Volvo V40 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently bought an approved used Volvo from my local dealer.

Upon delivery I noticed some of the wheel nut covers were missing. I am waiting for these to be sorted.

However, yesterday I noticed an issue with the "sills" as shown on image. I realise this part is just a plastic cover over the actual structure underneath. It looks to me as tho it isn't clipped in properly. I tried pushing it in but it won't grab and just pops out.

The passenger side is the same. But not as bad.

I thought approved Volvo's were supposed to undergo 150 checks?? Seems odd that something like this and the wheel nut covers wouldn't be sorted out before delivery. Also my tyre pressures were all 4 psi lower than the recommended settings.

It's only been a week since I collected the car and I am already losing patience with the dealership tbh.

The sill issue should be fixable, right?

Sent from my XQ-AS52 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
235 Posts
as annoying as it is, straight back to the dealer with this. we dont part with 5 figure sums to end up with cars that look like they came from auction. polite but firm call monday morning:)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
as annoying as it is, straight back to the dealer with this. we dont part with 5 figure sums to end up with cars that look like they came from auction. polite but firm call monday morning:)

I actually popped in yesterday, unannounced as the dealership was on my way home from doing some shopping.

The person who sold me that car did say they would sort it and would order some new clips etc then have it in to be refitted.

But, despite me mentioning the wheel nut covers a week ago when i collected the car, they still haven't been ordered.

I told him i was not happy as its supposed to have 150 checks and these things should not happen, i also explained that i do not expect to wait weeks for these things to be rectified.

So, how long do i give it before i call again? How long to parts take to arrive when ordered?

Can i escalate to Volvo customer service?

Sorry for all the questions but i am really annoyed at myself as well as the dealership tbh.

·
Registered
8 Posts
We got an approved Volvo V40 through the Selekt scheme too.

No idea what the 150 checks are.

Does anyone know?

Perhaps ours was done by Stevie Wonder.

Once the slime they put on the tyres to dress them wore off, one of them had a rip in it.

There were also loads of dried leaves under the bonnet.

The dealer offered to replace the tyre, we were to do it and they'd refund us.

Off we went to Costco only to find it had the wrong locking wheel nut.

In the end we got a free service from the dealer, so the super expensive Volvo oil change.

We got the car six months ago, but I wonder what else they missed (skipped) or tried to hide.

The first service and MOT is next month (before the three year warranty expires).

We'll see what else needs done.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Previously when I have had brand new Skodas. The customer service have been awesome at dealing with any issues. I can already feel that I am going to need to kick off to get this sorted.

Not an ideal entry into Volvo ownership.

Can anyone answer me on this. If a part isn't in stock and the dealership needs to order it, how long typically would it take for the part to arrive?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Booked in at dealership next Monday. They are coming to collect the car. Told them I was extremely disappointed and this isn't what I expected at all from a premium brand and so called "approved" vehicle with 150 checks.

Another thing I did was charge the battery as I was getting a warning regards the stop/start system. Again, something I would have expected 150 checks to have, well, checked.

Battery charged and BMS reset and now the only message showing under DriveE says about the engine not being upto temp so stop/start is unavailable. This seems fair enough and I will be traveling for work later in the week so will see how it goes.

The salesman did say that they are hoping to reverse my disappointment. We will see, based on my experience I'm not expecting anything.

·
Registered
235 Posts
ask if they would extend the warranty for you, some peace of mind with the not so perfect start to the new car. I worked at vw and the customer expectation was horrendous, any little thing wrong and the aftersales manager gave servicing, tyres, and even wheels away just to ensure 5 stars on the satisfaction survey

·
Registered
235 Posts
I haven't been approached about a "satisfaction survey" yet.
never did get mine... after 9 dealer visits for the same issues, the first one still not fixed 18 mths later, doubt they'd want my opinion 😂
anyway, the 150 checks dont mean theyll be put right, just a tick sheet for the auditor

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
never did get mine... after 9 dealer visits for the same issues, the first one still not fixed 18 mths later, doubt they'd want my opinion 😂
anyway, the 150 checks dont mean theyll be put right, just a tick sheet for the auditor
They have the wrong person to get into a fight with. I successfully rejected a new Skoda Octavia s few years back after multiple returns to the dealer. I was told by the dealer that I wouldn't be able to reject it. Challenge accepted,I replied. Took it all the way to the CEO of Skoda UK. His office called me and one of his team told me he had read my "dossier" of dissatisfaction and uttered "if that was my car, I would want it f***ing sorting too". New replacement car received a couple of weeks later. Never had an issue with it. When I collected it I told the dealership "I told you so". Lol. And also got a food hamper sent as a token of goodwill. We were offered an overnight stay in a fancy hotel but couldn't due to lack of childcare at the time. So accepted the luxury hamper.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So. The car is at the dealers today. Several other things I wanted sorting including the sills. They are getting a new battery for me as I pointed out that it wasn't very well charged when delivered. Should be here tomorrow. Also the drivers side wing mirror is wobbly. Lol. Not just the glass. The whole thing from where it folds in. The dealer has said it may need to come from Sweden and could take a couple of weeks. Is this the case ? Or is it more dealer bull?

·
Registered
235 Posts
The dealer has said it may need to come from Sweden and could take a couple of weeks. Is this the case ? Or is it more dealer bull?
Unlikely a almost consumable item would not be in UK stock... Probably doing it through used cars "late costs", to avoid awkward questions of how well the car was prepped.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So, the sill covers are now much better.

However, there is still a slight gap all the way along them tbh.

Looking at some photos online It would seem as though they would never be fully watertight and I guess they don't need to be as they are not structural.

Just seems a bit of an odd design and I am also worried about when it comes to needing new tyres, if it is jacked wrongly that it will dislodge or damage the sill cover.

Any advice or info or perhaps a photo of others would be very gratefully received.

Maybe I am worrying needlessly.

·
Registered
240 Posts
They are covers for styling and aerodynamics. They don't need nor will be watertight, the same as clip on rubbing strips or sill covers on other vehicles. If you look beneath them, they have cut outs exposing the sill pinch weld at the recommended jacking points. It's possible to raise the car with quite large rubber blocks on the jacking points without interfering with the sill covers. Yes, if someone was to jack up the car inappropriately it could damage the covers or cause them to detach, in the same way that it could also cause damage to the metal sill or other structural elements on a V40 or any other vehicle if the correct jacking points weren't used. Whilst you can never count on everyone that you interact with having a reasonable level of intelligence, the jacking points should be pretty obvious to anyone with experience of working on vehicles.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts