Volvo V40 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, well i'm thinking of joining the V40 club and trading in my trusty old bus (Nissan X-Trail)

Its the first time buying new for me, thought i'd treat myself and really like the look of the new engines, I test drove a D2 R-Design Lux Nav the older gen and was really impressed, the D2 115 is a great little motor and was going to be my first choice until I heard about the new edrive engine that will be fitted.

I'm very happy with the standard trim on the demonstrator, only my better half wants the panoramic glass roof, so have opted for the Xenium pack which also adds sensors, which makes up my dream package although I am a little confused as to what comes as standard so maybe someone can clear up what exactly I get as this will be a direct from factory and not bought as seen.

So what other packages are included as standard on a R-Design Lux Nav

i'm assuming:
-Winter illumination pack,
-Comfort pack

I'm specifying the Xenium pack as an optional extra to get the panoramic roof, powered seats, and reversing sensors.

Sports pack is this included?
No mention of adjustable steering force, although this feature does not bother me, its the sports chassis I am interested in knowing if this is standard, or if not what is the dynamic chassis mentioned in literature?

I ask as on the Volvo website the V40 configurator really confuses as if you spec the rdesign lux nav you lose the rain sensor wipers and other features over the paper literature i have in front of me, so what is an accurate way of knowing exactly what I get for my money.

Hope someone can clear things up.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Welcome to the forum, I am sure you will enjoy your V40.
Regarding the details, ask your dealer to go through the spec, and ensure you know what is being included, and what isn't. Are you in the UK?

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Hi Wizzy, I am from the UK, and I kid you not it was only the cleaner on duty at my local dealer, she kindly gave me the keys to the demo car so i gave it a good gentle drive around and loved it. Have tried Nissan Qashqai, VW Golf, Kia Sportage looked at a few other offerings, so the Volvo looks to be the way forward for us.
I've contacted several of the larger dealers in my surrounding area to find the most competitive deal, although even they didn't seem to know what you get for sure, referring to the same source material as me, we'll be visiting a hopefully manned by real salesman dealer on Sunday, and want to be armed with as much knowledge as possible to get the right package for me.
Although lead times on a D4 are pretty long so patience is going to be needed.

I worked out the way the Volvo website works so can see exactly the trim options to expect.

Only thing I am now unclear on is the sports suspension, in my literature it says the lowered sports chassis is D2 manual only in rdesign trim?

·
Registered
252 Posts
I agree the literature is confusing, especially regarding options/accessories.

I think it means the sports suspension is only an option on the D2 R-design (as the other R-design derivatives have it as standard?).
There are other differences too with the D2 version of R design for instance the wheel and tyre sizes are different, perhaps they are the same with the sports suspension package?

·
Registered
591 Posts

They do a lux winter pack which is just heated screen & seats as other aspects are standard

Leather is an FOC option

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

They do a lux winter pack which is just heated screen & seats as other aspects are standard

Leather is an FOC option
Ok thanks, I'll have to go through that with the dealer as the rdesign lux nav we test drove had heated seats and we were lead to believe it was an off the shelf model in solid colour. Heated seats is an option I would like but are not specifically mentioned as an rdesign standard option in the literature.
They say they are trying to make options simple by bundling them in packs, so I worked on the assumption it has the illuminated gear knob it'll have the Lux Winter pack.

DarrenT3 the sports suspension as standard on models above the D2 would make sense, again something I'll have to clear up.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Arb,
I am in Hampshire near Portsmouth. My dealer is excellent, and very helpful. If you are this way I would recommend them. Cambridge Garage Bedhampton.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Morning, the brochure and price guide are much simpler to understand than the website, get hold of one of them.

However, don't be surprised when you want to add an option and have to add a different option in order to have it, a prime example being you have to have cruise control in order to have on call! These are all marked in the brochure.

I shopped around and got some good deals lined up but was then told if I took a quote in from www.drivethedeal.co.uk the dealer would match it, this was about an 11% discount on ended up saving me a small fortune.

I can definitely recommend lee aspin (think that's his surname!) at TMS Volvo Coventry, my mother in law, father in law and I have all ordered a V40 at the same time and he has been great.

·
Registered
591 Posts
DarrenT3 the sports suspension as standard on models above the D2 would make sense, again something I'll have to clear up.
My understanding is the sports suspension is only standard on the D2 R-Design for whatever reason and not standard fitment on the D3 or D4.

I have also read it is not a good upgrade and is far too 'harsh' - not that I have ever driven anything I considered the ride to harsh personally as I like things on the firm side.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My understanding is the sports suspension is only standard on the D2 R-Design for whatever reason and not standard fitment on the D3 or D4.

I have also read it is not a good upgrade and is far too 'harsh' - not that I have ever driven anything I considered the ride to harsh personally as I like things on the firm side.
So Jifen, have you spec'd sports suspension? The D2 I tested was on the firm side, I gave it a run on some pretty poor pocked marked single track and didn't find it to bad nothing like my boat of a motor and I actually have brakes that work! Maybe the extra tyre profile of the 17" rims help.

My local dealer Royston Vasey Volvo I feel is not going to be able to make me a the deal I want, so going into Johnsons of Oxford as they are my next nearest.

I've had a call round and found a good deal at Chigwell Volvo in London and another dealership in Birmingham.
Unless anyone else knows of a good dealers near Wantage in Oxfordshire?

And thanks for the dealer suggestions so far, I'll give them all call in the week once I'm 100% on colour and equipment/options choice.

·
Registered
591 Posts
So Jifen, have you spec'd sports suspension? The D2 I tested was on the firm side, I gave it a run on some pretty poor pocked marked single track and didn't find it to bad nothing like my boat of a motor and I actually have brakes that work! Maybe the extra tyre profile of the 17" rims help.

My local dealer Royston Vasey Volvo I feel is not going to be able to make me a the deal I want, so going into Johnsons of Oxford as they are my next nearest.

I've had a call round and found a good deal at Chigwell Volvo in London and another dealership in Birmingham.
Unless anyone else knows of a good dealers near Wantage in Oxfordshire?

And thanks for the dealer suggestions so far, I'll give them all call in the week once I'm 100% on colour and equipment/options choice.
I didn't but you have had me thinknig (and done some more reading). I have ordered tints and whilst mine has been on order 8+ weeks it has still not gone live so I have emailed my dealer to see if I have option to change still - as it's not a lot to change from the tints to the sports pack... lets see.

Only way to buy a new car - carwow.co.uk, enter details and let UK dealers bid on best deal. Either take best deal or take into your local dealer and see if they will match it

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Jifen the sports chassis is a free option, you have the option to specify it or not depending on what ride qaulity you like. It seems the only option you will miss out on by not getting the sports pack is adjustable steering force if you've already specified tints.

I'm specifiying the Xenium pack which also includes the comfort pack as standard.

And from what I see if you get a lux nav it will also include the winter illumination pack as standard.

So basically if I buy a rdesign lux nav, it will have everything apart from the Xenium pack and driver support pack, and no tints, adjustable steering force or headlight cleaning system. Or the banging wide boy stereo system.

·
Registered
202 Posts
So basically if I buy a rdesign lux nav, it will have everything apart from the Xenium pack and driver support pack, and no tints, adjustable steering force or headlight cleaning system. Or the banging wide boy stereo system.
Yep!

·
Registered
591 Posts
Jifen the sports chassis is a free option

And from what I see if you get a lux nav it will also include the winter illumination pack as standard.
Mine was changed today to the sports pack & I added the detachable towball (to fit a 3 bike rack)

Some of the winter pack is native to the Lux but not all, they do a Lux winter pack which is less money and just has the missing bits which is heated screen & seats

Sports suspension is not free @ £500, tints are £300, steering force is £100 (£900) but sports pack which includes all these is £675, I traded in my tints only so paid and extra £375 for sports chassis & steering force

·
Registered
202 Posts
For me the adjustable steering is a bit of a gimmick, much less useful than I first thought. I tried all the settings once, settled on one and haven't touched it since.
It only adjusts 1 level above and 1 down above standard but what makes it less worthwhile is you've got to go thru multiple menus to adjust it so it's not like it's easy to set for parking or firm it up for spirited driving. And then it's not linked to the PCC seat/mirror memory system so it can be set for individual drivers automatically either. All a bit of an afterthought really.

·
Registered
591 Posts
For me the adjustable steering is a bit of a gimmick, much less useful than I first thought. I tried all the settings once, settled on one and haven't touched it since.
It only adjusts 1 level above and 1 down above standard but what makes it less worthwhile is you've got to go thru multiple menus to adjust it so it's not like it's easy to set for parking or firm it up for spirited driving. And then it's not linked to the PCC seat/mirror memory system so it can be set for individual drivers automatically either. All a bit of an afterthought really.
Oh poo - will it remeber what you leave it set at though or do you need to change it every time you get in ?

I really took the option for the sports Chassis and effectively got the steering force FOC

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Oh poo - will it remeber what you leave it set at though or do you need to change it every time you get in ?

I really took the option for the sports Chassis and effectively got the steering force FOC
I imagine it will remember your setting, like you have said with the sports pack it's like having a foc option anyway.
I'm shying away from the sports pack because I am concerned with the rough roads I commute on daily will make the ride to harsh and more prone to stone chips, I've also heard the chassis is pretty firm anyway.

I was told at the weekend heated seats were included, but looking at the brochure it makes sense that it is not, although I am peeved at this being another additional to add to an already top spec V40, oh well time to twist the arm of some dealers to see if I can get it thrown in.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I imagine it will remember your setting, like you have said with the sports pack it's like having a foc option anyway.
I'm shying away from the sports pack because I am concerned with the rough roads I commute on daily will make the ride to harsh and more prone to stone chips, I've also heard the chassis is pretty firm anyway.

I was told at the weekend heated seats were included, but looking at the brochure it makes sense that it is not, although I am peeved at this being another additional to add to an already top spec V40, oh well time to twist the arm of some dealers to see if I can get it thrown in.
It does remember the setting.

I don't find too harsh. It's firm but not uncomfortably so, may be worse with 18's but I suppose it's depends on what you'd consider uncomfortable. It will crash a bit or uneven and extremely rough surfaces but not spine-jarringly so.

My heated seats were part of the Lux spec, in the fronts at least. Rears were an addition.

Well done on the order - You won't be disappointed.

Reactions: jifen

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
God **** getting last minute doubts about that sports pack, I've read a lot of reviews and it seems 50/50 some say sports pack adversely affects the ride making it less settled in corners and that the standard dynamic chassis handles better.
Others say the sports pack makes it sharper with no adverse effects on handling.

Having only D2 with a standard sports suspension fitted (as the D2 in standard guise has a comfort chassis, and all other variants have a lowered dynamic chassis as standard regards of r design pack) I'm not sure how the D4 will handle before it arrives.

I don't want a harsh ride with no gain to handling, I can understand some drivers want the lowered look. All I want is good ride and handling.

So has anyone tried both the standard dynamic chassis and sports pack? And can they give an opinion?

There is a D3 SE Lux to demo nearby will this drive the same as an rdesign?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.