Volvo V40 Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Over here it's the price that seems limiting to me. If I spec a V40 T5 how I want it, it comes in at about £36k... Problem is that for the same price, I can get the Audi S3 with a very similar spec, 300bhp, DSG gearbox and 4 wheel drive.

However, when all is said and done, the V40 is so much better to look at! Audi's are every where over here too.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I forgot to add that if the reviewer is going to rate 'fun value' 19 to 14 out of 20 to the GTI then he should have included 'looks and styling' which I would have scored it 19 to 14 to the Volvo.

·
Premium Member
630 Posts
Over here it's the price that seems limiting to me. If I spec a V40 T5 how I want it, it comes in at about £36k... Problem is that for the same price, I can get the Audi S3 with a very similar spec, 300bhp, DSG gearbox and 4 wheel drive.

However, when all is said and done, the V40 is so much better to look at! Audi's are every where over here too.
Here in South Africa, the S3 is certainly not the same price as a T5 R-Design, way more expensive

·
Premium Member
630 Posts
If that guy in the review thinks the geartronic box is awful, then he hasn't been in a manual T3 yet. I again think the geartronic is very nice, much better than my dad's BMW 320d auto.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Here in South Africa, the S3 is certainly not the same price as a T5 R-Design, way more expensive
It's amazing how much the price differs from one country to another, I would have assumed that there would have been a similar gap in price between cars everywhere.

As for geartronic, I've got it on my C30 and can't really complain. I've had no issues and the gearing is good. The version in the V40 is meant to be much improved too.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Over here in Singapore, the S3's list price is... get this... USD196k. :thumbdown:

·
Premium Member
630 Posts
If I go onto Volvo SA, and build the car on the car configurator, selecting the standard R-Design package, no sat nav, rear camera, blind sport alert etc, but has park assist pilot & keyless entry, the car comes to R426000.

The Audi S3 3 door, starts at R493000

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The new Golf R 7 fully loaded with all options is around AUD$67k driveaway in Australia includes leather, DSG, Adaptive Cruise, Roof) everything else is standard. You maybe able to negotiate AUD$62k driveaway.
Fully loaded V40 T5 R is approx AUD63k - glass roof, driver support pack, heated front seats, keyless drive (this does not include met paint, premium stereo).
Volvo will need to sharpen their pricing if they want to compete - I'm really tempted to change over to the Golf R next year - lets see what Volvo has up it's sleeve.

·
Registered
196 Posts
For sure, the VW and Audi offerings are very good. And the DSG box with the paddle shifters is out of this world. I think the reason I'll stick with Volvo is due to the styling and reliability. Add that to the fact that I see at least 10 S3's each day, and can go weeks without seeing a V40.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Speaking about paddle shifters... if only VCC comes out with a retrofit kit, for us current owners. Ggr!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah, I think I'm getting ahead of myself. I've got 5 years free servicing and a 5 year warranty on my V40 - I know that Audi and VW cannot compete with that & yes reliability is a huge factor when forking out that amount of cash-:)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.