Volvo V40 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I have a 64 plate V40 D2 ES from new and have just had the gearbox "go" on me. The vehicle has service history and 83K on the clock (timing belt and service just completed).

Recovered by Volvo Assist and now definitely diagnosed as needing a new gearbox at the princely sum of around £3400! The car is probably only worth £4500 now...

Having spoken to the dealer that I originally bought the vehicle from, they'd be really surprised if it was the gearbox and they'd never witnessed or heard of one failing.

Having spoken to the dealer that my car was recovered back to, the message I've had from the service manager is "there is no explanation why the gearbox has failed and its just one of those things" . Also, you're out of warranty but Head Office may be able to offer some kind of good will gesture......

Funny that, I thought that being the owner of 3 Volvo cars in the past, I thought they were trying to sell themselves as real competition for the German brands. Also I thought that Volvos had a reputation for going on forever...

Especially as I'm borrowing a friends V70 which is still on the original gearbox and clutch at 231K!

So, my question is whether anyone else has experienced any similar issues with gearboxes fitted to the V40???? If so, what was deemed the issue (other than the obvious). Was anything done by Volvo??? Surely we shouldn't be expecting a complete unannounced failure of a gearbox after only 83K on the clock???

Any advice or sharing of relevant info would be much appreciated...

·
Registered
68 Posts
I've read similar stories in the past. Most of the folks had their gearbox replaced under warranty (so it failed early). Are you talking about the entire gearbox or just the clutch? I've seen a lot of people discussing the latter but few have the entire gearbox fail on them. Predominantly cars that were registered in 2013 seem to have issues with the gearbox as a whole, though. Most of them are just about the slave cylinder of the clutch leaking.

·
Registered
2 Posts
So, my question is whether anyone else has experienced any similar issues with gearboxes fitted to the V40???? If so, what was deemed the issue (other than the obvious). Was anything done by Volvo??? Surely we shouldn't be expecting a complete unannounced failure of a gearbox after only 83K on the clock???

Hi, how did it go for you in the end? What happened and what was the fault? Is your box a manual or automatic?

I have a 63 plate V40 D2 R Design Automatic. I presume it has the Transmission type MPS6 (Powershift and same as Ford) 1.6 Engine D4162T. Now 64K

Last week I came back from a long drive and got the engine error light and the car switched into "limp mode" with the Transmission Reduced performance. According to Volvo they get the error message that the shift fork C is stuck in the gear box. Dont know if that is really the case or if its a read error. After reading loads it seem to be a common problem and if you're unlucky your box will be a troublemaker.
All my friends that have a Volvo never had a problem with their gearbox.... i mean what is this?????

Thanks

·
Registered
404 Posts
I can't help with the auto box I'm afraid, but we had our manual gearbox refurbished on a 2015 D2 (1.6) last month due to the gearbox bearing gone after 60k. Didn't bother with a main dealer as they are still failing to explain why they charged over £200 for 45 minutes labour to change some brake pads. If you are anywhere near these guys I'd recommend them - https://www.hortoncars.co.uk/

·
Registered
7 Posts
Sadly I would really push for the good will gesture for support, I am not well informed with volvo, but I do a lot of work with dealerships as I manage a fleet for a vending company, we had 2 engines fail on ford focuses due to missed recalls on the engines, untill this, we never used dealership for servicing, and their point was it would have flagged during a service.

Disconnected I know but I add this because both cars had 90k on and we managed to agree they would rebuild 1 of the engines in good will.

Sadly they have nothing to force them to help you out, but if you keep at them they will give you something! Then decide if their number works for you once they offer, or if not get a low independent price and at least ask them to match it, hope you get a result buddy.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I can't help with the auto box I'm afraid, but we had our manual gearbox refurbished on a 2015 D2 (1.6) last month due to the gearbox bearing gone after 60k. Didn't bother with a main dealer as they are still failing to explain why they charged over £200 for 45 minutes labour to change some brake pads. If you are anywhere near these guys I'd recommend them - https://www.hortoncars.co.uk/
Thanks sdp. Was helpful to hear from you and for mentioning Horton Cars. I found them online and they are on my list to contact and see how they can help and what they might charge.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I also am facing some issues with my Powerdrive D2 (MY2015).
Under acceleration, it seems as if the clutch slips getting intermittent power in the wheels.
This happens almost every time I accelerate hard. If I accelerate softly, the driver can feel it - the passengers cannot. When I am slowly starting from stop, i feel as if the car is putting more effort to start.
Could it be the clutch? I am parking on an underground garage and the ramp is somehow steep, so in the mornings i think i am wearing the clutch out.
Should I start by changing the gearbox oil?
75k km on the clock now.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I also am facing some issues with my Powerdrive D2 (MY2015).
Under acceleration, it seems as if the clutch slips getting intermittent power in the wheels.
This happens almost every time I accelerate hard. If I accelerate softly, the driver can feel it - the passengers cannot. When I am slowly starting from stop, i feel as if the car is putting more effort to start.
Could it be the clutch? I am parking on an underground garage and the ramp is somehow steep, so in the mornings i think i am wearing the clutch out.
Should I start by changing the gearbox oil?
75k km on the clock now.
Not sure it will help changing the oil. Depends on what the issue is.

I have the MPS6 (6DCT450) Powershift in my car and after the brake down at 64K miles (103K km) I’ve learned its a troublemaker (also used in Ford, Mitsubishi VW and more).

I took my car to a Volvo dealer and garage at first but they were completely useless. They don’t know much. They wanted to replace the whole box for over £6K!!!!!
I did some research online and contacted a firm that is an expert in automatic gearboxes and they approached this completely different. I’ve learned plenty since then.

It is difficult to make any recommendations as every situation is different. It might be a good Idea to speak to Volvo first (I don’t know what deal you have on your car and with the local dealer regarding warranty, insurance or how it works in your country). Get it on the record and see what they say.

If Volvo aren’t helpful it can be a good idea to find a firm that deals with automatic gearboxes. Let an expert testdrive. See what they have to say. If they think its an idea to spend 3-400 on oil change… maybe you should. But it might be a waste of money. If you want, they can try to analyse your box to see what the problem might be.

You might be lucky and the problem might go away. However if it breaks later it might be more that needs repairing.

In my case the box broke down and the car went into limp mode with the trouble Code P284B meaning Shift Fork C Stuck. The box had to be taken apart to be repaired. There was no other way. It was full of small metal pieces and the filter was dirty. The metal sensors were dirty. They had to fit new speed sensor, filters and clutch pack. It took about 7 days and cost me £2.5K.

I don’t know if an oil change at 30K could have been prevented this. Properly if the box would have been flushed properly to get the metal pieces out. On the other hand my problem could have happened anyway... was it normal wear and tear or just bad parts in my gearbox? I think I was unlucky.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Regarding the 6DCT450 Powershift and oil changes. Been doing some research.

In Volvos service schedule for 2014 Models:
Engine/Transmission/ Timing gear check for leaks at 20K, 40K, 60K miles and so on. In the event of a leak from the transmission, check the oil level.

Automatic transmission fluid level, check/adjust at 50K, 100K miles and so on
"Check automatic transmission fluid level only if an external leak is identified. Volvo recommends changing transmission fluid every 50,000 miles/80,000 kilometers, only on vehicles used for towing, or when a message appears in the instrument panel text window."Find this very confusing. Towing or not.... I guess a fluid similar to brake fluid, coolant and engine oil needs to be changed and be in a good state. Even if the change of gearbox oil doesn't have to be as frequent.

Some experts says the 6DCT450 Powershift should have a change of oil and filter every 30K miles (48.2K km). And maybe not only a simple change. Apparently changing oil in an automatic gearbox is more delicate and needs to be done with great care. Some comments say to flush out the metal pieces so they won't clog or damage sensors and more is to recommend. This is based on the experience from these boxes that are very common in Ford cars.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I took it at a non Volvo dealer (couldn't find anyone else working on a Saturday). The mechanic, without driving the car, suggested that it is the valve actuator (if I am properly translating it) that costs around 4k brand new. The car has 75,000kms and has been serviced by the authorised dealer since day 1. The gearoil has never been changed.

Tomorrow I will take it to a Volvo dealer and see what they say on this. The problem persists. Under heavy acceleration you can feel one clunk followed by a short intermittence of power. When accelerating normally, you cannot feel a thing.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Back from the volvo dealer. Together with a mechanic, we took the car for a ride. He noticed as well the issues mentioned (so at least I am not crazy).
He suggested an oil change in the gearbox and he mentioned that this should have been done 6 months ago (when the car was 4 years old). I scheduled this oil and filter change for mid-December (travelling until then). He mentioned that this should do the trick and he coulnd't spot anything else troublesome...
Let's see :)

·
Registered
102 Posts
Update: yesterday I had to travel 500km. After 200km from start, the slipping was much more obvious, especially when starting and accelerating (not hard) to 120km/h. This remained more or less unchanged until i reached my destination. My wise guess is that the perished gearbox oil boiled from the continuous use and this is what caused the issue. I have another 1200km tomorrow. I hope everything goes well....

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi all, I have a 64 plate V40 D2 ES from new and have just had the gearbox "go" on me. The vehicle has service history and 83K on the clock (timing belt and service just completed).

Recovered by Volvo Assist and now definitely diagnosed as needing a new gearbox at the princely sum of around £3400! The car is probably only worth £4500 now...

Having spoken to the dealer that I originally bought the vehicle from, they'd be really surprised if it was the gearbox and they'd never witnessed or heard of one failing.

Having spoken to the dealer that my car was recovered back to, the message I've had from the service manager is "there is no explanation why the gearbox has failed and its just one of those things" . Also, you're out of warranty but Head Office may be able to offer some kind of good will gesture......

Funny that, I thought that being the owner of 3 Volvo cars in the past, I thought they were trying to sell themselves as real competition for the German brands. Also I thought that Volvos had a reputation for going on forever...

Especially as I'm borrowing a friends V70 which is still on the original gearbox and clutch at 231K!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts