Volvo V40 Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gooday! My wife and I have a v40T5 CC (the 5 pot turbo AWD one). It is absolutely awesome - the best Volvo I've driven in years. Previously I've had a 760 GLE (good for its time but a bucket of trouble), 2000 s40 1.8 (nice but underpowered), 2001 c70T5 (lovely and quite beautiful), 2004 s60R (all kinds of awesome, killed by a massive turning circle), 2004 s40T5 (excellent car), 2010 s40T5 R-design (again excellent).

Now as awesome as the v40T5 CC is (and it is plenty awesome, biggish turning circle aside), we've noticed from time to time it radiates a **** of a lot of heat from the centre tunnel, down near the calf of your left leg (driving a RHD, so if you were driving a LHD it would be hot around your left calf). When I say it gets hot, it is like the heater is on full blast, but it is essentially just the tunnel itself that is hot. I figured that it was because of the AWD diff but I mentioned it to our service guys and they hadn't heard of it before, not that they see many of these.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
175 Posts
I think you and I are the only people who bought a T5CC, I've never seen one on the road, which is a shame because I'm starting to think it's the perfect all weather car.

I've not noticed the hot tunnel issue..

Does it happen in yours only when you're driving particularly hard? Or when you're driving in snow? (So the centre diff is engaged). To be honest I'd have thought it's more likely to be the exhaust getting hot rather than the drivetrain.

Nice to see someone else appreciating the AWD V40, I really like mine. Have you tried it on the snow yet? It was surprisingly impressive. Might take it across to France for our annual skiing trip this year, rather than slumming it in our 15mpg Jeep.

How's your fuel economy?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Gooday. I'm from the Gold Coast Australia, so we don't see any snow. But there is an awesome video of the v40T5 in the snow
So we have the 5 pot turbo one. I think in some countries they sell the 4 pot turbo but it isn't AWD. I've seen a couple on the road - it looks great in white but we have it in silver like the car in the video.
You might be right about the exhaust. I notice it once it has been driven for a while, maybe at higher speeds rather than putting around town. it is my wife's car but it is that good that I'm happy to step out of mine (Jag XKR) and into it so we end up swapping cars sometimes a few times a week. There is just nothing not to like - 0 - 100kph in about 6 seconds, handles well, I thought it steers a bit better than the v40T5 under heavy acceleration (say giving it the boot around a roundabout), the interior is very nice, actually I think quality wise it is better than the evoque which I thought was disappointing, and it looks pretty hot.
for fuel economy we've racked up 7,000kms in about 8 months, high percentage around town so maybe 90% of that, including a lot of heavy traffic driving. At the moment we are getting just on 10l/100km which is just over 28mpg. we usually fill it with the higher octane fuel which might improve the figures a touch.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.