Volvo V40 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning from Greece,
Im a happy owner of a volvo v40 d2 1.6 MY14 remaped from 115 to 145 hp!

I'm curious if somenone have the same issue with me.My car the last 2 weeks, if the ambient temperature is between 9 - 13 Celcious on startup gives a puff of white smoke for about 5-10secs.
My first thought was that this could be exhaust vaporization or moisture or something like that but when i smell it seems to have diesel smell...
If the car is warmed up i have never seen the white smoke again.
I have a paid app (dashcommand) which cannot detect any kind of warnings or permantly errors.....
The diesel fuels in Greece are a piece of shits and i dont know if this can be the problem!My last refill was before 5days and the fuel tank is in the middle...
Have i to wait until my next refill????

My car has the dpf and the egr valve non deleted....

P.S:Sorry for my english :)

Hope someone to help or provide me a sollution....

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The remap took place in local greek tuning company!
I havent any problem like this before and the car is remmaped about 6 months with no issues!
Its a pouf of white smoke no black...

·
Registered
728 Posts
Same issue here myself and had for years. Always when ambient temp is around 8-12 c

It's diesel on startup for about 10 seconds.

I find it is much better if you turn the ignition on for about 10 to 15 seconds before starting the engine.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey i am looking for same answer white smoke on cold start, so what i ve notice the temperature make difference. in cold weather no smoke whatsoever, only if the glow plugs are not heating and i am starting the car straight with no delay the smoke come in out for 5 sec and strong smell. Engine is chugging a bit as well. First i though there's to much oil but the level is fine, no oil consumption to second i found post there maybe leak in injection and the whit smoke is the effect of droping diesel. 3rd it may be the problem with d2 engines kind of issue which volvo cant sort it some one post it that one as well. So no proper explanation. I never went for diagnosis just googled. Let me know if u sort it yours thx adam

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had ford be4 volvo and never noticed any smoke from ford even tho looks like they have the same engine so maybe the volvo did something i dont know. And also i ve got some injector cleaner the other day got the car for a little ride to try if that will work, it looked like the smoke stoped the car is responding better but aftwr 5 day's i start this morning and unfortunately the smoke come back but also the weather has changed so i just wonder there may be something with temperature, some how the car is acting differently on any different temperature, but also i find it recall for volvo models in 2016 year of possible coolant leaking which could cause smoke so anybody was aware of that issue

·
Registered
728 Posts
Very common for this engine.
Potentially a leaky injector when the engine is turned off excess gets in the chamber for the next start.

Very common on the 1.6 D2 PSA engine, and nothing to worry about.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm not that sure, if it was a leaky injector it happens alltime, not only depending on the wheather. My v40 in the winter work fine, and I'm from portugal, the winter here have temperatures between 2 and 12 celcius. My symptons only appear on temperatures between 15 and 21, colder is fine, hotter is fine! Very strange, need to be something about the ECU map, because the same engine in Citroen and Peugeot don't have this problems... it's only on Volvo and Ford!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I hope you guys dond bother anymore. I have the same engine in my xsara picasso. Same problem. Had changed or checked everithing. I spent 1500 eur on rebuilt of perfecttly ok engine. Now I have new head, piston rings, injectors, all the bearings.... no difference. Vors smoke is from 10-17c. All the “i am shure this is it” are no use. I searched all the forums in various languages, NOONE found the solution. I hate, when someone says it is a injector leak, oil, or head gasket leak... we are waay beyond this simple basic things. Now i just drive and dont bother. Its not worth of your nerves...
best regards
Tadej

·
Registered
205 Posts
Just some fuel left over in a cylinder, and on the cold start, it burns away, as the cylinder is not at operating temp, so you will see the smoke. Nothing to worry about...… If it was a petrol engine, I would have been more concerned.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Just some fuel left over in a cylinder, and on the cold start, it burns away, as the cylinder is not at operating temp, so you will see the smoke. Nothing to worry about...… If it was a petrol engine, I would have been more concerned.
As stated before, fuel isn't just left in a cylinder under certain temperatures. But matter of fact is that these engines get high mileage with this issue, so it's not much of a concern.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Why not? I have seen it happen many times......it takes a little bit to show up as white smoke on start up.
Because it doesn't make any sense fuel would only remain in the cylinder if the temperature is between 9 and 13 degrees outside. It would make sense if it happens under any temperature / circumstance but that is not the case.

Honestly this sounds like a software issue, more so because the Ford / Citroen cars don't seem to have this issue but use the exact same engine. There is a software update available at the dealer I didn't get because it reduces power in first and second gear, but that might very well fix it.

·
Registered
205 Posts
There is no way that software causes the white smoke on startup. White smoke usually occurs when there is not enough heat to burn the fuel. (have it be, fuel that was unburned, or that was just injected) ... It's not unusual to see white smoke in the exhaust during cold weather until the engine warms up.

Bad glow plugs or a faulty glow plug control module can cause white smoke on engine start up. So unless they know there is a problem with the glow plug module, and there is new software for that......

·
Registered
68 Posts
There is no way that software causes the white smoke on startup. White smoke usually occurs when there is not enough heat to burn the fuel. (have it be, fuel that was unburned, or that was just injected) ...
Air compression in modern diesels is all regulated by software.

It's not unusual to see white smoke in the exhaust during cold weather until the engine warms up.
That'd be moisture that evaporates when the exhaust gets warm enough.

Bad glow plugs or a faulty glow plug control module can cause white smoke on engine start up. So unless they know there is a problem with the glow plug module, and there is new software for that......
It's been reported before that if you put the car in ignition mode II before starting it, the issue is much less visible. So yes, glow plug software might be (part of) the issue.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts