Volvo V40 Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all

I have a 2013 T5 V40 XC with 71,000 kms.

In cold weather, generally under 10 degrees celsius, the brake system upon start up 'fails'.

My 'fails' I mean the pedal upon depressing for starting the engine, drops to the floor and then goes 'hard'.
If you proceed to drive off the master cylinder 'squeals' and the pedal is rigid, to the point of locking up if you apply normal braking pressure.

I receive a 'brake system service' warning notice on the dash. Of course Volvo can never replicate the issue nor find fault.
I have had brake system flushed, and new pads and rotors. This has not resolved the issue.

If you continue to drive (there is no power assist to the braking) or pull over with the engine running in the attempt to 'warm up' the system, generally the issue will go away after 5 minutes. But that is not acceptable by any means!

Now I ski, and I have had the unfortunate event of this happening trying to come back down the mountain. And in this case it took 30 minutes for the vehicle at idle to 'warm up' the system and for the fault to go away.

Very keen to hear if this has been experienced by any other owners.

K

·
Registered
4 Posts
Not the same, but had an issues with no power steering on startup with a warning appearing. I took the car to a local auto electrician (not Volvo) and after reading the warning history for that, and some other non related issues including drivers seat memory recall, he deleted ALL the warning history and reset. That appears to have cured all those problems, nothing seen for the past two weeks at least. May be worth a try?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts