Volvo V40 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I have seen threads regarding fuel consumption, but I'm am looking for a few people that have the T3 to let me know what their fuel consumption is.

I am currently having an argument with Volvo regarding the consumption and would just like to know if my expectations are unrealistic.

Currently I am getting around 8.7 to 9.0l/100km (read off of the cars trip computer) this is on mixed driving.
My trip to work and back is around 60KM a day. For around 15KM of that trip I will be in stop go traffic. the remainder of the trip will be open road but with a speed limit of 80KM/H which I rarely exceed.

I need to note that the car only has 2000KM on the clock, so am not sure at what point the motor will be run in? (if this even makes a difference to the consumption).

What figure are you getting? and would my expectations of around 7.something l\100KM for my kind of driving be out of reach?

·
Registered
116 Posts
There's not a huge amount of petrol V40's about here in the UK but I've had my T3 (manual) for nearly a year and driven just over 7000 miles. My average in a mix of motorway/fast road with the odd bit of town stop-start driving is usually around 40mpg (7litres per 100km) The car has delivered this sort of MPG from new

The 15km of stop go traffic you mention will drag your mpg down but I wouldn't expect it to drop as low as you mention unless you have an auto gearbox!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've had my T3 (manual) for nearly a year and driven just over 7000 miles. My average in a mix of motorway/fast road with the odd bit of town stop-start driving is usually around 40mpg (7litres per 100km) The car has delivered this sort of MPG from new

The 15km of stop go traffic you mention will drag your mpg down but I wouldn't expect it to drop as low as you mention unless you have an auto gearbox!
Its a manual. Apparently we don't get Auto T3's here.

Interested to see what other T3 drivers get. I would think 7.something l\100KM would be acceptable.
The 9.0l\100KM is almost as much as I was getting in my old 2006 Focus ST.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for that Jetstar,

Seems like my figures are on par with those when putting you root down a bit.
Which I don't think I do.
Think I will need to take this baby for a long run to see what I get on the open road.

Such a pity though, in all my other cars that I have owned I managed to achieve close to advertised consumption. (by close I mean within 1l\100KM):s

Still be interested to see what other are getting.

·
Premium Member
630 Posts
Your fuel consumption sounds about right. I had a T3 for a year, 15 km to work from home, just in between houses driving, got 11 l/100km. My D3 runs at 10.6 at the moment, same route. My Mazda 3 2.0l sport did 10.3. Toolmantim will also tell you his T5 is not light on fuel in heavy traffic.

I have also complained here on the board about the figures they claim to get on the website, as those figures aren't true. My buddy drives an Audi A4 1.8t and also doesn't get what Audi's claims the car should be getting. All the manufacturers say their new turbo motors are more economical, bullshit. I still have to see one new car that actually gets what they claim.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wouldn't that be false advertising then?
One of the main reasons that I bought this car was to get lower fuel consumption.
My V40 is now using the same amount of fuel that my 2006 2L Hyundai Tucson did, that is shocking.

·
Registered
630 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
46 Posts
I don't know if that helps you but I have a T4 Polestar with below 1500 km on it and during my 15km trip to work I am getting 7.7 to 8 lt/100km which I find perfectly acceptable considering the performance (which I haven't yet see since I am not passing 3000 rpm). This of course is while driving very gentle (no need to press it in town). Maybe you have to reconsider the way you drive it arround town ?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I don't know if that helps you but I have a T4 Polestar with below 1500 km on it and during my 15km trip to work I am getting 7.7 to 8 lt/100km which I find perfectly acceptable considering the performance (which I haven't yet see since I am not passing 3000 rpm). This of course is while driving very gentle (no need to press it in town). Maybe you have to reconsider the way you drive it arround town ?
Ok so I need to load Polestar, sounds like a plan ;) :idea:
I currently change under 3000 rpm myself.
When I do get the car back (been at the stealership for a week now) I will try some more driving tweaks. :confused:

·
Registered
116 Posts
In my opinion and experience you can easily take 20% off any manufacturers "book" MPG figures to get real world figures.

For instance, according to Volvo a manual T3 is supposed to do 53.3 mpg combined. I get 42-43 mpg on a good day which is exactly 20% less!

Its time manufacturers were forced to ditch these fiddled tests!!

·
Premium Member
630 Posts
I think the manufacturers must come to Johannesburg, ask me to drive the cars, and then use those city driving figures for their websites, brochures etc. :)

·
Registered
252 Posts
Owned my T3 manual for almost 3 months and travelled 2000 miles.
The lowest instant readout has been 45.0 and highest 49.7.
My longterm average since purchase is 46.2 MPG (6.1l/100km)

Very pleased with the engine which has a delightful balance between economy and performance, in normal driving it is quite frugal but also and has plenty of power on demand when the need arises for quick acceleration.

I do very little town driving, but do agree that sub 30MPH driving hits economy hard, this I believe is due to the excessively high-gearing.

It's my opinion T3 drive-ability would benefit if all ratios from 2nd to 6th were slightly lower geared?
Especially 3rd which achieves 30MPH at just 1800RPM,this necessitates a drop to 2nd to negotiate corners and junctions in town and increases fuel consumption.
I also find 6th a bit irrelevant because as soon as traffic builds up and starts to slow on the motorway I am reaching for 5th because under 65MPH the T3 is more economical in 5th.

Perhaps there ought to be an option of a close-ratio gearbox for the petrol models?
This would give the excellent T3 engine the transmission it deserves and improve the sporty feel for the enthusiastic driver.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
So I eventually got my car back from Volvo.
Drove it back to work with mild traffic. While sticking to the speed limit no hard acceleration. When on a long straight stretch I used cruise control, managed to achieve 6.4l\100km.

So morning and evening traffic really effect the consumption...badly.

Mind you the trip was no fun, I felt the urge to put my foot down so often.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.