Volvo V40 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So, I probably posted something similar last year but I think the difference in price warrants some opinions.

My insurance is due for renewal next month and I have been with Volvo car Insurance for the last 12 months and I paid about an extra £20 for the year to go with them over other insurers. The benefits being that they guarantee to only use genuine Volvo parts (which I gather from looking many UK insurers do not offer) and any repairs done by a Volvo approved body shop.

Now, this year my cheapest quote is £394 through admiral (through compare the market) and my renewal with Volvo is £525. After calling them, the lowest they will go is £510. They really are stubborn buggers on price and constantly refer to the fact that their repairs costs will be higher due to using Volvo parts and approved body shops. This is all well and good but is it worth an extra £116?

I like the idea of the guarantee that should anything happen it'll be done with genuine parts and properly (I'd hope) but not keen on the ridiculous premium over any other insurer. While I'm aware there has been a hike in insurance premiums again, I wasn't expecting to be paying almost £100 more than I paid last year!

Any opinions, or experiences from others would be welcome to help me decide.

Regards
Dave

·
Registered
619 Posts
Who is the actual insurer? I've just had a mailshot which offers discounts for various safety features, all of which I have.

Edit: Looks like some sort of broker, using Allianz policies.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I believe it's underwritten by Allianz according to the letter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
99 Posts
Don't bother, you can choose which bodyshop your car goes to for a repair its just some insurers are stubborn about it.

Id save the cash and if an accident happens then you just tell them its going to a Volvo bodyshop for repairs there isn't much they can do about it

·
Registered
613 Posts
They have to use Volvo parts, it is not as if a Focus door will fit is it?

Tesco on my D2 was £247 fully comp with NC protection.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's the fact that if you read lines in other insurance policies they read something along the lines of "we may decide to repair using recycled parts, or other parts that have not been made by the car's manufacturer but are of similar standard". It's the "recycled" parts that makes me think they'll just go to a scrapyard and rob something off another car.

I never used to be bothered really but then I never really considered things like this or paid attention in the policy if i'm honest.

I may just go with the cheapest and hope for the best. But as has been said above I suppose if you say to your insurer it's going to a Volvo approved workshop/repair centre can they really stop you seeing as, after all it is approved just not necessarily by the insurer.

·
Registered
314 Posts
With most insurance companies you have to use their approved bodyshop or get two quotes and they go with the cheapest of them I don't think you could pick a volvo bodyshop as I have never been able to pick where my car goes.

·
Registered
19 Posts
There are not normally any advantages in getting older/retiring, but I have noticed that car insurance premiums are far lower than when I was working.

For info... Direct Line, no voluntary excess, no breakdown, fully comp., £210!

·
Registered
23 Posts
So, I had an accident a few weeks back and the repair cost came to £5,000, I've inspected the replaced parts and can see that they've used brand new Volvo parts.

I am insured with Admiral.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So, I had an accident a few weeks back and the repair cost came to £5,000, I've inspected the replaced parts and can see that they've used brand new Volvo parts.

I am insured with Admiral.
That's good to know the only thing that concerns me is that once the car is three years old it seems they are less likely to use genuine parts due to keeping the repair costs economical against the market value. It seems most people on here don't insure with Volvo for various reasons but I don't know how many have had to rely upon insurers for repairs so good to hear from someone who has.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So after much thought and weighing up the comments that have been made, I have decided not to renew with Volvo Car Insurance. They refused to offer any more discount(was given 3%) on their price stating that they always provide their best price which is not true at all as I got 10% discount last year to join them as a new customer. Then suddenly now I'm already a customer I get bugger all.

While I can see the appeal of their policy, their attitude to keeping customers on let me down as their was clearly no commitment. Went straight back to Aviva (who I used to be inserted with) and got a final quote of £355. Much more to my liking.

So thanks for all the comments, it's helped me out a lot. I'll still give Volvo insurance a try when it comes to insurance renewals but they'll have to do better next time.

·
Registered
171 Posts
So after much thought and weighing up the comments that have been made, I have decided not to renew with Volvo Car Insurance. They refused to offer any more discount(was given 3%) on their price stating that they always provide their best price which is not true at all as I got 10% discount last year to join them as a new customer. Then suddenly now I'm already a customer I get bugger all.

While I can see the appeal of their policy, their attitude to keeping customers on let me down as their was clearly no commitment. Went straight back to Aviva (who I used to be inserted with) and got a final quote of £355. Much more to my liking.

So thanks for all the comments, it's helped me out a lot. I'll still give Volvo insurance a try when it comes to insurance renewals but they'll have to do better next time.
Good decision I think Dave and a good price.
I've had multi car cover for the last couple of years with Aviva and they have been great. (Can't comment on claims though as fortunately not needed to)

·
Registered
122 Posts
I will be facing a renewal in March which will include moving up to a D3 from a D2 so it will be interesting to see what the increase is. The reason I went to Volvo was that my mate had an accident in his wife's company D4 V40 R Design which involved a creased rear nearside wheel arch and a popped curtain air bag. The lease company sent it to a none Volvo repairer who took nearly 3 months to repair it and didn't make a very good job of it.

·
Registered
326 Posts

Wouldn't be surprised if Volvo send you a quote in a years time, at the same price from 2 years ago.
Seems everyone has renewal algorithms to sting "loyal" customers.
Had similar problems with AA insurance, but they were quite sympathetic on the phone, and offered the same price as the year before,
although they had to ring me back a few times to keep me with them.
If their annual increase would have been £20, i would have automatically renewed !
So they lost out on any annual increase.

·
Registered
122 Posts
It seems to be the way with all insurance. They then have the brass to ring you and ask why you didn't renew with them. I tell that loyalty is a two way thing and that whilst they continue to offer cheap rates for new customers, I will continue to hop about and be a new customer.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Why your insurance is so expensive? Are you not from the US? I heard, that international students pay a lot for insurance, of course if they don't search for information correctly. My cousin is from Germany, she tried to buy insurance, but the price was enormous. Then we've found useful information from this site https://www.cheapautoinsurance.com/article/auto-insurance-international-students and all set clear. If i got it right, you just need to read it. If not - well, I dunno. Maybe, it was just bad luck in your case?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts