Volvo V40 Forums banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
I had mine adjusted up and it made a big difference I would try another dealer I went through 2 dealers until it was put right as Volvo seam to have left them low.
So a Volvo dealer had to make the adjustment? Why did it take multiple dealers?

·
Registered
399 Posts
If you're in the UK, you can also go to an MOT station (perhaps they may charge you a £5 or nothing at all) to use their headlight beam thingi. Most of the time factory xenons are set at the 'lower end' of height, plus it's possible over time, they tend to 'fall down' lower. My previous Seat with Bi-Xenons had this, and it fell down lower over time. Alternatively (but you do this at your own risk), there should be 2 circle knobs on each headlight, one for side to side and one for up down. Park 10 meters from a wall, turn headlights on, mark off where the cut off is. raise the headlights a bit, see if you are happy with the extra height etc. Please note, do this 'a bit' as a small increase at 10 meters away, is actually a lot more, 50-60 meters away. Also make sure you clean the lenses, water with a dab of screenwash, sponge and microfibre to dry should do the trick..

My other Seat had LED headlights and on the motorway on speeds in excess of 110kmh, it would raise the headlights by 3% or so, so you can see further at faster speeds.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Thanks for the info. I definitely won't try DIY on them - I'd probably make a mess of it! I called a headlight alignment centre who tell me they can be adjusted. Apparently a Volvo dealer isn't necessary. I expected very good light from the xenons so I was disappointed to find I couldn't see far enough ahead! If it was a car with halogens your initial assumption would be the headlight adjuster was at 2 or 3 instead of 0! On the other hand the full beams are fantastic - like floodlights!

·
Registered
399 Posts
I expected very good light from the xenons so I was disappointed to find I couldn't see far enough ahead! If it was a car with halogens your initial assumption would be the headlight adjuster was at 2 or 3 instead of 0!
I forgot to ask, how old are the bulbs? Xenon bulbs tend to lose brightness gradually and perhaps turn a bit purple nearing the end of their lives. Usually after 5 years the brightness would definately drop, and perhaps after 8 years time for a change of bulbs..

·
Registered
44 Posts
I forgot to ask, how old are the bulbs? Xenon bulbs tend to lose brightness gradually and perhaps turn a bit purple nearing the end of their lives. Usually after 5 years the brightness would definately drop, and perhaps after 8 years time for a change of bulbs..
3.5 years and low mileage - the brightness is good - it's just the range on low beam.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have a V60 with bendy xenon lights so could directly compare against my halogen lit V40.

It was a bit of a learning curve when I first got it!

When I got the car (second hand 6 years old) I was initially shocked by how appalling the lights were, and how the heck the previous owner hadn't driven it into a tree, (lit forward maybe 2 car lengths), then what a dramatic adjustment upping the beams makes compared to doing so with the more diffuse light of halogens (Took it up to around 10 car lengths) and then a further difference by replacing the 6 year old bulbs with new ones. Always thought you replaced a bulb only when blown, but with HIDs apparently not. This took the light to a level where I keep trying to dip already dipped beams in the face of oncoming traffic!

I'd recommend asking the MOT station to raise your lights to just on the legal max height each year. Perhaps slightly antisocial but very good at illuminating the road!

·
Registered
44 Posts
I had them raised by an auto shop and they're now acceptabe - though still nothing to write home about! However, full beams are really excellent. The self levelling on the xenons takes a bit of getting used to, particularly on roads with crests and troughs.

·
Registered
V40 D3 2013
15 Posts
When i bought my V40 two years ago, it also had dipped beams very low with poor range. First I tried to adjust them higher from the knobs but no good, ran out of adjustment range.
Local Volvo dealer fixed the issue by calibrating the leveling sensors via Vida, then the dipped beams went to "normal" level with proper range.
Mine has ABL and I find them to be so-so. Not bad in any way but could be better, V50 had really good bi-xenons and my V40 ABLs do not compare even if I have Philips Gen2 WhiteVision d3s bulbs.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts