Volvo V40 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I'm new here but I have some questions I think people may be able to answer.

I drive a black V40 // T2 // 2.0L // 122HP from 2018 and will do a chiptuning next month and they will get me to 190/220HP and 400 torque.

After I will upgrade my 16" alloys to 18" Volvo Ixion ll, anything I should know or do with this upgrade?
And with this upgrade I also want my wheels to be pushed outwards a little more, I've read about spacers..
How much mm should I get to get the back and front wheels even with the wheel arches so it looks fitted/more muscular/sporty?

Also after a little bit more of 2 years driving this car, I still have the V40 badge in chrome on the back, is it possible to safely remove it without damaging the paint?

I will also change my oval double rear exhaust to the r design one in the near future.
R Design rear diffusor really grew on me and I regret that I didn't get it when I was putting my car together.

Thanks

·
Registered
290 Posts
Hi there, I can't answer all your questions, but I can tell you this:
  • for sure you will enjoy the power and torque!!! Who is going to do the remap? Just curious. I was at APEC Deinze.
  • be carefull with bigger wheels: something like a wheel angle limiter might be needed. Check with your Volvo dealer.
  • badges can be removed with dental floss after heating up the badge with a hair dryer. (did it before on other car)
  • on spacers I have no answer, but be carefull with the technical inspection when you need to go there in a few years.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi there, I can't answer all your questions, but I can tell you this:
  • for sure you will enjoy the power and torque!!! Who is going to do the remap? Just curious. I was at APEC Deinze.
  • be carefull with bigger wheels: something like a wheel angle limiter might be needed. Check with your Volvo dealer.
  • badges can be removed with dental floss after heating up the badge with a hair dryer. (did it before on other car)
  • on spacers I have no answer, but be carefull with the technical inspection when you need to go there in a few years.
Remap will get done by Apec @ Deinze, friend suggested this to me as safest & best tuning for my Volvo.
Thanks for the tip, I'll contact my Volvo dealer about this.
Hmmmm I'm too scared to do it myself even though I know it's a piece of cake. (The badge)

Really looking forward to do everything I have in mind.

·
Registered
290 Posts
You won't regret it. I think this guy at APEC knows what he's doing. On mine there were some strange behaviours with the geartronic and therefore he kept the torque a little bit lower. (220HP/374Nm). But on the manual you can get more. Let me know when it's done!
Where are you from? Maybe I can help with the dental floss. :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You won't regret it. I think this guy at APEC knows what he's doing. On mine there were some strange behaviours with the geartronic and therefore he kept the torque a little bit lower. (220HP/374Nm). But on the manual you can get more. Let me know when it's done!
Where are you from? Maybe I can help with the dental floss. :)
I live and work in Heist & Zeebrugge, family and girlfriend in Antwerp.
So I travel alot in between, how about you?

·
Registered
285 Posts
I'd say this again:

"be careful with bigger wheels: something like a wheel angle limiter might be needed. Check with your Volvo dealer."

There are other posts on the forum that mention this when going up wheel sizes

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have the 18inch Ixion II also on my V40 including 15mm spacers each wheel on the back. (the front look is ok)
No need to change anything (wheel limiter). As yauwera said, the badge removing is easy. I used fishing line ;)

·
Registered
285 Posts
I have the 18inch Ixion II also on my V40 including 15mm spacers each wheel on the back. (the front look is ok)
No need to change anything (wheel limiter).
But which wheels were fitted to your car at delivery?

If your car was delivered with the bigger wheel sizes the wheel turning limiter was installed at the factory. The only people who will know if the wheels fit would be Volvo,

Have you read this thread? Wheel Swap / Deflection Limiters

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'm running 18 inch wheels, came with 16 inch from factory. I have no limiters installed but also no rubbing issues. The only thing that you need to keep in mind is the deviation of your speed indicator. By default (don't know the exact numbers) with 16 inch, 120km/h indicated will be around 113/114 km/h gps speed, with 18 inch installed it will be about 118/119 km/h. At least, that's what I noticed when I switched to 18 inch.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Hi DGB64, I don't want to start any discussion on this. :)
I have the 17" Segomo wheels, and I thought I have read somewhere that even then limiters were needed. But these wheels were installed from factory, so I am not sure. Best to check with your Volvo dealer to be sure.

·
Registered
710 Posts
I have 17" wheels from factory too and was at one time vaguely thinking of changing them, though no longer.
I'm pretty sure research here led me to conclude that I already have the limiters fitted in the factory.

·
Registered
710 Posts
I'm pretty sure research here led me to conclude that I already have the limiters fitted in the factory.
And on digging back I found a post by Busby which explained that was on the Cross Country, due to other suspension changes.
So I think it's 18s normally and 17s on CC will already have factory-fitted limiters.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
No need to change anything (wheel limiter). As yauwera said, the badge removing is easy. I used fishing line ;)
Oh, and are those 8x18 ?
I just bought 8x18's yesterday and was wondering how many mm the spacers should be front and back.
It's really annoying once you realise the v40's wheels are pushed inside alot imo.
Thanks

1 - 20 of 20 Posts