Volvo V40 Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
I have just downloaded the Map update for my V40 and on installing it it is asking for a License Number?

Any idea how I get this and if you have to purchase it?

Thanks.
You have a pre-MY14.5 V40 with the original Sensus Nevigation system. The map updates for this system were originally supplied on DVDs and required a licence key hashed from the car's VIN (to prevent them being used on any other car) to activate them. The first two DVD updates after purchase were free, and were around £130 for each after that. Dealers could perform map updates without a DVD by downloading them onto a USB stick from Volvo's server and loading them via the USB port after entering the licence key (which is why you are seeing that message).

A couple of years ago Volvo's navigation system supplier Here decided to discontinue making update DVDs (post-MY14.5 cars with Sensus Connect had free USB map updates that owners could download via Volvo's website that did not require a licence key), Volvo had to create a new version of the Navigation application for cars with the older Sensus system to allow them to receive the free USB updates without requiring the licence key.

You need to go to a Volvo dealer and ask them to update the Navigation application on your car to the latest version that accepts free USB updates (there will be a cost for this).

·
Registered
85 Posts
Buzby is spot on with his information, My Nav was updated by DVD for the first 2yrs, I was now told by the dealer to buy a 32gb USB Stick and download from the computer, after 2 hours to download onto the usb stick I put it into the car usb port it asked for licence No.
I phoned the dealer who then said it would have to come into workshop for a soft wear update. I have been given 2 quotes £140 and £80.

·
Registered
V40 D3 SE LUX NAV 2013 Winter illumination pack
7 Posts
Buzby is spot on with his information, My Nav was updated by DVD for the first 2yrs, I was now told by the dealer to buy a 32gb USB Stick and download from the computer, after 2 hours to download onto the usb stick I put it into the car usb port it asked for licence No.
I phoned the dealer who then said it would have to come into workshop for a soft wear update. I have been given 2 quotes £140 and £80.
I’m in the same situation, been quoted £120 for the software upgrade which will take an hour they say. Did you go ahead with it or not?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts