Volvo V40 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd be interested to know if anyone else has had similar problems with their V40. I've had a number of different issues and bottom line, I haven't seen my car in almost 10 weeks. I've had the car since Nov 2012 and this is a brief(ish) summary of the technical problems I've had:

1. Rattling from the undercarriage - had to take it to the garage twice in order for them to fix (first time they didn't believe me); turned out to be a loose bolt. Now fixed.

2. Squeeky brakes - I thought the brakes just needed wearing in but after a few thousand miles it clearly was a problem. Calipers needed replacing (required 2 trips to garage as they didn't have the parts first time around). Fixed now.

3. Windscreen washer pump recall - think everyone had this issue (another trip to the garage).

4. The rear window heater would not turn off automatically - not a major problem but on a visit to the garage for another issue I asked them to fix it. They didn't believe me at first and said it was fine. Then on another visit I asked the garage to look at it and they then admitted there was a problem. They tried to fix it but couldn't, they then gave it back during a holiday period.

5. Over that holiday period I then noticed the heating vents for the footwells were broken. Gave the car back to have this fixed and point 4 fixed. I haven't seen my car for almost 10 weeks now as they have not been able to fix this problem.

I won't go into the small details but I've argued for a new car and cancelling the contract, Volvo agreed to neither. None of the above are necessary major faults but I have had so much hassle in being in and out of courtesy cars, constantly speaking with Volvo, and going back and forth to the garage (I'm like a member of the family down there ... albeit a pissed off one). The technical people from Volvo HQ are now trying to fix the problem (although not having any more luck). It's probably an electrical issue but they simply cannot isolate it.

I can certainly say that I'm not particularly impressed with my first Vovlo. Although I know one shouldn't make a judgement based on one bad expereince but it's leaving a bad taste in my mouth. Hope the rest of you are having more enjoyment from your new cars ...

·
Registered
718 Posts
sjbillingham, sorry to hear the problems you have had with your Volvo. I have to say that I haven't had any problems apart from a slight rattle in the door pillar which was fixed immediately. Yes there have been a couple of recalls, but I expect that with any car.
You don't say where you are located, although that shouldn't be a factor.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Sounds like a friday afternoon car, such a shame that you're having so many issues. Stick in there, I'm certain they'll fix it and you'll have many happy miles to go.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the commiserations guys. Every week brings a new hope!

@wizzy the car is from Lex Lease and I'm based near London ... although the car was registered in Bolton (I think).

@Marc Friday afternoon car is exactly my thoughts!

·
Registered
630 Posts
Sounds like a friday afternoon car, .............
There's no such thing as a Friday afternoon car. All parts and sub-assemblies are made at different times at different locations, and quality control of manufacture and final assembly (a lot of which will be carried out by robots) will be just as strict on Friday afternoon as at any other time. This is 2013 not 1913!

·
Registered
196 Posts
There's no such thing as a Friday afternoon car. All parts and sub-assemblies are made at different times at different locations, and quality control of manufacture and final assembly (a lot of which will be carried out by robots) will be just as strict on Friday afternoon as at any other time. This is 2013 not 1913!
I'm sure you know that wasn't literal statement, more just a comment that a lemon can get through regardless of quality control. It's rare but it happens.

In this case it's minor and I'm sure it'll be sorted out soon enough.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I drive a Ford at this moment and had very bad luck with it too. Then I switched dealership. Ok, I will have to drive further to the workshop, but since I changed my car is perfect.

What I mean to say is, try a different Volvo dealer, if I bring my car in for a problem and they dont't believe me it's the last visit to that workshop. Come on, they don't believe you?

·
Premium Member
630 Posts
I also had some issues, new gearbox after 2000km, and rattle in passenger door, which is still there, but now different. When you play loud music, and the panel vibrates, that is now what I hear. Will take car back to dealer, as more sponge will have to be inserted.

The rattle from the front is apparently fairly normal on all the new V40, lots of road noise coming through, especially if you have very low profile wheels, like mine. I believe the new Merc A Class is even worse.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
@Roseplace - you're right. They didn't say that they didn't believe me but I got that impression. I'm so far down the line with this dealership plus Volvo Headoffice technical are now involved. Although for the future I am going to look at other garages.

·
Registered
630 Posts
I'm sure you know that wasn't literal statement, ..........
I know people who have never worked in a manufacturing environment who think that the only thing on the mind of workers on a Friday afternoon is to get to the end of the shift and to get home for the weekend, and that consequently the quality of products made on a Friday afternoon is lower than at other times. Some people know very little about (and have no interest in) the process of manufacturing cars.

·
Premium Member
630 Posts
@VoodooBOB - sounds like you're having similar fun to me.
Yip. I must say, since my car was at another dealer, one of the best once in Johannesburg, it is a lot better. I am in the fortunate situation that I have a very good friend at Volvo SA, I have "VIP" status, lol.

·
Registered
630 Posts
I'd be interested to know if anyone else has had similar problems with their V40. I've had a number of different issues and bottom line, I haven't seen my car in almost 10 weeks. I've had the car since Nov 2012 and this is a brief(ish) summary of the technical problems I've had:

1. Rattling from the undercarriage - had to take it to the garage twice in order for them to fix (first time they didn't believe me); turned out to be a loose bolt. Now fixed.

2. Squeeky brakes - I thought the brakes just needed wearing in but after a few thousand miles it clearly was a problem. Calipers needed replacing (required 2 trips to garage as they didn't have the parts first time around). Fixed now.

3. Windscreen washer pump recall - think everyone had this issue (another trip to the garage).

4. The rear window heater would not turn off automatically - not a major problem but on a visit to the garage for another issue I asked them to fix it. They didn't believe me at first and said it was fine. Then on another visit I asked the garage to look at it and they then admitted there was a problem. They tried to fix it but couldn't, they then gave it back during a holiday period.

5. Over that holiday period I then noticed the heating vents for the footwells were broken. Gave the car back to have this fixed and point 4 fixed. I haven't seen my car for almost 10 weeks now as they have not been able to fix this problem.

I won't go into the small details but I've argued for a new car and cancelling the contract, Volvo agreed to neither. None of the above are necessary major faults but I have had so much hassle in being in and out of courtesy cars, constantly speaking with Volvo, and going back and forth to the garage (I'm like a member of the family down there ... albeit a pissed off one). The technical people from Volvo HQ are now trying to fix the problem (although not having any more luck). It's probably an electrical issue but they simply cannot isolate it.

I can certainly say that I'm not particularly impressed with my first Vovlo. Although I know one shouldn't make a judgement based on one bad expereince but it's leaving a bad taste in my mouth. Hope the rest of you are having more enjoyment from your new cars ...
Considering the relatively small number of V40 owners that are members of the V40 Owners Club, there have been a lot of problems reported. It's very disappointing.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It is concerning, I agree. I never know what is normal. This is a brand new design, brand new car, and one of the first made; does that mean problems are to be expected?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts