Volvo V40 Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey all!

My name: Pedro, Im from from South Africa, and for the first time I bought a Volvo!

My recent cars have been:
Mini John Cooper Works '09 (Pulled 289 bhp)
Abarth 500C Esseesse '12

And now...

Volvo R-Design D3 Polestar.

I have been looking into trading in my car, as lately my backpain has not been helping, and I pass a lot of time driving around.. although I unconditionally love my Abarth, it got to a point that I needed to take a decision.

Owning a couple of Carwashes, I get to try out a lot of different cars, and few are the ones that captures my eyes! I get to know some common faults on the models, and sometimes its actually shocking!

Why Volvo?

- Vw Golf / Audi A3 - To common, boring, hate that start noise.
- Bmw 1 Series - Overpriced, boring, to common
- Merc A Class - Loved it, but overpriced and more and more are seen on the road...
- Volvo V40 - Did an intense study on it, and a connection started growing with this car... So I kept checking the ads on cars... and.......love at first site!

Luckly in SA volvo has been very kind in supplying many options standard on the cars.

So Let me expalin:

Volvo V40 R-Design Plus Geartronic comes with:
Standard
- Headlamp Cleaners
- Lockable wheel bolts
- Keyless Entry PSC
- Active Bi-xenon
- High performance Sound multimedia
- Park assist pilot
- Speed dependent steering
- Interior lighting, high version
- 18" Wheels

Options Its loaded with
- Power seat, passanger
- Heated Front Seats
- Heated back seats
- Air quality system
- BLIS
- Rear parking Camera
- Clean zone interior
- Sunroof
- Dynamic Chassis with lowered springs
- Polestar (YEY!) Although.. Heico has better output nrs.
- Double sided Smash and Grab (thicker than normal)
- Spoiler has been painted in black gloss for a different look

And thats about it =)

Pictures:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
I think this is a security measure. A film that goes on the glass and hinders the burglar in the street from smashing a car window and lifting something off the seat etc. I could be wrong though. :D

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey all, tks for the reply.

Smash and Grab is tinted film on the windows, they call it smash and grab in SA because as kev says, when you in traffic stopped, its common for thieves to smash the window and grab something so fast and then just run off... if only I was a sniper...

With the Windows film, there are several thicknesses...

- 100 micron (basically just for the sun)
- 150 micron (a bit more stronger so that it makes it harder to smash the window)
- 200 micron (known as double film, this is very strong)
- 300 micron (even stronger)
- 450 micron (bullet proof film, but only for certain calibers, and only fits specific cars as its thick! )

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hi Pedro

Lovely looking car! I have a D3 R Design on order myself and no doubt will be interested in a Polestar upgrade. Is the upgrade available to D4 performance or can it be increased further?

Thanks

Tim

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi Pedro

Lovely looking car! I have a D3 R Design on order myself and no doubt will be interested in a Polestar upgrade. Is the upgrade available to D4 performance or can it be increased further?

Thanks

Tim
Hey Tim,
Its a hard wait hey? ahaha... I feel like I have ants in my pants...

On the polestar website there is nothing for the D4 yet, dont know if they will have available.
However, you can check out RICA, in some countries Volvo accepts the ECU upgrade from them without a problem with warranty. Heico has nothing yet for the D4...

However, RICA and HEICO do have something special for the D3 = 201bhp with 480nm... sounds soooooo good! But unfortunately those makes are not approved by Volvo South Africa. And because in SA there is a maintenance plan (you only pay for petrol and tyres) if they notice something is very different and not approved, they cancel warranty and the maintenance plan.

Maybe you will be more lucky on your side!

BTW, D4 in SA is only available with the crossover =(

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hi Pedro

Thanks for your reply. However, it's a D3 I have on order like yourself! I was really asking about the Polestar upgrade for the D3. I mean confirming it's max currently is to D4 spec?

Thanks

Tim

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey tim,

The d3 polestar had the same outputs as the d4, however have a look at heico and rica, as their ecu upgrades go up to 201 bhp and 480nm :)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hi Pedro

As thought and yes the Heico & Rica are enticing..... But, same as you here in the UK regarding warranty issues....

I'm assuming there will be a Polestar upgrade for the D4 at some point that will allow D3 owners to also make the leap. Well, it's a thought!

Cheers

Tim

·
Premium Member
630 Posts
Welcome Pedro.

Is that the demo from Tom Campher, saw it last week on Autotrader? You lucky son of a gun.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi voodoo, yep, thats the one! :) it was love at first site... I was able to sell my abarth for my settlement amount privatly, because trade in value was very low!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Hi Pedro, that is one good looking car with a very desirable spec! I want one.........

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Tks petrust,
it is indeed very nicely speced, although I would of traded in the heated seats for something else if I could..

The only things I'm thinking of doing is taking out the Particle filter (this is not europe!) and want volvo to tune the exhaust, I like to hear the 5 Cilinder diesel engines =)
And have the radar detecter installed and dashcam.. and voila! good to go!
Cant wait to be driving it... =/

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi Pedro. Would you by any chance know what the Polestar upgrade costs in SA? I am about to order the V40 T3 - Design. It pushes 110kw and after the Polestar update is applied, I am looking at 132kw....

·
Premium Member
630 Posts
Hi Pedro. Would you by any chance know what the Polestar upgrade costs in SA? I am about to order the V40 T3 - Design. It pushes 110kw and after the Polestar update is applied, I am looking at 132kw....
Polestar upgrades only apply to certain year models. Check the polestar site if the 2014 model has Polestar.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.