Volvo V40 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife decided she wants the variable boot floor. Price online : £105 fitted. Price at dealer £126, not fitted ....

Anyway I took it, as she wanted it now, and fitted it myself. Fitting is so simple, all the holes etc pre-drilled. Took me 5 minutes including finding out how to do it ...

Now it's in, she loves it, and I will admit I thought it was a waste of money, but it does keep the boot nice and tidy. We have attached some Velcro strips to the underside of the items we always have in the boot, so now they all have their place under the false floor !

·
Registered
945 Posts
Can you post some pictures of how you use it.

I got the silly folding false floor on my RD as I wanted a spare (£250 for both options is a stupid amount for a space saver I hopefully will never use but better safe than sorry etc) and I ave yet to work out how it could be useful, I have removed it and have it sotd int he garage at the moment as need the extra room in the boot.

Out of interest as you have fitted yours yourself, how do I remove the plastic supports to get a little bit more usable space in the boot?

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Can you post some pictures of how you use it.

I got the silly folding false floor on my RD as I wanted a spare (£250 for both options is a stupid amount for a space saver I hopefully will never use but better safe than sorry etc) and I ave yet to work out how it could be useful, I have removed it and have it sotd int he garage at the moment as need the extra room in the boot.

Out of interest as you have fitted yours yourself, how do I remove the plastic supports to get a little bit more usable space in the boot?
I'll respond in reverse :)
The fitting instructions are here : http://accessories.volvocars.com/Ac...wDocument/ShowIiDocument/VCC-452485-1/NOTHING
The side plastic supports just clip into the pre-drilled holes. I would guess inserting a screwdriver into each one and unclip it. It was really easy going in, not so sure how you will find it taking it out :).

For the usage, we have a fire extinguisher, first aid kit, spare blankets, and a few odds and ends that we always keep in our car. In the Skoda we hid most of it in the endless supply of hidden storage areas, but V40 does not have it. This collection of stuff takes up about half of the floorspace in the boot so having the other floor on top of it lets us reclaim the floorspace.

It's only two of us, so we have plenty of space even with the variable floor in place.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Thanks for the link I will have a play.

I can see the benefits of the false floor but have you tried the folding mechanism, that is what I can't fathom out, it is only any good if you normally have a completely empty boot and then go and get a take away (I can't think of anything else that would be light enough for the hangers and that should be kept upright)

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The bags don't generally hang on the hooks, they still sit on the floor but the hooks just hold them in place. The hooks can take 5kg on the side, and 3 kg on the centre one. When just holding it in place that is actually quite a lot.

I don't think we will use them a lot. We wanted it to hide the items more than anything ...

·
Registered
945 Posts
What I was impressed with was the quality/strength of the materials used it is about 0.5" thick mdf, usally they have a really thin bit of board that is only slightly stronger than cardboard that collapses as soon as you look at putting something heavy on it

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What I was impressed with was the quality/strength of the materials used it is about 0.5" thick mdf, usally they have a really thin bit of board that is only slightly stronger than cardboard that collapses as soon as you look at putting something heavy on it
Indeed the quality of the materials used by Volvo are definitely to a high standard. Much better than the Renault, Nissan or Skoda cars I have owned since moving to the UK in 2002.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Could you tell me if it is possible to hide spare wheel under standard boot floor, without ordering variable boot floor?

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have the standard floor, and yes, there is properly designed spare wheel area underneath. I haven't measured it, but feel sure it would the right size for just a space saver rather than a full wheel.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I asked this at a dealership on Saturday. Essentially, if you have a single exhaust model, the spare wheel fits under the standard boot floor, and the flexible floor is optional. If you have a double exhaust and opt for the spare wheel, the flexible load floor is a compulsory extra in order to give a flat surface in the boot.

I didn't need the floor, but decided to go for it anyway. £100 is nothing compared to the total cost of the car and I like the idea of having an out-of-the-way space to put all the junk needed for driving in Europe.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Please can someone let me know where I can get the flexible load floor online. My local dealer has quoted £135.

It's for a V40 T2 (2015).

Thanks

·
Registered
945 Posts
Don't bother would be my advice, I have taken mine out so I can now make use of the boot, with the false floor in it is very shallow

·
Registered
175 Posts
I like it. Can't stand having stuff rolling about in the boot, so put torches, first aid kit, tow rope etc (got to be prepared, live in the Yorkshire wilderness) under the false floor, leaving my boot completely empty. The little bag hooks have been useful a couple of times.

·
Registered
13 Posts
flexible floor and spare wheel

I am a bit confused. I have sourced the Volvo spare wheel from ebay but I now need the flexible floor because I have the T2 engine with twin exhaust. However, on the Volvo website, it says "Cannot be combined with spare wheel Tempaspare, except for engine variant D2." in a big yellow box.

http://accessories.volvocars.com/Ac.../2015/T2/Manual/R.H.D/ShowDocument/VCC-471809

Am I missing something? Thanks

·
Registered
945 Posts
Just go in to the dealer, look on the pictures to work out what you need.

Re things rolling about get a bag and Velcro or a cargo net

·
Registered
13 Posts
Went to the local dealer and none of them had a spare wheel/flexible floor :-(. The dealer said that they don't order cars with spare wheels anymore, unless it is a specific customer order. Does anyone have the spare wheel and flexible floor? If so, please can you let me know what the OEM part codes for the flexible floor and any extra bits.

Thanks

·
Registered
945 Posts
No go to the parts department, they will probably be no use either so look yourself on the diagrams they have (I have had to do this before for many marques not just Volvo)

·
Registered
132 Posts
mustardtree6, I too am confused by this whole issue. I was going to get a spare wheel for my d2 r design but am a tad baffled by the floor issue. If anybody has pics please can they post. Thanks

·
Registered
945 Posts
Might be sticking mine back in in a few days so will look to take some photos.

Nb where the boot meets the rear of the back seat there is a raised bit (some form or a brace under the carpet/covering) there are holes in the centre of the 'brace' a bit fits in to, not sure if that is different or there on all cars?

I am not sure if the bit in the middle is necessary, I think you nly use that when you fold the floor up vertically so you may decide not bother

·
Registered
13 Posts
The picture on the Volvo website is really confusing. What is that metal briefcase demonstrating? Is it sitting on some sort of plastic base with a dip in the middle? I note that the flexible floor is up.

I'm assuming that you can take out the plastic base and put the spare wheel underneath it and put the flexible floor on top of it.

http://accessories.volvocars.com/Ac.../2015/T2/Manual/R.H.D/ShowDocument/VCC-471809

and if you open the installation instructions http://accessories.volvocars.com/Ac...wDocument/ShowIiDocument/VCC-452485-1/NOTHING

It looks nothing like the photo. Where is the plastic base with dip? It looks like a flat base?

Any idea?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts