Volvo V40 Forums banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
We are talking about startup here, not driving, just a small puff of white smoke....nothing to do with the air compression or moisture!! And moisture does not look like white smoke, there is a very big difference.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Because it doesn't make any sense fuel would only remain in the cylinder if the temperature is between 9 and 13 degrees outside. It would make sense if it happens under any temperature / circumstance but that is not the case.

Honestly this sounds like a software issue, more so because the Ford / Citroen cars don't seem to have this issue but use the exact same engine. There is a software update available at the dealer I didn't get because it reduces power in first and second gear, but that might very well fix it.
I have citroen... same issue. software checked

·
Registered
3 Posts
I woul say it is more too much diesel injected on startup at surtain temperature range. In my case, after first startup, if i shut down engine and start again in just one minute- same smoke again. So that is why i think it is not fuel left in cylinder, but duel injecting in that moment

·
Registered
16 Posts
Good morning from Greece,
Im a happy owner of a volvo v40 d2 1.6 MY14 remaped from 115 to 145 hp!

I'm curious if somenone have the same issue with me.My car the last 2 weeks, if the ambient temperature is between 9 - 13 Celcious on startup gives a puff of white smoke for about 5-10secs.
My first thought was that this could be exhaust vaporization or moisture or something like that but when i smell it seems to have diesel smell...
If the car is warmed up i have never seen the white smoke again.
I have a paid app (dashcommand) which cannot detect any kind of warnings or permantly errors.....
The diesel fuels in Greece are a piece of shits and i dont know if this can be the problem!My last refill was before 5days and the fuel tank is in the middle...
Have i to wait until my next refill????

My car has the dpf and the egr valve non deleted....

P.S:Sorry for my english :)

Hope someone to help or provide me a sollution....
Hi that has nothing to do with remap this is a common problem with d2 1.6 motor .I don't know the exact reason ,in my car when it appears i use a cleaning additives to full tank for 2 tanks and the problem disappeared for some months ,and after comes again .
I have drive with this issue from 30000 km til now which the car has 111000.
I hope it helps ..

·
Registered
728 Posts
Hi that has nothing to do with remap this is a common problem with d2 1.6 motor .I don't know the exact reason ,in my car when it appears i use a cleaning additives to full tank for 2 tanks and the problem disappeared for some months ,and after comes again .
I have drive with this issue from 30000 km til now which the car has 111000.
I hope it helps ..
Agree with this.

Mine been doing this for the last 30k, It' fine. Stops after about 12 seconds, possibly the preheater in the Fuel Filter gone from what I've read.

Also, possibly a leaking injector that dumps a little fuel in the cylinder when the engine is off, so very lean for the first few strokes.

Doesn't appear to do any damage.

I'll try a tank of decent stuff next time and see if it improves.

Always worse in Spring/Autumn damp times.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Agree with this.

Mine been doing this for the last 30k, It' fine. Stops after about 12 seconds, possibly the preheater in the Fuel Filter gone from what I've read.

Also, possibly a leaking injector that dumps a little fuel in the cylinder when the engine is off, so very lean for the first few strokes.

Doesn't appear to do any damage.

I'll try a tank of decent stuff next time and see if it improves.

Always worse in Spring/Autumn damp times.
Same thing, 9/10 its shaky and puffs white smoke when I start it in the morning and it goes away after 10ish seconds.
In winter it doesn't seem to have this problem, I've been told that it has something to do with the glow plugs and that the car doesn't use them when outside temperature is above 15c or something like that.
There is a software update for this problem but as far as I've read the problem reappears after some time, and frankly I don't have the time to take it to the dealer since they've told me it has to be there for the whole day and I don't have a second car.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Did OP ever get to the notion of this issue. My 13 plate D2 does it (I’ve only owned for about 6 weeks). This morning it was like a James Bond smoke cloud out of the back for about 10 seconds. Only does it maybe 2 cold starts a week. It’s going back to the dealer on Friday for them to check out whilst still under warranty.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had the same issue when I took the car to Germany, Mine also did run somewhat rough when started cold but when I let the ignition to be on for a few seconds it did start alot better. So I replaced the glow plugs with 4 new ones and that made the white smoke and smell of fuel go away.

So recommendation is to start with that, you can also check them quite easy if you have a multimeter.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts