Volvo V40 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few months back I hit the mother of all potholes and it buckled my front left alloy. I got it "repaired" for £100. I was already unhappy about the repair as the heating process has 90% of the clear coat of the wheel which I wasn't warned about. Regardless I threw the wheel on and the car was much happier. However, recently I have begun to notice a strong vibration under braking and a light vibration while driving which gets stronger at higher speeds. The vibrations are both in the vehicle, on the brake pedal and in the steering.

The general consensus seems to be that vibration during driving is caused by an unbalanced/bent wheel, and vibration during braking is caused by a brake disc deformation. I was reasonably happy to accept that maybe the brakes were deformed although they haven't been changed in my ownership of the car so are anywhere from 22k to 38k miles old.

Not one to throw all my eggs in one basket I thought I would rotate the wheels front to back to see if the vibration in the steering went away. That's when I noticed one of the wheel nuts was not entirely on. It was not cross-threaded or loose but the hole in the alloy has almost caved in on itself. I have never seen anything like this. Is it an insert? a washer? damage front the pothole? I have no idea.

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle
Wheel Automotive tire Plant Wood Motor vehicle

Regardless I threw it onto the rear, checked the hub using a dial gauge for trueness which was all good. Went for a test drive and the vibrations are still present in braking and at high speed but are much much smaller, and there is no noticeable vibration in the steering. Which I am supposing suggests that the disks are warped and the wheel is not balanced. Regardless the damage to the bolt holes of the wheel means it's getting replaced. My pads have about 3mm left of them, so I am replacing those, and while I am at it I am going to replace the disks.

For anyone wondering the wheel is product number: 31454199 I can't find a single refurb or second hand one and they are £548.23 inc vat from Volvo.

Please weigh in on any of this, I am not a mechanic and this is my first time doing anything but servicing my car so any suggestions or encouragement that I am doing the right thing would be helpful,

·
Registered
386 Posts
Maybe the Csk hole was bodged up previously, and the pothole just made things a lot worse. Must be 40 years since i skimmed some alloy wheels up after kerbing, and was amazed how distorted the castings were. I have also seen the odd wheel for sale where 1 hole has been drilled out oversize. Was the repair done close to this hole. Looks like the Csk may need re cutting in the centre of the hole. You could also check the bore dia for fit on the hub. I would look for a complete second hand set - not from a breaker, which would probably have tyres on for the same price as you have been quoted.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Have a look on Fleabay - just spotted an ex display set with brand new tyres for £795

·
Registered
2017 R Design D2
434 Posts
those ex display items are very heavy poorly constructed copies from china, not worth 300 quid, with tyres!!
but, those Ixion iv's are like hens teeth... they do come up on the bay, some breakers dont list them, but will if you ask them. I asked about the glass from a pro model, still waiting... item number 333812575982

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Have a look on Fleabay - just spotted an ex display set with brand new tyres for £795
Those the C30 Ones? If they are I need 52.5 offset, but regardless I don't want the hassle of getting rid of the extra wheels and tyres. I have pretty new pilot sport 4 tyres on every corner so I would be keeping those. I am going to order the new one from Volvo the price sucks, but after wasting £100 on a repair that may have actually gone on to damage other driveline components I have no appetite for second-hand/used at the minute.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
those ex display items are very heavy poorly constructed copies from china, not worth 300 quid, with tyres!!
but, those Ixion iv's are like hens teeth... they do come up on the bay, some breakers dont list them, but will if you ask them. I asked about the glass from a pro model, still waiting... item number 333812575982
The worst thing is I have found a lot of similar ixion iv wheels but never with the correct hub spacing sigh. The car was originally a Volvo owned run-around and they seem to have specced it with every un-common option. I.e. 320mm brakes on a t2

·
Registered
2017 R Design D2
434 Posts
theres a set on Gumtree, 2 are bent, 2 are scuffed, liverpool way, could be worth a call to see if theyre et 52.5 ??

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
theres a set on Gumtree, 2 are bent, 2 are scuffed, liverpool way, could be worth a call to see if theyre et 52.5 ??
Just hit them up for more photos and they are 52.5, but while comparing their photos my photos I have come to realise part 31423873 and 31454199 are the same, and they are tons of 31423873 on the internet for sale. Found one for £100 with 12 months warranty so going to go for that. Thank you for finding that gumtree one for me you have saved me a bomb :).

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
As an update I have replaced all my brake rotors and disc today, took 6 hours, and the shuddering under braking has completely gone. I recon it was just uneven brake material on the rear rotors and not a warped disc or bent hub. Now just to replace the wheel and we should be Gucci gang.

·
Registered
2017 R Design D2
434 Posts
i can tell you being sat for weeks during 1st lockdown killed my discs... felt like the wheels were falling off when braking!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts