliable , comfortable and frugal (55 mpg average). It's now coming up to it's first cambelt change an 97k miles. I'll be keeping it and aim to do another 100k miles at least. The 5 pot engine is a peach and the 17" wheels give a beautiful ride and great handling. Good luck with your search, hope you get one

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have a 2013 V40 D3 SE Nav Lux. I've owned it for 5 years now and can honestly say it's the best car I've ever owned, reliable , comfortable and frugal (55 mpg average). It's now coming up to it's first cambelt change an 97k miles. I'll be keeping it and aim to do another 100k miles at least. The 5 pot engine is a peach and the 17" wheels give a beautiful ride and great handling. Good luck with your search, hope you get one
I have the same model and year with over 109k miles on the clock and fully concur.
Good hunting.

·
Registered
2017 R Design D2
815 Posts
Well, the D3 engine of that age is great, no questions. But as you mention camping and traveling, with a V40 you're looking at a good size 4 seater at best (middle rear seat is hopeless) and a smallish boot the same as any mid size hatchback. Previously I had in Insignia, and miss the space even today. If you can live with the size, then yes, youre looking at affordable motoring:)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Honestly this was exactly the comments I was hoping for, thanks very much. I've found a few nice examples and hope to get involved soon as a proper owner :)

As for the space, really it won't be an issue, there's only two of us and we've come off the back of a few years of bicycles and buses, so this will be a real slice of luxury!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Honestly this was exactly the comments I was hoping for, thanks very much. I've found a few nice examples and hope to get involved soon as a proper owner :)

As for the space, really it won't be an issue, there's only two of us and we've come off the back of a few years of bicycles and buses, so this will be a real slice of luxury!
If there’s only two of you then folding the back seats down will give you loads of space for any camping gear etc

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Having spent the last few days obsessively scouring the corners of the net for a good deal, I’ve noticed there’s considerably fewer D3s, particularly the 5 cylinder ones. I suppose that’s natural given they were the earlier model and I’m searching for sub 30k mileage.

Plenty of D2s about however, I am skeptical of the considerable drop in power between the D2 and D3/D4.. I want to be sure the car has enough welly behind it to not feel concerned if I need to overtake a tractor with trailer on a B road for example.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Having spent the last few days obsessively scouring the corners of the net for a good deal, I’ve noticed there’s considerably fewer D3s, particularly the 5 cylinder ones. I suppose that’s natural given they were the earlier model and I’m searching for sub 30k mileage.

Plenty of D2s about however, I am skeptical of the considerable drop in power between the D2 and D3/D4.. I want to be sure the car has enough welly behind it to not feel concerned if I need to overtake a tractor with trailer on a B road for example.
Nice little read if you’re not already convinced about the D3 😎

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Cheers again for all the kind and supportive words, just put a deposit down on a lovely Dec 13 registered D3 SE Lux Nav in Denim Blue, just a little over 30k on the clock. MOT'd for just shy of the full year with no advisories.

Hope to go pick her up at the weekend on a near 500 mile roundtrip, I'm absolutely buzzing! :D

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Off to pick her up a week today!

First things first will be to get her in for a service. My local Volvo franchise is Waylands in Bristol - I expect to pay over the odds but I’d like the peace of mind and I intend to start the ownership off in the right spirit!

Once that’s all sorted, there’s a small spot of lacquer peel on the bonnet around the size of a 10p that needs dealing with, and the alloys are desperately in need of a refurb. Then it’ll be time for a full detail and clean to bring out the lovely denim blue colour.

Also considering ordering some team heko wind deflectors, I always liked these on my old vehicles, and probably a new plate as the current one looks like it’s been on since new and it’s a bit crusty, and also so I can drive in Europe without a big sticker!

Longer term I would probably like to get rid of some of the chrome trim around the windows for gloss black, but not sure it suits the se lux model as opposed to the r design where it looks beautiful.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Cheers again for all the kind and supportive words, just put a deposit down on a lovely Dec 13 registered D3 SE Lux Nav in Denim Blue, just a little over 30k on the clock. MOT'd for just shy of the full year with no advisories.

Hope to go pick her up at the weekend on a near 500 mile roundtrip, I'm absolutely buzzing! :D
Well done great choice that you'll not regret. Give us an update when you get it (y)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ayy she’s all back in one piece as of Monday and so am I! Was a near enough 500 mile round trip across the country to collect and bring home!

good news: (nearly) no nasty hidden surprise when I arrived, was in great nick and mostly as described, and handled the return leg through heavy rain and spray on the motorway with ease!

bad points: passenger wing mirror doesn’t fold in, I can hear the motor making a whirring sound but it won’t shift. It’s pretty much the only thing I didn’t check at the dealer and kicking myself. Apparently it’s been a common issue?

she needs a good clean inside and out, ideally I’d like to get a proper machine polish as there’s a few scratches and nicks that I think will come out.

also need to book it into Volvo for a service, the sat nav is well out of date, plenty of times I was on a dual carriageway or motorway and it had me out in a field somewhere so we had to rely on phone, which defeats the point of inbuilt nav system.

overall she drives like a dream and it’s quite easily the most comfortable ride, the issues are mostly cosmetic and with a bit of tlc I plan to give her she’ll be like new :)

one question: I’m trying to find the exact colour code for the colour name, anyone know where that would be? I’m told it’s denim blue but have seen similar named different shades.

will post pics in due course!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Ayy she’s all back in one piece as of Monday and so am I! Was a near enough 500 mile round trip across the country to collect and bring home!

good news: (nearly) no nasty hidden surprise when I arrived, was in great nick and mostly as described, and handled the return leg through heavy rain and spray on the motorway with ease!

bad points: passenger wing mirror doesn’t fold in, I can hear the motor making a whirring sound but it won’t shift. It’s pretty much the only thing I didn’t check at the dealer and kicking myself. Apparently it’s been a common issue?

she needs a good clean inside and out, ideally I’d like to get a proper machine polish as there’s a few scratches and nicks that I think will come out.

also need to book it into Volvo for a service, the sat nav is well out of date, plenty of times I was on a dual carriageway or motorway and it had me out in a field somewhere so we had to rely on phone, which defeats the point of inbuilt nav system.

overall she drives like a dream and it’s quite easily the most comfortable ride, the issues are mostly cosmetic and with a bit of tlc I plan to give her she’ll be like new :)

one question: I’m trying to find the exact colour code for the colour name, anyone know where that would be? I’m told it’s denim blue but have seen similar named different shades.

will post pics in due course!
Hi, great choice. Same year as mine. Check out the link below to get your exact colour code. Mines the Caspian Blue metallic.

Hope this helps 😎

1 - 17 of 17 Posts