Volvo V40 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Annual service is coming up and my mechanic told me that I should use 5W30 oil because there is no need for 0W20 (car is at 215k kilometres). I just want to know if any of you guys is using some other oil than 0W20. Thank you 馃檪

Registered
Mine has similar mileage. Never got anything else but the recommended oil. I see no point to deviate from that. What is your mechanics reasoning doing so?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mine has similar mileage. Never got anything else but the recommended oil. I see no point to deviate from that. What is your mechanics reasoning doing so?
I don't now the exact reason(I think it has to do something with winters not too cold in my country), but he told me that after 100k kilometres there is no reason for 0W20 and that 5W30 is great oil for all modern diesels, also cheaper and much easier to find. Still, I think I'm going to insist on 0W20. There is a reason why Volvo recommends it.

Registered
Your mechanic is right. VOLVO recommends 0W20 just for environmental reasons in Europe. In USA the same engines (and even the more powerful) the standard is 5w30 and only in extreme driving conditions (high speed, towing a caravan, too low temp climate) was recommended 0W20 .... I am using 5W30 for 2 years now, the engine works quiter and also here in Greece i think is more suitable.

Registered
Hi Haralabosg,
Interesting thought you brought up that now OW30 your engine is quieter and it is more suited for Greece. Does the summer heat in Greece not qualify as extreme condition? Would this also be true for VEA Diesel engine or only petrol?

Looking forward to hear your advice

Registered
Your mechanic is right. VOLVO recommends 0W20 just for environmental reasons in Europe. In USA the same engines (and even the more powerful) the standard is 5w30 and only in extreme driving conditions (high speed, towing a caravan, too low temp climate) was recommended 0W20 .... I am using 5W30 for 2 years now, the engine works quiter and also here in Greece i think is more suitable.

View attachment 17523
I didn't think Volvo (or Ford) sold diesel powered cars in the US?

Registered
My volo dealer in the Netherlands advises 5w30 from 160000km upwards I have this oil in my 2014 VEA D4 and 200000km now and no oil related issues. Engine has not needed any top ups between services fuel consumption is more or less the same as before.

Registered
The
I didn't think Volvo (or Ford) sold diesel powered cars in the US?
Until 2015 VOLVO used both FORD/PSA & VEA engines. From 2015 only VEA engine. You can visit VOLVO USA website and search for manuals. Except VOLVO Recharge which VOLVO specified only 0W20 oil , in all other engines VOLVO specified 5W30 & 0W30 and 0W20 for extreme driving conditions.

Registered
My D4 needs some top ups, about 0.5l in every 5000kms or so. I discussed this with my local dealer who told it's perfectly within the specs. No one before recommended to deviate from the original volvo recommendation and to be honest I'm still hesitating to do so. Probably I just like to spend my money on overpriced non necessary oil.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
200k+ i'd be using 5/30. 0/20will drain itself :ROFLMAO:
I agree, for 12k kilometres i added about 750ml of oil. It's perfectly normal, but I guess that if the car had 5W30 and not 0W20 it would be less. And interesting thing is that I couldn't find 0W20 for refilling so I used 5W30. Every shop that I entered and asked for 0W20 they looked at me as I'm crazy (probably has something to do with Volvo not that popular in my country).

Registered
As for extreme conditions, I doubt Greece in summer would count, thought it might, check with a dealer.
I think extreme conditions for oil usually means continuous high-speed or heavy load driving rather than external temperature. After all the engine in any climate is running at temperatures of 100c or more, much higher than the 30c-40c you might see.
The highest I've ever seen in Greece was approaching 45c in the Peloponnese and that wasn't pleasant, not to mention everything was on fire and the air was full of yellow smoke, but the cars all still ran fine.
Even the higher temperatures you might see in the Middle East around 50c are nothing to an internal combustion engine.

Reactions: remy
1 - 12 of 12 Posts