Volvo V40 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks, great forum.

I'm taking delivery of my first ever Volvo this coming Monday. I'm trading down slightly from my current A5, but I'm looking forward to getting behind the wheel of the V40 again after being impressed during the test drive.

I have a couple of quick questions that I thought i would ask, though.

If I'm correct, the car I've ordered comes with a USB port for playing music. Where is this situated and what is the maximum size of drive it will accept? Also, would it take a portable hard drive to use as a 'jukebox'?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Yes your car will have a USB port situated in the rear of the centre compartment. Sorry I am unable to answer your other two questions.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I'm pretty certain in the documentation it states that bus powered devices aren't supported, so aslong as you can power the drive up externally (and it's not formatted with NTFS) it should work though some very low power drives may be ok powered via usb. I'll try my 250gb this evening, hopefully it won't blow my port up!
As for max size supported I'm not sure.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Don't know if it will take an external drive but it does have one built in ?

If it does support one and I were adding one - I would go for a solid state drive, far lower power needs, far faster and so manner of bumps or knocks will affect it

·
Registered
202 Posts
Ahh forgot to post my findings - Plugged my 250gb HD in and it powered it up but just sat there displaying the 'Connect USB' message.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Don't know if it will take an external drive but it does have one built in ?

If it does support one and I were adding one - I would go for a solid state drive, far lower power needs, far faster and so manner of bumps or knocks will affect it
I think it has a small one (20gb??) for the navigation maps only.

·
Registered
591 Posts
I think it has a small one (20gb??) for the navigation maps only.
My Honda used to rip all the CD's you played onto it's hard drive.

In reading 'Hard Disk Drive For Music Storage' in the options I took it that the Volvo would do the same ?

Do you think you premium sound was worth the £500? I've been on the fence weather to get it added

·
Registered
202 Posts
My Honda used to rip all the CD's you played onto it's hard drive.

In reading 'Hard Disk Drive For Music Storage' in the options I took it that the Volvo would do the same ?

Do you think you premium sound was worth the £500? I've been on the fence weather to get it added
It's possible that MY15's do have a media HDD now, certainly they've had a major upgrade of the Sensus system to include internet conectivity. The new Nav doesn't appear to be the old Navteq solution but some smartphone based iGo app. Out off interest where did you see the Hard Disc Drive for storage option?

I'm very satisfied with the Premium sound. It seems to have much better control at higher volumes and better separation. It also brings sound stage optimisation, which only has 3 presets unfortunately for various listening positions. The only omission is a sub but it doesn't do too bad considering but if you're really looking for a spine quaking bass it's no where near. For MY15s the option has gone up £100 for which you get HK branded speakers.

I'd recommend a back to back test between the systems which your choice of music if possible.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Out off interest where did you see the Hard Disc Drive for storage option?
I took the exact words from the options book, I tried to scan at the time for you but couldn't post the pic

I'd recommend a back to back test between the systems which your choice of music if possible.
That is a very good idea - I will speak to dealer thx

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.