Volvo V40 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good day,

The V40 was launched yesterday in my country (Malaysia).

What really turned me off was the downgrades applied to the Malaysian variant.

The T5 only had a 213hp 2.0 engine, compared to the 254hp 2.5 T5 available elsewhere.

The brochure from my Volvo dealer did not mention anything about adaptive cruise control, lane keeping with haptic steering, pedestrian airbag, GPS (although it's got a 7" touchscreen, not sure whether it has GPS or not), dusk sensor for headlamps, active high beam and iOS in the Car integration (Volvo was one of the manufacturers that signed up for iOS in the Car at Apple WWDC in June 2013).

Can anyone here familiar with the Malaysian variant of the V40 clarify whether all these are available in the T5 (Malaysia) or not?

Both T4 and T5 variants here come with everything else as standard (BLIS, CTA, City Safety, etc), except the items listed above. Auto-parking is standard on T5 only and not available on the T4 at all.

Thank you.

PS I wonder why Volvo put a much less powerful engine in the Malaysian variant.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Good day,

The V40 was launched yesterday in my country (Malaysia).

What really turned me off was the downgrades applied to the Malaysian variant.

The T5 only had a 213hp 2.0 engine, compared to the 254hp 2.5 T5 available elsewhere.

The brochure from my Volvo dealer did not mention anything about adaptive cruise control, lane keeping with haptic steering, pedestrian airbag, GPS (although it's got a 7" touchscreen, not sure whether it has GPS or not), dusk sensor for headlamps, active high beam and iOS in the Car integration (Volvo was one of the manufacturers that signed up for iOS in the Car at Apple WWDC in June 2013).

Can anyone here familiar with the Malaysian variant of the V40 clarify whether all these are available in the T5 (Malaysia) or not?

Both T4 and T5 variants here come with everything else as standard (BLIS, CTA, City Safety, etc), except the items listed above. Auto-parking is standard on T5 only and not available on the T4 at all.

Thank you.

PS I wonder why Volvo put a much less powerful engine in the Malaysian variant.
Is it a 5 cylinder engine, or only 4 cylinder? Is it possible they are going straight to the new engines ? (VRE)

·
Registered
26 Posts
The T5 available in Malaysia appears to be a remapped version of the T4 we receive in Australia, with an inline 5 cyl 2 litre engine running the same 6 speed auto as in the 2.5 litre (ie, not double clutch). From what you say, it appears to be pretty well specced. Things like BLIS, CTA, auto-parking etc are all options for the T5 in Australia.

The following link will show the specs of the T5 you're looking at: https://www.media.volvocars.com/global/enhanced/en-gb/models/2014/v40/model/specifications.aspx (if it doesn't take you directly, then click "model", "V40" and "Technical Data"). It's still good for 0-100 in 6.9 sec and has better fuel efficiency than the 2.5T5. Given that it has less torque and probably a lighter engine, it may also be more nimble to throw around. I'd certainly take it for a test drive before dismissing it (I drove the AUstralian T4 - which has a detuned version of that engine + same gearbox - and found it fun and responsive to drive).
Tomorrow, I'm picking up my T5....

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The T5 available in Malaysia appears to be a remapped version of the T4 we receive in Australia, with an inline 5 cyl 2 litre engine running the same 6 speed auto as in the 2.5 litre (ie, not double clutch). From what you say, it appears to be pretty well specced. Things like BLIS, CTA, auto-parking etc are all options for the T5 in Australia.

The following link will show the specs of the T5 you're looking at: https://www.media.volvocars.com/global/enhanced/en-gb/models/2014/v40/model/specifications.aspx (if it doesn't take you directly, then click "model", "V40" and "Technical Data"). It's still good for 0-100 in 6.9 sec and has better fuel efficiency than the 2.5T5. Given that it has less torque and probably a lighter engine, it may also be more nimble to throw around. I'd certainly take it for a test drive before dismissing it (I drove the AUstralian T4 - which has a detuned version of that engine + same gearbox - and found it fun and responsive to drive).
Tomorrow, I'm picking up my T5....
Good day mate.

I just got back from my dealer today and...bad news. Although it comes with City Safety, CTA, BLIS (standard across all Volvos in Malaysia), auto parking and dusk sensing headlamps with tunnel detection, it doesn't come with pedestrian detection, adaptive cruise control and lane-keeping with haptic steering. These 3 are standard in the Malaysian S60 T5 and T6 (albeit without the haptic steering in lane-keeping).

Yeah, I guess you could say that the Volvos in my country are pretty high specced, because all T5s and T6s across all models come with City Safety, pedestrian detection and lane-keeping as standard. T4 variants only have City Safety and BLIS as standard.

T3 and diesel models don't exist here, largely because the T3 engine produces a pathetic amount of power. Diesel quality here is a joke (Euro 2.5 standard). Petrol here consists of RON95, 97 and 98. RON 98 here costs A$1 a litre, while RON 95 is half of that per litre.

I myself refuel with RON98 because RON95 seems to give slower accelerations and increased fuel consumption.

I currently drive an S60 T6 myself now (bought in 2012) and tuned by Polestar.

Anyway mate, thanks for the feedback!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts