Volvo V40 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I have a volvo v40 D2 - 2015 model R Design. Only bought it back in March, on the way home from the garage the engine management light came on. Took it to a local dealership where they informed me it was the EGR valve which came under a recall. Since this, my car has been using 0.5L of oil at around 1000 miles. Took my car for a oil consumption test, now at 460 miles my dash states it needs another 0.5L of oil. Obviously I will need to ring the volvo dealership as it has already failed the oil consumption test, im wondering if anyone else has had similar problems and what was the diagnosis? Im concerned it is piston rings, however car isnt driving any differently or producing smoke. If I am looking at piston rings what is the cost likely to be? TIA

·
Registered
1 Posts
Same problem around, fresh service 5l went in 1l of oil is missing for 4000 km, just asks refill o.5 i dranied the oil.... Car drives perfectly no leaks.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hello, I have a volvo v40 D2 - 2015 model R Design. Only bought it back in March, on the way home from the garage the engine management light came on. Took it to a local dealership where they informed me it was the EGR valve which came under a recall. Since this, my car has been using 0.5L of oil at around 1000 miles. Took my car for a oil consumption test, now at 460 miles my dash states it needs another 0.5L of oil. Obviously I will need to ring the volvo dealership as it has already failed the oil consumption test, im wondering if anyone else has had similar problems and what was the diagnosis? Im concerned it is piston rings, however car isnt driving any differently or producing smoke. If I am looking at piston rings what is the cost likely to be? TIA
I have exactly the same problem. 1ltr every 1000miles.. the volvo dealer claims it ok. I’m not convinced. I’ve never in the past needed to add more that 1ltr to any other car between services.
Re the oil consumption test, what is the qty that is deemed to be excessive?

I have asked volvo customer relations this question (what is considered to be a maximum acceptable consumption) they say that there’s nothing published ( clearly garbage) though the hand book says to “check “ the level every 2,500km. This car doesn’t get to that distance before asking for 0.5ltrs
I would be interested to understand how your case is progressing.

·
Registered
Volvo V40 Momentum R-Design D2, 2017
56 Posts
That oil consumption is just not normal at all.
In the drivers manual it says that would be probable to have some consumption, like 0,5 ltr between regular maintenances, if i'm correct.
In my case, the level stays the same above 3/4 of the maximum volume and change it every year in maintenance.

Before further diagnoses and possible extreme causes for it, i have a suggestion:
Check the PCV system. it's a cronical issue in Volvo engines. Google it and you will find videos and explanation of it

1 - 4 of 4 Posts