Volvo V40 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wife has a D3 SE Lux with the bendy xenon's - problem is on dipped headlights the range is not as good as previous cars and the right is slightly shorter than the left - Volvo dealer says "no fault found".

This makes for an uncomfortable drive especially on unlit roads. Pop full beam on and WOW it's like daylight but without beam it's bad.

Anyone else have this / advice?

Best regards
Ian

·
Registered
720 Posts
I haven't had any problem with my headlights. They are a bit better than my previous V50, and my wife's Peugeot 207

·
Registered
202 Posts
Wife has a D3 SE Lux with the bendy xenon's - problem is on dipped headlights the range is not as good as previous cars and the right is slightly shorter than the left - Volvo dealer says "no fault found".

This makes for an uncomfortable drive especially on unlit roads. Pop full beam on and WOW it's like daylight but without beam it's bad.

Best regards
Ian
Hi, you don't mention how old the car is, but have you read this thread?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi,
Yes saw this thank you - the car is Jan 13 so shouldn't be affected.
It's a real shame as the rest of the car is near perfect!

Best regards
Ian

·
Premium Member
630 Posts
I have also noticed low beam doesn't light up very far in front of the car, but it is 10 times better than what my Mazda did. Switching to high is like someone switch on cricket stadium lights.

Maybe see if you can adjust the level inside the car, where the lights switch is. Haven't checked mine, has bothered me, as I don't drive around dark roads.

Reactions: Mmac1776

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks VoodooBob - the xenons are seemingly self-levelling so it seems Volvo don't allow us to change from inside the car but I would imagine there are physical adjusters under the bonnet or perhaps electronically... I will ask the dealer again.

Regards
Ian

·
Registered
8 Posts
There will be physical adjusters. It's not unknown for main dealers to err on the side of caution and set Xenons too low. Try a trusted independent garage with light setting gear, don't be tempted to do it yourself against a wall as there is a risk of going too high and dazzling others.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I noticed the exact same thing on mine when i first had the car (Sept 2012) however was told its perfectly normal.

I drive alll through the winter & didnt really notice it after a while.

Keep us all posted on your outcome with Volvo.

·
Registered
273 Posts
It's amazing how just when you're thinking something yourself, boom, up pops a thread! My car is going in on Monday (see "rebel blue paint peeling thread") and as well as a software upgrade and new bumpers, I was going to mention to the dealer that my xenon headlights in dipped mode, just need lifting a bit...don't get me wrong, they're brilliant and as one of you said, on main beam they're like floodlights lol...but I just feel a tad uncomfortable on those unlit roads and indeed, the offside light just feels a little too low. I've warned the dealer that i'm on a three year/120,000 mile lease...so expect me to flag stuff up! Cheers, good thread, glad it's not just me!
Darren
D2 R Design Lux Nav, Premium sound, blacked out, winter pack...love it!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Mine are definitely not as good and lower than the ones on my S40. And mine was only delivered last week

·
Registered
273 Posts
Took the car into the dealer, suggested the lights were too low, they adjusted them to the "upper" scale of the MOT limit and am now happy! Must admit that i'm paranoid they're too high, but nobody's flashed me yet...unless they're still in confusion that a cricket floodlight is on the road!

·
Registered
202 Posts
Took the car into the dealer, suggested the lights were too low, they adjusted them to the "upper" scale of the MOT limit and am now happy! Must admit that i'm paranoid they're too high, but nobody's flashed me yet...unless they're still in confusion that a cricket floodlight is on the road!
So my question is, is this low setting done in the factory or the dealers, and if it is done as a factory default, should the dealer check and adjust suitably before delivery. Is that why some V40s have no issue? Some dealers are doing this?

·
Registered
18 Posts
has anyone in South Africa managed to get their Xenon lights adjusted to increase the range in dipped mode? I am finding night driving dangerous not having enough light range in dipped mode - especially on our roads in South Africa. I find myself continually engaging bright and having to dip for oncoming cars......I am worried that this is going to cause an accident. My wife specifically is scared to use the car at night because of this issue!

·
Premium Member
630 Posts
I drove last night my usual route back home, and had a look how far my lights light up the road in front of me, and it was about 2 and a half to 3 car lenghts. I think it might be nice if it is a little further, but then I think opposite cars are going to start flashing you, as they might think you have the Xenon's on brights.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Only seeing up to 3 car lengths ahead of you is fine in the city with streetlights etc - but, on a freeway or a national road - this is extremely dangerous! Imagine travelling at 100kph on dipped beams - and then all of a sudden there is a stalled vehicle ahead, or some other obstruction. You will never be able to react and stop in time to prevent an accident. I was travelling at 80-100kmph the other night and it was scary not having the viewing distance....this was on a freeway out of town....I did not feel safe travelling at 120!!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've just bought a 2013 V40 with ABL and I noticed straight away how poor the dipped beams were. I have booked it into the dealer for a look, but they didn't fill me with hope they could adjust them. DarrenCC, I assume your lights were ABL Xeons. Thanks Steve

·
Registered
44 Posts
Recently purchased a V40 which has active bending xenons. In my view the dipped beam range is short and this is particularly noticeable at speeds in excess of 90 kmph. If this a feature of xenon lights it would seem to negate the benefit of the brighter lights. My previous car had halogen bulbs and much better dipped beam range.

Is there a way the xenon lights can be adjusted to lift the beam slightly?

·
Registered
44 Posts
I've just bought a 2013 V40 with ABL and I noticed straight away how poor the dipped beams were. I have booked it into the dealer for a look, but they didn't fill me with hope they could adjust them. DarrenCC, I assume your lights were ABL Xeons. Thanks Steve
Any update on this?

·
Registered
44 Posts

Best regards
Ian
It's terrible - can it be adjusted to give a longer beam range on dipped?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts