Volvo V40 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to all,
yesterday while reversing I hit the rear wall in my garage (Yes yes I have parking sensors, but my ego was louder than their sound).

Anyhow, the rear left light must be replaced. The new one in Volvo Greece costs around 240 euros (which are a lot). Do you happen to know any e-stores selling genuine volvo parts where I could purchase this item? I will install it by myself, it's a straight fix..
Thanks. :|

·
Registered
719 Posts
Best of luck fitting it yourself. I was told the whole back bumper has to come off to get to the fixings. Buzby will know for certain.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Further to what Wizzy said, it's actually the back bumper and all the cargo area trim that has to come out. There are 2 bolts at the bottom of the light unit behind the bumper, and 2 bolts on the inside (and the wiring connector) holding the rear light units in. The instructions for fitting the Rear Park Assist kit shows all the disassembly you will need to do:
http://accessories.volvocars.com/en-gb/V40(13-)/InstallationInstruction/Document/VCC-431414-2/2013/D2/Manual/default/V40 (13-) 2013
Steps 17-24 cover removal of the bumper, and steps 55-70 cover removal of the cargo area trim.

The lamp units have a sealing ring that is sandwiched between them and the aperture in the body to stop water leaking in, and gaskets on the mounting bolts. It's recommended that when refitting a lamp unit a new seal and gaskets are used.

The part numbers of the lamp units are:
Left lamp unit - 31283339, superceded by 31395844
Righr lamp unit - 31283340, superceded by 31395845
The price for a new part from a dealer is going to be somewhere around €240 each (the UK list price is £178, though there is one dealer in the UK listing them on ebay for £125). A used part from a breaker in the UK is usually about 50% of a new one (about £85 -£90)
The part numbers for the sealing rings are:
Left - 31395846
Right - 31395847
The bolt gasket kit is part number 31395848

As for suppliers, anixie has posted a link to loc8apart, which is a UK website tat aggregates listings from breakers and ebay listings. There is also Bildelsbasen, which is a website the Swedish breakers list their stock on. Prices are pretty similar or slightly cheaper than the UK.
https://www.bildelsbasen.se/se-sv/OEM/31395845/
(always try to search on the Swedish version of the site, as the English version doesn't have half the stock listed on it)

If there is no equivalent sire for Greece, and you have no breakers with V40 parts, then the delivery is probably going to be a killer. On the ebay UK listings there are a couple of Polish and Czech breakers who list their stock (they buy RHD writeoffs from the UK and ship them back home to dismantle), so the shipping to Greece might not be as bad from there.

·
Registered
729 Posts
That is a crazy lengthy job me thinks.....
Replacing fronts shouldn't take more than a couple of minutes, but those rears.... blimey.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
That is a crazy lengthy job me thinks.....
Replacing fronts shouldn't take more than a couple of minutes, but those rears.... blimey.
Remember that the bulbs can be removed or changed easily from behind via the access panel in the boot side trim, whereas the headlamp needs to be removed to replace the bulbs. In normal circumstances the rear lights never need to be removed.

·
Registered
729 Posts
true...

Strill reminds me of a car show episode where changing a bulb on a clio took almost an hour, since the front wheel and inner arch had to be removed first before the bulb could be reached

Update, it was a Megane, Clio Mk3 is even worse....

http://www.meganeownersclub.co.uk/changingmeganebulb.php

·
Registered
540 Posts
Shipping might only be 30 euro's or so. Most of the main international shippers have a flat Europe rate.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi All,

Sorry to update an old thread but only had the car 3 months, are these correct part number for all V40s? Are they correct for a 2015 V40 D2 R-design?

The part numbers of the lamp units are:
Left lamp unit - 31283339, superceded by 31395844
Righr lamp unit - 31283340, superceded by 31395845

Regards

·
Registered
2 Posts
Bouncing an old thread as I cant find anything on www...

V40 NSR light cluster. The, what I presume is LED, wavy strip that runs up the length of the light has stopped working. Is this a new light cluster or is there a simple fix? The main three bulbs work fine.

Thanks, Daren

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Bouncing an old thread as I cant find anything on www...

V40 NSR light cluster. The, what I presume is LED, wavy strip that runs up the length of the light has stopped working. Is this a new light cluster or is there a simple fix? The main three bulbs work fine.
New light cluster i'm afraid. The LED or driver will have failed, and they are sealed inside the cluster when it's manufactured (the polycarbonate lens is welded onto the housing once everything has been inserted inside)

·
Registered
2 Posts
New light cluster i'm afraid. The LED or driver will have failed, and they are sealed inside the cluster when it's manufactured (the polycarbonate lens is welded onto the housing once everything has been inserted inside)
Thanks buzby, a little annoying when this is the side/position light therefore a legal requirement at night. Price to pay for pretty lights eh. I did remove my bumper today to have a play, think the board has gone mad as it was intermittently working but stopped, there was some water inside as the lens has been slightly cracked for some time. Just ordered a replacement cluster so get to take it aprt again!!

Thank you.

·
Registered
5 Posts
A similar problem I have, a month ago an error appeared on the board, the light bulb burned. . .the led lamp in the lamp behind the driver did not light up anymore! I stopped the car and started again and noticed that the lamp is working !! I have encountered this problem a few times, but for a few days those lights do not light up! Do I have to change the whole lamp, or could I replace those led bulbs with a 12v led strip?

·
Registered
9 Posts
The brake light that is located in the spoiler failed on mine last week. It has still blinked for a couple of times this week, so it looks like some kind of contact failure, but probably things are far more complicated and I prepare myself for long hours of waiting in the workshop followed by a jumbo bill : ) There have been no error messages on the dashboard though. Do older models (mine is 2013) lack lamp error messages? For the brake light this would be pretty odd.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts