Volvo V40 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Forum,

Simple and straight forward i got a single random hiccup in my MY2015 V40 D4 190hp. Feeling says it seems like it has something to do with boost or fuel. Only below 3000rpm
Ill try to explain it the best i can;

When rolling at 1200 rpm for example and i accelerate with lets say 50% throttle, the car accelerates towards 2500 rpm the boost starts to build at 1600 rpm something, i feel the boost building and when the rpm hits around 2000 i feel a hiccup(max boost?). It is only 1 single hiccup in the lower rpm, it never happens twice in the same pull. And never above 3000 rpm(because max. boost is in the lower rpm?) The rpm it occurs is not always the same but it only has happened between 1700 and 2500 rpm as far as i have tested recent weeks/month.

The hiccup feels like a fuelcut or misfire, but only occurs when building boost or hitting full boost(which i think is full boost, no gauge), when doing less throttle and moving towards 2500 or more, i dont feel the boost hitting like expected but also no hiccups. so only under boost.

When driving at highwayspeeds around 2000 rpm, and accelerate moderate i also feel the boost building and than the boost all of a sudden is less, but not gone. its not rpm dropping but you feel the "G-forces dropping"- and after the drop it stays that way. You only could feel te difference. The feeling is like a BOV is opening.

Full throttle pulls fine, whole rpm range, no hesitation and the boost feels good. Only hesitates on lower trottle input while boosting.

Went on holiday to Austria and drove 600 miles through germany, when going uphill at something like 70-90 mph(on cruise), the car does hesitate back an forth all the time, so something like boost-nope-boost-nope. Like it cant hold boost at constant or moderate trottle when the engine loads are more since moving uphill. At the time it happens it is fixed by giving some more trottle.

Since the D4 is a sequential- or bi- Turbo i looked at the exhaust bypass valve and wastegate valve, both seem to open fine. the turbo bypass valve actuator (small to big turbo) can be opened without help of a vacuumpump, by that i mean i can open the valve by creating a vacuum by sucking on the vacuum hose comming from the actuator. The compressor side does not have a blowoff valve but a check valve between the big and small turbo, which is operated by a spring, dont know exactly how this works or could cause my problem.

Things i dont think is the problem but could be.

• boost leak, because full boost is fine
  • turbo wastegate and bypass actuator, also replaced both turbo boost actuator solenoids
  • vacuum leak, dont think so, runs fine besides the one single hiccup
  • EGR, since its software-removed and actuator unplugged
  • The car is remapped, since the tune this problem really occured, went back to the tuner and he said everything looked fine. Not hitting torquelimiter or something. Mate with a D4 also remapped at the same guy same day and does not have any problems.
  • fuel should not be a issue, full trottle is fine and reaches maximum rpm well. Or is the max fuel pressure at max boost?
What should i check?
- throttle body sensor? Or more like a sensor like a lambda? Maybe injector? No error codes found, scanned by the volvo dealer.

Its really weird because it only happens once in the pull of that gear, and only when pulling/medium boost. Not like it happening all the way in the rpm multiple times or at full.

Thank you.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G965F met Tapatalk

·
Registered
24 Posts
Had this issue on my v40 d4, it was the t-map sensor on the intake that was bilen. Changed it, works fine now. Hade to do something in VIDA too, I dont remember tho..

Skickat från min SM-G975F via Tapatalk

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
MAP-sensor is replaced 4000 miles ago for a Bosch replacement, which is the main sensor supplier for volvo. So cant be it right? Looks pretty clean too. What was the VIDA thing?

Also it had a new intake manifold 4000 miles ago with new swirl flaps. Installed by the dealer. After that i replaced the MAP sensor myself, cant recal which brand though.

Turbo boost solenoids are swapped with a replacement from a D4 with 60.000k miles on it. Mine has 100.000 miles or 170.000 kilometers.

Is there a way to clean turbo boost sensor?
Or is MAP sensor the only boost sensor?

EDIT: found out between both turbos there is a sensor too, with a large tube to it, should be OE 31319419 which is a exhaust pressure sensor, i added a picture, should be save to unscrew the sensor from the tube? Or couldnt this be the problem?

Today i go the hiccup twice in the rpm range in a pull, also turbo seems to kick in too much on less throttle.
I also tried to do a highway pull with the cruise control buttons instead of using the throttle, so i just bash the + symbol multiple times when driving 60 mph, so i bash it till the cruise-display says 80 mph. Car hiccups alot when it tries to reach 80 mph too, like it wants to boost-not-boost-not-boost.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G965F met Tapatalk

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
today i removed exhaust pressure sensor, not clogged up but cleaned it anyway, also the line which connects the sensor fine, i could blow some air through it. problem stil present

so far:

• Changed Boost control solenoids ( both )
  • check wastegate and turbo bypass for working
  • No vacuum leak found
  • turbo exhaust pressure not clogged up
  • EGR is software and physical disconnected, no plate tho.
  • tommorow testing for boost leaks. EDIT: everything seems fine.
so could it be the tune? a friend has same car same tuner no issues

·
Registered
1 Posts
What tune do you have? Chip/box maped ecu? Some time if its overtuned and The dpf is still on will you can get symtom like that.....

·
Registered
91 Posts
today i removed exhaust pressure sensor, not clogged up but cleaned it anyway, also the line which connects the sensor fine, i could blow some air through it. problem stil present

so far:

• Changed Boost control solenoids ( both )
  • check wastegate and turbo bypass for working
  • No vacuum leak found
  • turbo exhaust pressure not clogged up
  • EGR is software and physical disconnected, no plate tho.
  • tommorow testing for boost leaks. EDIT: everything seems fine.
so could it be the tune? a friend has same car same tuner no issues
has anyone checked the fuel pressure as it could be a week pump.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
What tune do you have? Chip/box maped ecu? Some time if its overtuned and The dpf is still on will you can get symtom like that.....
Its remap, went back to the tuner and het said there whas a code shown up, not in the ECU but in the ECM or something?
code P0471, he did a reset and i went for a drive around the block. he scanned the car again and again a P0471.

so after some research indeed exhaust pressure sensor out of range/high voltage or something. so i ordered a sensor, and boy those are expensive.
sensor should arrive today(EDIT: in a few days because of corona), ill try cleaning the tube it sits on and will report back if it did anything.
EDIT: The tube is impossible to reach on the turbo side to take it of the car, so i tried cleaning it ON the car, its not blocked for sure.

if not, you could be right.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts