Volvo V40 Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well its offical volvo engineers come from another planet .

here is the reply from them about geartronic not changing into 6th

1 : The car must be driven above 140kph ( speed limit on highway here is 120 )
2 : There must be no more then 10% throttle used for it to select 6th

·
Premium Member
630 Posts
Where did you get this info + that is a bit stupid

I do almost just city driving, and my T3 is almost always between 1st and 4th gear, very seldom 5th and 6th, unless I drive on a sunday and there is no slow cars in front of me to get to 6th.

·
Premium Member
630 Posts
5th and 6th gear is almost a no-no in traffic, 5th maybe if the road is flat and long, 500m +

I am almost always up to 4th, as I always feel I want a bit more power in the car and not crawl along like miss daisy, that is probably why my trip computer shows average of 11 liters per 100km

·
Registered
96 Posts
Ok I may be missing something here, but my manual D2 is in 5th regularly at 30mph and in 6th at just over 40mph.
This brings the revs down to just over 1000rpm which, in the D2, it's more than happy to toddle along at, getting the mileage easily in the 80s mpg.
Obviously if you need to accelerate quickly to overtake you're provably going to want to shift down to 3rd l, but I don't see why they say the mph has to be so high to get into 5th.

·
Registered
382 Posts
This probably answers why some D2's are more economical than others. Mine kicks-up at being in 6th at less than 50. Car judders and labours.

It's not too bad in 5th but at 30mph then wanting to find quick acceleration, forget it! Foot hard down will get you nothing.

I know that there is a software issue that will be addressed at first service and I am hoping this has a beneficial effect on MPG but am not holding my breath.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Ima - I have had the latest software for the gear change (Powershift) and if anything the fuel consumption is worse. I am averaging 54mpg. However, the gears work fine and seem to change at the right times with little or no labouring. I think that is the price we will have to pay for having a 1600 diesel with auto....... I may consider looking at chipping the car at some stage - I have done this on other diesels in the past to very good effect.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Well my manual d4 would never be in anything over 4th (usually be in 3rd) at 30, whilst not the most fugal way to drive it put less stresses on the engine, give you more control and a lot more flexibility.

I will never get in to 6th unless on the motorway.

Running cars at lot revs will haunt you in a few years when carbon build up and excessive wear on bearings kill your engines

The turbos on the 1.6 diesel in the focus and Peugeot have been dying for a while now.

Give then some revs it will save you in the long run

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
petrol

And it's much more fun too!
Well i dont drive a diesel and at the moment get a average 13 lts/100km and im am sure with 187kw the car can use its 6th gear
Be glad you dont drive the new xc60 it has 8 speeds and dont use 6/7/8 what a waste

·
Premium Member
630 Posts
13l/100km, wow, that is what I thought it most likely would give if mine is already at 11. So much for the figures they give on the website, they should actually remove those figures

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
fuel

13l/100km, wow, that is what I thought it most likely would give if mine is already at 11. So much for the figures they give on the website, they should actually remove those figures
well on my third tank this tank it got worse 14.2 L/100 so i guess i will live with 13.5 ,just one more reason to decat and map

·
Premium Member
630 Posts
My brother's boss has the S60 T6 with Polestar, 16l/100km, and he foot is heavy :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.