Volvo V40 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there. I just got my new v40 with a T3 engine and it has the automatic gearbox. I have some questions that you guys may be able to help me.
1. Can I switch to -R+ while driving or do I have to come to a full stop before doing so. Someone told me that I should not do this while driving as it might damage the gearbox.
2. When you have the -R+ set on the gearbox what are the changes being made to the car. I mean apart form being faster is there a change made in the suspension, pedals etc.?
3. Have you seen any improvement in fuel consumption while driving an auto with the eco button pressed?
4. Does anyone have an average on the consumption in the T3 motor?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum,
I have a T5 with geartronic gearbox, I am not sure if yours is the geartronic or the powershift gearbox.
1. I frequently shift to -R+ (sports mode) while driving if I need to do some overtaking or have some fun. I have not noticed any damage to the gearbox and the salesman told me that this was an option while driving. Perhaps someone has read the manual to see if this is indeed safe :).
2. As soon as I change to sport mode, the gearbox changes down a gear to get the revs a bit higher and makes the throttle much more sensitive. I cannot say that I feel a difference in the steering, but I do know that I need to start concentrating and keep my concentration as it responds very quickly to input while driving in sports mode.
3. My fuel consumption improves by 0.6l/100km when using the eco mode button (and reduces by 0.6l/100km when in sports mode).
4. Cannot help with the fuel consumption on the T3.
Cheers

·
Registered
159 Posts
I have a MY16 T3 Geartronic, so it has the Ford 1500cc engine in it. Yes you can shift across to sport mode whenever you like, as previously suggested, but it will drop down a gear accompanied by a rise in engine revs, so you may like to shift up quite soon. There are no changes made to steering or suspension characteristics as far as I am aware. Pressing the 'Eco' button will certainly improve the fuel consumption - and will change a few things.
1)The heater system will not function quite as nicely, due to the air con now being shut off or altered. It will now mist up more easily, and feel more 'stuffy'.
2) The car will 'coast' along with much reduced revs on a lighter throttle setting, and the engine will switch off sooner when coming to a halt.
3) With some mileage under its belt, expect to see 35/37 miles per gallon (imperial gallons not US gallons).
Enjoy the lovely motoring!

·
Registered
128 Posts
A caution to consider is that the geartronic gearbox, in eco mode, is prone to auto stop start a bit quicker than normal and I have had a few instances where I could not accelerate out of an intersection because the stop-start was stop / starting a few times. What I'm trying to say is that in eco mode you may have to wait for a bigger gap before joining traffic from standstill at intersections.

The only other thing I've learnt so far with the car is that the tyres need to be rotated every 7000km instead of every 10000km to avoid a droning noise on the rear wheels.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have just purchased the Volvo v40 T3 Cross Country and just starting to feel confident in it trying to learn all the buttons & functions think this site will be helpful for me, and any help or suggestions will be greatly apriciated .

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have a MY16 T3 Geartronic, so it has the Ford 1500cc engine in it. Yes you can shift across to sport mode whenever you like, as previously suggested, but it will drop down a gear accompanied by a rise in engine revs, so you may like to shift up quite soon. There are no changes made to steering or suspension characteristics as far as I am aware. Pressing the 'Eco' button will certainly improve the fuel consumption - and will change a few things.
1)The heater system will not function quite as nicely, due to the air con now being shut off or altered. It will now mist up more easily, and feel more 'stuffy'.
2) The car will 'coast' along with much reduced revs on a lighter throttle setting, and the engine will switch off sooner when coming to a halt.
3) With some mileage under its belt, expect to see 35/37 miles per gallon (imperial gallons not US gallons).
Enjoy the lovely motoring!
Is it really a Ford Ecoboost engine? I understood it was Volvo's own inhouse unit. Why is a 2.0 used with the manual version and a 1.5 with the auto version of the T3?

·
Registered
234 Posts
Is it really a Ford Ecoboost engine? I understood it was Volvo's own inhouse unit. Why is a 2.0 used with the manual version and a 1.5 with the auto version of the T3?
1.5 (from 2016) onwards should be VEA engine. I have this specific engine in T3 Geartronic form. I agree with previous comments, Eco+ mode does give some marginal economy gains, approaching a roundabout I usually reach to switch off the SS, so engine remains on. First 2k miles on clock, it's so not economical, averages 35ish over city, and extra urban driving. After 2k miles, the average creeps up towads 39-40mpg mark. long stints on 40-50mph roads can yield just above 50mpg, and highway journies, get approx 47-48mpg.

·
Registered
31 Posts
1.5 (from 2016) onwards should be VEA engine. I have this specific engine in T3 Geartronic form. I agree with previous comments, Eco+ mode does give some marginal economy gains, approaching a roundabout I usually reach to switch off the SS, so engine remains on. First 2k miles on clock, it's so not economical, averages 35ish over city, and extra urban driving. After 2k miles, the average creeps up towads 39-40mpg mark. long stints on 40-50mph roads can yield just above 50mpg, and highway journies, get approx 47-48mpg.
Likewise - but I am certainly not getting that highway mileage. Average is currently 39.5mpg. I must say that it sounds terrible when started from cold but in operation it's a very smooth and responsive engine with good torque levels.

·
Registered
18 Posts
It was a Ford Ecoboost originally, but they changed it at some point ~2015-2016 I think. My 16 plate T3 is definitely a Volvo VEA engine (you can check using the VIN).

·
Registered
234 Posts
Likewise - but I am certainly not getting that highway mileage. Average is currently 39.5mpg. I must say that it sounds terrible when started from cold but in operation it's a very smooth and responsive engine with good torque levels.
In fairness I set the Cruise control on 67-68mph, if I do 70-73mph, I would probably get 45ish mpg. However our averages are the same...as I do quite a lot of city driving. Yes cold start sounds a bit asthmatic...coming from a 1.0TSI and 2.0TDI cars from VAG that would both do easily 55+mpg on highway, the V40 has poor fuel economy on their petrols by comparison.

·
Registered
31 Posts
It was a Ford Ecoboost originally, but they changed it at some point ~2015-2016 I think. My 16 plate T3 is definitely a Volvo VEA engine (you can check using the VIN).
The 1.5 is a Volvo VEA engine - I just wonder was it developed from scratch or is it a modified version of the Ford unit.

·
Registered
102 Posts
It started life under Ford ownership so some linking must be inevitable. Ford were going down the normal 'value' route so if you look at their equivalent you can see the 'value' choices. The intercooler is an engine mounted water cooled sandwich rather than a proper radiator. The Volvo uses an electric water pump for intelligent cooling so it warms up faster (and still runs when the Stop Start kicks in). The Volvo has a very elegant accessory belt system with spring loading.
But the basic architecture is very similar to the Ford 1600 (that led to their 1500) and I can see similar casting designs.

·
Registered
31 Posts
An “elegant” belt system - I must have a look! Interesting information. It’s not a bad engine at all - very good torque for a 1.5 petrol - but I’ve never heard a less appealing noise when starred from cold! Speaking of start/stop, I wish it would only kick in when the car has been stopped for a few seconds. Annoying when pulling up to park and it kicks in prior to engaging R.

·
Registered
234 Posts
An “elegant” belt system - I must have a look! Interesting information. It’s not a bad engine at all - very good torque for a 1.5 petrol - but I’ve never heard a less appealing noise when starred from cold! Speaking of start/stop, I wish it would only kick in when the car has been stopped for a few seconds. Annoying when pulling up to park and it kicks in prior to engaging R.
And any onlookers thinking, this person has stalled their engine! bahaha...did some overtaking on single lane country roads last weekend, it does have some go! And LED lights in these unlit country roads on full beam, wow!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts