Volvo V40 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

The V40 was released last week in Australia, and I'm looking at the V40 T4. All reviews (from Europe/UK) relate to the 1.6 turbo 4 GDi engine, yet we're getting a 2ltr 5 cylinder version which puts out the same power (132kw), but does not appear to have direct injection:
http://www.volvocars.com/au/all-cars/volvo-v40/specifications/pages/technical-spec.aspx

We also don't get the double-clutch auto, but instead the 6-speed slushbox.

I'm guessing it's an older engine from a superceded model range, perhaps one we didn't get in Australia because the engine config doesn't look familiar.

Does anyone out there know about this engine? what has it been in before and what are its tuning capabilities? According to Volvo Australia's website, it has engine name B5254T12, but that must be a mistake because it's the same engine name for the T5.

Any help or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers, Kieran

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
OK - so I"ve worked out its model code is B5204T8: https://www.media.volvocars.com/global/.../en.../42507_1_5.aspx
It looks like it's the same engine, compression, etc as the 'lesser' T5 B5204T9, which puts out 157kw (213hp), and is presumably being released in other markets. Presumably the only difference is in the ECU. Does anyone know whether the turbo, exhaust and other bits and pieces are the same? the gearbox seems to be the same (same aslo as the 2.5 T5). Any tuners out there offering chip-tuning for these lesser-known engines?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I too am considering the T4, having driven one in Sydney earlier this week. A bit disappointed that the Aust spec T4 appears to be a de-tuned version of the 2L engine in some other markets, although I can understand Volvo Australia want to put some space between the the T4 and T5.

Kieran, I think you're spot on about the ECU tune being the difference. From what I can gather from a web search, both the B5204T8 and B5204T9 engines have the same key dimensions and a flat peak torque of 300Nm. The B..T8 torque tails off above 4000rpm, but the B..T9 continues at 300Nm to 5000rpm, hence the higher power output. Hopefully a Polestar chip may be on offer, although I understand 4 cylinder DI engines that Euro markets receive now will be replacing the 5 cyl donks in 2014. A pity, as the 5 cylinder V40 I drove makes a very pleasing growl under load!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
VolvOz said:
I too am considering the T4, having driven one in Sydney earlier this week.

Hi VolvOz - did you buy a T4? I was not able to find an answer to my ECU query from Volvo or anyone else, so I instead put in an order for a T5 with a couple of options. I now must wait until August for delivery, as the options I wanted (DSP + keyless entry/drive + Ice White) didn't appear to be readily available.

Good luck with your decision and purchase.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi Kieran. Congrats on your order for a T5. I am awaiting local release of the Audi A3 Sportback next month so I can do a back to back comparison. Coming from a MkV Golf GTI, I am looking for something a little more grown up, but still sporty, and with 5 door hatch practicality.

As for delivery lead time, I was advised earlier this month that even if I ordered now, I would be waiting until August (T4 Lux with keyless drive), so another month or so will not make much difference, other than prolonging the anticipation of a new car! I may even hold off for a MY14 spec, which I understand will be built from August onwards.

Look forward to news and pics when you receive your T5.
cheers
David

1 - 5 of 5 Posts