Volvo V40 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just saying Hi, waiting for my 40 to arrive, anyone here got the D2 auto ? interested to hear comments, cheers:p

·
Registered
196 Posts
Although I don't have one, I have driven the D2 in manual form and can confirm that for a small engine it certainly is nippy. Best of all would be the economy you'll get from it. As for the auto, I know it's much better than the one in my C30 and I don't find that one bad, so you'll be more than happy with the combination.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
202 Posts
Hi,

I think ih8modem has a powershift D2 - Search the forum for his posts, I'm sure he's put feedback on how the D2 auto performs.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info, btw, has anyone fitted an aftermarket chip to their D2 ? whats the experience ?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi,

I test drove the D2 auto but opted for the manual due to lower emissions as its a company car. The auto was very good and seemed to be very smooth through the gears. I agree with other comments too, the engine is surprisingly nippy and pulls well. Much better than I though, given the weight of the car.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hm, I have to admit having tried the golf auto, and the gearbox was an absolute pleasure, a 7 speed dsg, pity it was the only thing i liked about it, interior was like being in a black and dark grey coffin, very depressing ! and....i just didnt fancy being just another golf in a sea of golfs, hehe

·
Registered
221 Posts
:)

I do indeed have the D2 powershift. Personally I love it. It is very smooth and we have found it to be responsive in normal mode, and for the times you want to prepare for overtaking or whatever, switch it over to sport mode. Sport mode has different programmed points for shifting, so will shift down quite predictably. The throttle response also definitely sharpens up. I also love that it disables auto-stop, so can be useful when waiting at a busy intersection.

So far my fuel consumption in town was around 38MPG for the first 500 miles or so, but now the car is beginning to loosen up and we are getting 43 MPG in town. On the open road, 63-65 MPG is normal, and I have managed 68 when driving particularly carefully. This is just looking at the onboard computer.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Interesting comments ih8, thank you. Do I understand correctly, that the auto braking system will not function when the gearbox is in sport mode ? or is it just disabled when you switch once you are on the move ?

·
Registered
221 Posts
Interesting comments ih8, thank you. Do I understand correctly, that the auto braking system will not function when the gearbox is in sport mode ? or is it just disabled when you switch once you are on the move ?
City safety is always on (the auto brake system). What gets disabled is the system that switches the engine off every time you come to a stop. It is known as auto-stop/start.

In an auto it can be a pain, as it works when the car speed drops to 0 and your foot is still on the brake pedal. This means as you come to a stop at a stop street, it turns off and you may be ready to go again within 1 second, which means the car has to start again before moving off.

In sport mode, the auto-stop/start is disabled, and the car sets the idle RPM slightly higher, which makes for a smoother pull-off. In my car the normal idle is around 800 RPM, with sport mode it is around 1050 RPM.

Finally in sport mode, you can also then push or pull the lever to manually force a gear change as well.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ah, got it now, thanks. Just can't wait to try it on my own car ! hehe, delivery ???? sometime soon !

1 - 11 of 11 Posts