Volvo V40 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I'm am looking to put 20mm spacers on my v40 R-design MY2015. What are my options and where can I buy them?

Thanks, I'm new here btw:)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hello Dino and welcome to the forum. I'm guessing that you want to increase the sporty look of the car by putting in spacers? I think I'm fairly safe in saying that most people on the forum would warn against doing this as it is likely to upset the steering and wheel geometry. The best route if you REALLY want to do this is have a chat with a Volvo garage and see what they say?

Don't know how old your car is...what version etc etc, but it'll be out of warranty scope for sure (if it's young enough) and then theres the advising the insurer too.

Sounds a bit negative...sorry I have not answered your question in the way you probably wanted!!

·
Registered
34 Posts
There are plenty of disadvantages and only one (aesthetic) advantage. On top of that, 20 mm is quite a lot.

I think there are better things to buy for a car.

·
Registered
942 Posts
A warm welcome to the forum & to V40 ownership Dino241! It's a great car isn't it :smile2:

I would have to agree with the comments so far I'm afraid, at least until the warranty is up as I'd suggest 20mm spacers would constitute a voided warranty...
At the very least, as Markle has suggested, run it past Volvo first.
My rule of thumb has ALWAYS been NEVER give a manufacturer ANY excuse to weasel out of warranty repairs because they WILL take it :frown2:

After that, if you still want to do it by all means go for it.
Enjoy your V40 :wink2:

·
Registered
837 Posts
Another point to take in is that if the car has had bigger alloys put it on from new, for example going from the standard 17" up to say 18" or 19", it would of had the steering altered at manufacture.

I'm not exactly sure what is done, but when opting for a larger rim from new there is a mechanical alteration done at point of manufacture, so pushing the rims out by 20mm will have an impact on this.

It wasn't until after I took ownership of my V40 that I noticed how opting for 18" alloys affected the turning circle on my R-Design.

I think Buzby touched on this in another thread ?

·
Registered
153 Posts
Reactions: chiptivo

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
First of all, thanks to everyone for your welcome :) I have the car for just over a year now (bought in jan 2016) and i really enjoy the car very much, but i just think the car being r-design it should be a little lower and wheels should be a little wider out so i would first like to put spacers and after the waranty runs out maybe eibach springs, and even 18" ixion wheels. Thanks for all the warnings i will try to speak to volvo dealer before doing anything but i have spoken to the local mechanic and he said it should not affect the car in any way, not sure if that is true though...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Another point to take in is that if the car has had bigger alloys put it on from new, for example going from the standard 17" up to say 18" or 19", it would of had the steering altered at manufacture.

I'm not exactly sure what is done, but when opting for a larger rim from new there is a mechanical alteration done at point of manufacture, so pushing the rims out by 20mm will have an impact on this.

It wasn't until after I took ownership of my V40 that I noticed how opting for 18" alloys affected the turning circle on my R-Design.

I think Buzby touched on this in another thread ?

My car has the 17" wheels from factory. What would that mean if i were to put spacers? And one more thing, if i were to put larger wheels on the car at any point, is there something with the software or anything else that would require a change?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Bunch of info in an earlier thread that I posted: http://www.volvov40club.com/forums/16-volvo-v40-modifications/4618-eibach-springs-spacers.html - installed Eibach spacers 15/20mm f&r respectively for just over 3 years now.

FWIW, my spacers did not void my warranty at my dealer; that said, I dint claim for anything related to wheels/suspension during these first 3 years.

My stock Michelin PS lasted 58k, with tyre rotation done every 10k km.

HTH. :)

So you used the eibach spacers and there were no issues? I see that you have 18" wheels but my car has 17" so i am not sure that everything would fit as it has on yours..

Thanks for the information :)

·
Registered
153 Posts
So you used the eibach spacers and there were no issues? I see that you have 18" wheels but my car has 17" so i am not sure that everything would fit as it has on yours..

Thanks for the information :)
No issues *thus far*. Was 18" Ixion previously and now Advan Racing RSII.

You need to confirm your wheels offset, but assuming it's stock Volvo 17", it should be conservative, and shouldn't pose a problem with fender rubbing issues.

·
Registered
837 Posts
@ Dino,
This is how my dealer explained it, and Buzby mentioned very similar in a previous thread.

If your car came with the standard 17" rims from new and you opted to upgrade for a larger rim, ie 18" or 19" there is a mechanical alteration done at point of manufacture, to avoid wheel V wing impact.
This is probably why upgrading with your dealer is a bit expensive as the cost covers the mechanical alteration and the actual bigger alloy.
If I remember correctly I paid £800 to upgrade from the stock 17" Ixion that came with my R-Design to the 18" Ixion.

I would imagine that if you already had 18" rims from new and you later decided to go up to 19" then that should be ok because the mechanics would have already been altered at point of manufacture.

As for software being impacted, I'm no expert but I would guess that the bigger you go from standard it must have a bearing on how your speed is calculated, so opting for bigger wheels from new probably also takes this into account when the car is manufactured ?

I do agree that the standard R-Design lacks something in the "looks" department, it doesn't have that sporty look unless you pay to have bigger wheels and perhaps opt for the Sports suspension upgrade.

I think the Sports suspension option was a ridiculous price when I bought my car last year, I'm sure it was around £2000, hence not getting it, but opting for the Xenium pack instead, which in my opinion gives a nice look to the V40.

Also I'm sure the Sports suspension was standard on the D2 R-Design, but extra all other models, go figure !!

Volvo also offer an upgrade R-Design rear spoiler kit, I think it cost something like £650 at the time I had it.

Personally I think the R-design should have these cosmetic upgrades as standard, but obviously Volvo can see £££££ signs by offering them as optional upgrades.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No issues *thus far*. Was 18" Ixion previously and now Advan Racing RSII.

You need to confirm your wheels offset, but assuming it's stock Volvo 17", it should be conservative, and shouldn't pose a problem with fender rubbing issues.
Glad to hear that :)

Thanks axl!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
@ Dino,
This is how my dealer explained it, and Buzby mentioned very similar in a previous thread.

If your car came with the standard 17" rims from new and you opted to upgrade for a larger rim, ie 18" or 19" there is a mechanical alteration done at point of manufacture, to avoid wheel V wing impact.
This is probably why upgrading with your dealer is a bit expensive as the cost covers the mechanical alteration and the actual bigger alloy.
If I remember correctly I paid £800 to upgrade from the stock 17" Ixion that came with my R-Design to the 18" Ixion.

I would imagine that if you already had 18" rims from new and you later decided to go up to 19" then that should be ok because the mechanics would have already been altered at point of manufacture.

As for software being impacted, I'm no expert but I would guess that the bigger you go from standard it must have a bearing on how your speed is calculated, so opting for bigger wheels from new probably also takes this into account when the car is manufactured ?

I do agree that the standard R-Design lacks something in the "looks" department, it doesn't have that sporty look unless you pay to have bigger wheels and perhaps opt for the Sports suspension upgrade.

I think the Sports suspension option was a ridiculous price when I bought my car last year, I'm sure it was around £2000, hence not getting it, but opting for the Xenium pack instead, which in my opinion gives a nice look to the V40.

Also I'm sure the Sports suspension was standard on the D2 R-Design, but extra all other models, go figure !!

Volvo also offer an upgrade R-Design rear spoiler kit, I think it cost something like £650 at the time I had it.

Personally I think the R-design should have these cosmetic upgrades as standard, but obviously Volvo can see £££££ signs by offering them as optional upgrades.
Yeah I agree it is ridiculously expensive when doing it with Volvo.

I think buzby said if you had 225/45-17 tires on your car you probably have 7.5J wheels which it the same width as 18" and should have the right software and steering rack limiters installed. My car has a D2 engine but the 2.0 l and has the tire that i mentioned before. Older D2's had the 205/50-17 tire and i think that theese also had the sport suspension as standard but not the 2.0l ones.

Thank you very much for all informations jactac, if you know that what I said is true or false i would appreciate the reply :)

·
Registered
837 Posts
I dont really know what tyres are on other models if I'm honest or much about the mechanical set up.

Buzby is more knowledgable when it comes the the V40 !

However, I have clearly noticed how poor the turning circle is on my car with the 18" wheels, so when I asked about this at my dealers they said it's because of the modification that is carried out at point of manufacture to allow for the bigger alloys, as opposed to the standard 17" which do not need this modification, whatever that is ?

From what they said I took it that anything up from 17" would require the modification(s), whether that be mechanical and or software ?

I had 19" rims on my previous car (Peugeot RCZ) but the turning circle was far better than the V40 with 18" rims.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I think that are the steering rack limiters because you probably put the wider wheels on your car and it would rub when in full lock. I just checked and my wheels are 7.5J so if i where to change to 18" the width would stay the same because volvo ixion II 18" wheels are also 7.5J and that should not be the problem then and nothing would require a change except maybe a software update. The guys where I was today to check the width of my wheels said that the only thing that software would probably change is the speedometer and that in the worst case without the software update the speedometer will show 2-3km/h more which isn't an issue.

Tbh the turning circle on my V40 isn't great at all, but my dad had S60 r-design with 18" a couple of years ago and it was even worse but i think that is just because the car is bigger than V40.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Just curious here, but if the standard 17" alloy is the same width (7.5j) as the upgraded 18" Ixion, which I opted for, why did mine need the steering rack modification at point of manufacture ?
Unless the Ixion II that you mention is a different width to the 18" Ixion that I upgraded to, personally I think they are the same wheel ?

I've looked at the Ixion II on the Volvo site and it looks exactly like the ones on my car, I dont think there is a Ixion I and a Ixion II, but I might be wrong ?

Also could it be that the width of the alloy is not the issue, when going from 17" to 18", especially if they are both 7.5j, but the overall outside diameter could be where the consideration has to be taken into account ?

A wider diameter takes up that little bit more room under the wheel arch, hence problems with wheel V arch impact on cornering ect, unless the modification has been carried out .

Just a thought.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
These are the wheels I have currently on my car, but I think mine are 7.5J (I might be wrong)

http://accessories.volvocars.com/en-gb/V40(13-)/Accessories/Document/VCC-490790/2016/T3

And these are the ones that i want to change to:

http://accessories.volvocars.com/en-gb/V40(13-)/Accessories/Document/VCC-490818/2016/T3

So there are more versions of Ixion wheels for sure.

Anyway, next week I will be going to the dealers garage for some other reasons but I will ask him about the wheel change and the exact dimensions of my wheels.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Looking at both those links its the Ixion II that I have.

So if they are both the same width, 7.5j, I can only assume it's the change in diameter that calls for the modification ?

Did you read the notes on the link for the 18" Ixion ?

Note!
Cars manufactured from and including model year 2014 must only be equipped with wheel sizes approved according to Aluminium wheels, approved dimensions.
Note!
Not recommended in combination with snow chains.
1. 18" wheels require steering deflection limiters in the front wheel housing.
2. Ordered according to separate procedures and downloaded using VIDA.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yeah, they are much nicer than mine

It is because of the width, my wheels are 7J (not 7.5J as I tought) but just have the wider tires so everything that you have mentioned would need to be changed if opting for 18" wheels.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts