Volvo V40 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all has anyone upgraded their v40 driver and passenger side door courtesy lights?

Ive just ordered a set of led upgrades from eBay and was wondering how easy (or not) they may be to replace.....

Cheers

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How did you get on with this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have not attempted yet in case i do more damage than good ? i cant find any instructions anywhere online so debating adding it into my next service

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have not attempted yet in case i do more damage than good i cant find any instructions anywhere online so debating adding it into my next service
Aaah okay. I may remove my mirrors in summer to repaint them so will have a look then. Just need the weather to be mildly warm and dry.

·
Registered
800 Posts
I've seen these in a friends V40 they look pretty good at night, simple to fit, clip out the old and clip these in place.
You get a coloured Volvo image thrown onto the ground about 16-18 inches in diameter.
This seller has put the price up recently from £8.99 to £16, so they must be selling quickly.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I've seen these in a friends V40 they look pretty good at night, simple to fit, clip out the old and clip these in place.
You get a coloured Volvo image thrown onto the ground about 16-18 inches in diameter.
This seller has put the price up recently from £8.99 to £16, so they must be selling quickly.

I can’t make up my mind if I like these or not. Do they actually give off a lot of light? Do you have any photos of them on your mates one that you could post?

·
Registered
800 Posts
They are LED so the image is bright enough, obviously though it depends on the surface it is reflected off.
We have block paving on our drive and when he parks the car on the drive at night and opens the door the image on the ground is very clear & crisp.
I guess they are more for catching the eye rather than being a light to guide you though ?
Then again my standard Volvo puddle lights, which are also LED as standard, dont exactly make the ground glow !

If you think about it, you're probably already standing in a puddle if your close enough to pull on the handle of the door to open it and trigger the "Puddle Light" !!

I know someone who has a brand new Toyota CHR and someone else who has a VW Golf and both cars have a similar LED shadow image puddle lights as standard.
It seems to be the fad at the moment on new builds, just like the tracer indicators that are becoming popular.

I'll try to get a picture next time he's here.

NB:
These shadow lights with the image are the ones that click into the underside of the door and trigger when you open the door, NOT the lights in the base of the mirror, which you have to activate yourself on the keyfob.

I find it an odd system on the Volvo that the mirror lights do not activate when the doors are unlocked and the mirrors unfold.

·
Registered
21 Posts
NB: These shadow lights with the image are the ones that click into the underside of the door and trigger when you open the door said:
Thanks for the update. I didn’t even realise we have lights on the underside of the door! Makes sense as most cars do.

I am also glad you have mentioned about the mirror lights, I haven’t had the car very long and was convinced I was being stupid, I have gone through the settings a few times and can see something for going home lights but it doesn’t seem to work at all or at least as expected. I was expecting the lights to go on when it’s dark, and the doors have been unlocked as you suggest. I will have a look for these lights under the door tomorrow, I either haven’t noticed (likely) or they have died so I can get these ones

The reason for asking about the brightness was for the ones on the mirror. Thanks for your help, appreciate it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts