Volvo V40 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m very happy to report that I just had my lovely V40 (MY13) serviced. It has done approximately 35 tkm, so I was recommended to have the 40 tkm service done (don't know what's the difference between annual and 40 tkm service, never mind). In addition to "normal service" I had three extra tasks in addition to "normal" service: 1) the car needed wheel alignment or steering angles checked (not a native speaker, don’t know what you call it), after hitting few bad potholes earlier this summer. 2) the passenger side front door panel kept buzzing when driving on rough surfaces, which is quite common in Finland. 3) Steering wheel kept this strange noise when turned just after cold start, but the noise was gone after driving 10-15 seconds after start.

The service was excellent. Volvo now has this "personal mechanic" concept with the Volvo Service 2.0, as they call it. I think it's great! No more "middlemen" when for example booking the service or when going through the list of maintenance items. Actually you don't have to deal with the front desk at all. All communication is handled by the personal mechanic in the garage. I didn’t want to have wipers checked (I can do that myself), neither didn’t I have to be charged for the mechanic poring windshield washer fluid, which I’m capable of doing myself. After making sure we were both on the same page on what would be done to the car, he took good care of it. I was the first customer that morning and he started servicing my car first. After 5 hours I received message that the service had been completed.

When I picked my car up in the evening, it was all washed and looking good. The mechanic explained what they had done and asked if I had any questions. Service exceptionnel!

Couple of things I noticed after the service and the software update included: :)
- Cruise control now operates more smoothly. Same thing with the speed limiter, which I frequently use when driving in a city. I noticed earlier, when e.g. I set the limiter to 50 km/h and then increased the speed by 10 km/h while pressing my foot on the gas pedal, the acceleration was hard and violent, like it would had gone from 20 % 80 % power). Now with the update when changing the speed limiter setting from 50 to 60 km/h, it accelerates very gently and smoothly. I believe the latter is better for the engine, drivetrain etc.
- Secondly, I think the combined digital instrument (tft) software now operates more smoothly. Even the dials and other graphics are smoother, not that they had lagged or had any bugs earlier, but some minor improvements here and there.
- In terms of speed and power, I noticed the engine feels more responsive and powerful. I wouldn't call the D2 sporty but it certainly feels more spicier with the new update. Better throttle response and even minor improvement on fuel efficiency.

Now the superior V40 has gotten even better. And this was done with a simple software update.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Sounds like your service experience was very satisfactory.
I hope my dealer is handling this as professional as that

Any idea whether you can check the version of your v40's software ? And how you may check for available updates?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, indeed, I'm a very happy man now. Looking forward to many happy kilometers.

Very good question. Not sure, if it's possible to check the software version. At least I haven't found the software version mentioned anywhere, when browsing the menus and options in the car neither in the Volvo On Call app. It would be interesting to see the list of changes by different update versions. Quess they are so minor improvements, they aren't worth mentioning(?).

·
Registered
202 Posts
Just a quick question - Does anyone have any knowledge of how to get into the service/diagnostic menus? All the s/w versions should be available from there.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Good question, sorry I just noticed your message.

There was actually nothing wrong with the steering. The mechanic told me that the front springs can make some noises, when the wheels are turned as the vehicle remains stationary. Every morning I start driving from place on our yard, where i have to first turn the wheels fully to the right and then almost immediately to the left. This "shuffling", if you will, causes some noises coming from the springs. Mechanic said that it is possible to put some sort of insulation to the bottom plate where the spring rests in order to kill the noise. But as it doesn't affect driving in any way, I don't care about the noise. So it's completely normal. I hope this answered your question, GRM. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.