Volvo V40 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For anyone interested in remapping their V40 D4 MY2015. Here is my before and after. No hardware mods so far. No changes to fuel consumption, getting around 60MPG+ if driving sensibly on motorway. It was remapped by an individual first, then taken to a dyno about a month later to check gains. Should have had it done whilst on dyno but I wasn't wasting another £200. Happy with what I got. Anyone else had similar gains? Don't want to overdo the components anyway.
Vehicle Automotive tail & brake light Car Vehicle registration plate Automotive lighting

·
Registered
2017 T2 R-Design
63 Posts
Your remap numbers are actually a little conservative, but then again, I have no experience with diesels, I'm basing my assumption on other posts found here regarding remaps.
Those numbers make me doubt the promised gains of +70bhp on my T2. Also weary about premature wear or stress on gearbox and such.
Do you regret having it done op? Did the remap change the car's temperament in any way or is it just a matter of faster acceleration and nothing else?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was told I would get around 230-235hp with 470nm. So my map isn’t the best.
No regrets, you might get gains close to that if you have it taken to somewhere that has both a remapping machine and rolling road.
My car has been perfect, very speedy. Peak power between 3000-4000rpm. Faster acceleration. Temperature has no change.
It’s a big engine so it’s a good thing I do mainly motorway miles. Plan on getting stage 2 done with parts from bsr.se

·
Registered
2017 T2 R-Design
63 Posts
I was told my T2 would go from 122bhp to 190bhp and an extra 100Nm. But hard to find a tuner that can do custom maps instead of uploading pre-made generic ones and also dyno test

·
Registered
13 Posts
Depends on if the Dyno report is at the wheels or has been converted to the at engine values. Most gains are reported as the higher engine value, which sounds sneaky but is more comparable I guess to the manufacturer ratings which are @engine too. Does it say on the graph?

I suspect if at engine could go a bit higher as my T3 is mapped to pretty much the same torque and hp. The D4 should be able to push a bit more I'd think.

My T3 Dyno here for ref. dyno

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
227 at engine, 206 at flywheel. From what I have read the M66 gearbox/transmission is rated to 320ft-lbs so around 430nm. So I’m happy it wasn’t much more. Might be wrong but I’ve been unable to find anymore information on the parts.
Product Font World Urban design Parallel

·
Registered
13 Posts
Looks like the torque is kept high for a decent part of the rev range so shouldn't run out of steam meaning you need to change as often to keep up the pace. I think this is where the twin turbo helps make the D4 much better than equiv. size single turbo units. Consequently the T3 is opposite with only a small turbo so likely relies on much lower boost high in the rev range where the T5's bigger turbo keeps pushing.

Seems like the D4 is a very decent engine and glad you're happy with the result. I'm sure the parts can cope with the torque and maybe more. I think it's more driving style. I used to have 2.2 civic remapped and everyone said their clutches failed about 80k when mapped and that I was sitting on a ticking Tim bomb. I took mine to 140k with no issues! I don't dump the clutch ever really and keep revs just high enough to get going; then can floor it and fly!

Do you use standard or premium diesel? I found that 2-ehn additive (cetane booster) made the civic 2.2 clatter much less and smoothed delivery - doubtful of power increase, but 2-ehn is one of the few additives with test papers backing up benefits.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I was told I would get around 230-235hp with 470nm. So my map isn’t the best.
No regrets, you might get gains close to that if you have it taken to somewhere that has both a remapping machine and rolling road.
My car has been perfect, very speedy. Peak power between 3000-4000rpm. Faster acceleration. Temperature has no change.
It’s a big engine so it’s a good thing I do mainly motorway miles. Plan on getting stage 2 done with parts from bsr.se
I Souwl,

I managed to install the 'Stage 1 + BSR Software' using the "PPC" unit, but this had to be done via the ECU first (to "unlock" the ECU. This was completely successful on the early 2017 Volvo V40 reg I had until August 2020.

To answer your question, I did not have any other modifications/upgrades. Further, I was told by BSR, Sweden and the only UK dealer that the "stock" vehicle should be able to handle the power. My question was: "Okay, maybe, but for how long? Do we really want to ruin our cars further down the years?."

If you do manage to install the 'Stage 1+', my experience taught me that maybe perforated brake disks and racing brake pads would be needed (EBC?). Also, yes- like you mentioned- a DO88 intercooler. I would also add a good air filter- K&N? Finally, I believe it would be worth lowering the car in addition to a proper sports suspension (Bilstein/Eibach) and sports exhaust to allow the engine to breath.

Overall, I can honestly say that the BSR Stage 1 + turns the car into an absolute beast- especially in Sports Mode- you really need to be careful if the brake system has not been updated.

I managed a 0-60mph in under 5.5 seconds, which many people would probably laugh at- but it is true. I definitely would not continue ragging the car.

Currently, I have a 67 plate V40. It is Polestar Optimised (power right through the rev range and great for overtaking), with a full Stainless Steel Polestar Exhaust and has a regularly cleaned K&N filter. Also, I have just installed the Polestar Black Edition Rear Diffuser. The car sounds lovely and holds 200BHP and 325IB torque. I've had it lowered with Eibach Lowering Springs, which has made a significant difference to handling. It's a quick and comfortable car!

How are you getting on with the BSR?

·
Registered
3 Posts
**Also, it is so important to remember that software upgrades or remaps can be utterly different. You'd want to pay a bit more and have the remap beneficially affect gear ratios/timing in addition to power banding across the rev range. You'll get this from BSR / Polestar. Recently, BSR advised me that they offer remaps for Polestar Optimised D4 engines, too. This is something I would be interested in.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts