Volvo V40 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

I'm seriously considering purchasing and V40 T5 R-design. The other car I'm looking at in the Golf GTI or Possibly a near new Golf R.

Anyway... about 6 months ago I went to a dealer and was quoted $55k for the V40 R-design with 3 year free servicing and road side assistance. This was without any haggling or corporate discounts.

However looking online, the seem to be asking for ~59 - 60k for some with up to 3000km's on them.

Anyway I was wondering if any of the Australian members purchased the v40 r-design recently and if they would mind sharing how much they paid?

Or if anyone has any idea why the price seems to have gone up so much?

Many thanks!

·
Registered
225 Posts
Don't have any recent first-hand pricing, but with the various deals going around at the moment $55k OTR seems about right for a base T5 R-design without any options. I suspect the $60k you are seeing is fairly well loaded up with options. There should be only minor increases in prices for the MY15 models for those models with the new D4 and T5 engines and new transmission. For the 60-series Volvos when the new engines were introduced a couple of months ago, they only had a $900 increase in price.

Tony

·
Registered
225 Posts
The first "used" demo car is fairly well loaded up. It has the $5,000 Driver Support Package (which becomes $3,760 after LCT removal) and heated front seats (~$280). Being a demo you really should be able to drive down this $59k price by 10% or more.

The second car is a new car with the effectively the list price of a V40 T5 R-Design with metallic paint (an ~$1,300 option). Overpriced and you should be able to drive this price down as well. If its a stock vehicle, again you should be able to get at least 10% of this list price.

As a rule, all cars listed on websites such as Carsales by dealers (as opposed to a private listing) are usually subject to a bit of bargaining. The dealer simply wants to offload such listed vehicles which is costing them money to keep. However be aware that if the car has been previously registered, its 3-year warranty period starts from the date it was first registered, not when you take possession of it. This can be used as an argument to further negotiate the price down.

Keep in mind there is currently a runout on MY14 V40 models so you should be able to get reasonable bargains on in-stock/showroom cars.

Tony

·
Registered
61 Posts
My V40 T5 R Design was a factory order 2014 build.
It has glass roof, drivers support pack, tinted windows, keyless drive, heated front seats and full leather seats which were $500 extra on MY14 specs.
Paid 55k drive away from Altitude in Brighton Melb.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My V40 T5 R design was $51,500 new and came with
Front parking assist (includes Park Assist Pilot)
Glass roof
Heated front seats
Tinted windows
Sunglass holder (not yet fitted)
And a corporate bargain of 5 years free servicing also from Altitude in Brighton

No way I could have got the new Golf R for anywhere near that price hence why I jumped at this.

Checking out the polestar exhaust this weekend they have for the V40 up at Altitude, could be tempted!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys, I appreciate the feedback!

I'm not sure if the dealers in Sydney are tougher to deal with or if I'm just crap at negotiating but I never got close to those prices....

Thanks again!

·
Registered
225 Posts
Bob, the most important thing when "negotiating" a price is for yourself to be serious about the purchase of the car. If you're just in there "to get a price" they will not take you seriously and will just give you the RRP. You go in there with serious intent and they will take you seriously. Read up all you can about the car and be in a position where you know more about the car then the salesperson does. Order and/or download an e-brochure from the Volvo website and make sure you provide contact details. Make an appointment for a test drive and talk with a salesperson - just don't turn up the dealership. Know what you want regarding engine and options. If you are just there on a fishing expedition you'll be treated accordingly. Ask for an extended test drive (some Volvo dealerships will allow extended un-accompanied test drives usually from Saturday afternoon to Monday morning).

And finally - even after spending an hour or two in test drives and talks with a salesperson, be prepared to walk away. I will almost guarantee they will follow up within a day or two. And don't rule out talking to and even buying the car from an out-of-town dealer. You can still have the car serviced at your local Volvo dealer even if you haven't bought the car from them. Don't feel any loyalty to the dealer you spent all your time with test drives etc.

Tony

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi Tony, yes that is great advice....

very much appreciated. I'll let you all know what I decide, however after giving it some more through I'm kind of considering waiting for the 2015 model with the improved gearbox and new engines...

·
Registered
225 Posts
I'll let you all know what I decide, however after giving it some more through I'm kind of considering waiting for the 2015 model with the improved gearbox and new engines...
That's what I'm doing as well - waiting for the MY15 models. However keep in mind the new engines and gearbox will be only available across a limited number of V40 variants - ie the V40 D4 and T5, and the V40 CC D4 only. All other variants remain unchanged (at this stage) including the V40 CC T5 AWD which will remain powered by the old 2.5l 5 cylinder engine.

Tony

·
Registered
225 Posts
Bob, I haven't talked with a salesperson for a month or two now when the official line was that it was too early to talk about the MY15 V40. While there's been no official confirmation from Volvo Australia that we are getting the new engines for the V40, given that we generally follow what the UK market gets (which has the new D4 and T5 engines) I'm sure they are coming. In the UK, the Drive-E T5 is standard with the R-Design spec. This news item from last week would seem to confirm this (the second last paragraph) :-

http://www.carpoint.com.au/news/volvo/v40/volvo-choosing-between-polestar-v40-and-xc60-45258?

We'll probably be waiting until at least October before placing an order - haven been burnt before with model year spec changes I'm waiting until something is in writing with either a brochure or the Volvo website.

Tony

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
ok cool thanks for the article as well. Have the v40 T5 R-Design 0-100 times been released yet? I thought I read somewhere that it was slower... but then I've read the s60 is faster with this new engine. I'm tossing up between this and the Golf GTI.. but I prefer the styling and interior on the v40.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Thanks. Are you saying the v40 r-design has the s60 motor?
Because I was talking about the v40 and golf R.
Yes and no. The new Drive-E T5 coming to the V40 later this year is already available in the S60 (and V60 & XC60) in the Australian market. The engine Toolmantim is referring to is the new Drive-E T6 engine which is currently not available in any Volvo model in the Australian market and is only available in a limited number of other markets (such as the US market) in the 60 series Volvos. This T6 engine is not currently available in the V40 in any market - but it has been suggested that it could be used in a possible Polestar version of the V40 further down the track.

Tony

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.