Volvo V40 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good evening all. I have just got my Volvo V40 T2 Momemtum remapped (it’s the 2016 2 litre engine). I was quoted a 190bhp increase. They did a rolling road (Dyno) before and after and they were kind of giddy when they took me out on the test drive. Turns out it made 230bhp on the rolling road, I was surprised and impressed but concerned about how the car will react to such an increase in the long run. Has anyone had their T2 remapped? Also, are there any mechanical differences between the petrol engines other than tuning? The garage I used is highly respected with regards to performance remapping/tuning.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Wow. A 90% increase in horse power. That is amazing. With regards to excessive wear it all depends on your driving style.

·
Registered
286 Posts
So you went from 122bhp to a quoted 190bhp, but the engine on the dyno output 230bhp?

I mean it's not beyond imagination...all manual petrol engines are 2.0. the power ranges are 122, 152, 190, 245, and 302. What I do not know (but somebody here might) is whether the gearbox/clutch/turbo etc...are the same, I doubt it....would your 205 profile tyres (assuming u have these) can even handle the power? Did they give your the new torque figures? I think stock T2 has 220nm. I mean some VAG 2.0 engines can remap to almost 400PS, so 230PS for a modern 2.0 isn't astronomical...although a VEA 2.0 turbo outputting 122PS is puny comparatively.

I guess if you only infrequently put foot to the floor, it should not be a problem...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If anything it’s made me revise my driving style and gear changes - my last two cars have been autos so not had to consider changing gears manually for a few years. I’m not a boy racer and don’t drive hard, although it’s nice to know the power is there if needed. Torque figure is 283lb which I believe is within the gearbox tolerances. I’ll have to give it a few weeks to determine if there is anything negative happening.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I would have a read of the another Thread today - D2 Clutch & flywheel !! I know its a diesel but ??

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the link to the D2. Been for a little drive, seems the torque has moved up the Rev range a little so no massive pull from normal driving only if you put more revs down if you stay in gear longer.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hi the turbo must be working way way over spec or the Rolling road is off was it a custom nap or off the shelf that number doesn't sound correct

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It was a custom remap. Looking at heico, rica and bsr websites they quote similar figures. Maybe the rolling road is off but the before figures match the standard spec. I’ll just have to monitor my driving and see how the car responds. Does anyone know the differences between the petrol turbos (T2, T3 etc)?

·
Registered
619 Posts
That's almost up in T5 territory and I just don't believe it I'm afraid, the rolling road has to be incorrect.
I can believe the maximum power is significantly increased at higher revs (as described), but it does depend on what you want the extra power for and when.
If it's driveability then you don't want to be "revving the nuts off it" all the time to go faster and changing gear frequently to keep it in the right rev band.

That's the nice thing about the Polestar remap on my T5 (OK it's an auto too) that it's mainly mid-range torque that has gone up, with peak (high-rev) power only increased a few percent. They also remap the gearbox to match the revised power bands and it works very well. The small overall increase in power means that the insurers are not bothered, minimal extra premium.

·
Registered
286 Posts
From 220nm to 390nm...that's more torque than the T5.

As the others mentioned, they are skeptical (me included), more so at the dyno readout of 230PS than the 190PS figure as the latter is quite possible.

You didn't upgrade anything else in the car did you? Eg..exhaust, new intercooler etc?
I guess as long as you are happy with it, it's all that matters....
Myself I've got a T3 auto, happy with the power, refinement, sound, just not fuel consumption..haha..

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I’m sceptical as well although looking at some of the established remappers - bsr/heico etc it’s in the realm of the possible. Nothing else upgraded on the car. Think I’ll just have to take those figures with a pinch of salt - it’s deffinately an improvement. I’ll be doing a longer run today so I’ll see what it’s like on the motorway. Thanks for all the responses so far.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hi you quoted engine power not wheel power at the wheels it still looks about 10% out did they do a befor and after rolling road

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for clarifying the read out, thought it was a bit too high! They did a before and after on the rolling road it seemed spot on.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Quick update. Car has been running great, not blown up and is very sprightly! Think I surprised a few people on the motorway! Not done any other modifications (yet), have my first MOT next month and taking it in for a major service beforehand to make sure everything is as it should be (going with an independent so no software update). All I can say is what an upgrade the remap has done for the T2!

·
Registered
619 Posts
That's put your peak power up to T5 mid-range power (T5 peak is a fair bit more) and torque between standard T5 and Polestar T5. So it should be pretty sprightly but will probably start to run out of puff at license-losing illegal speeds!
Given that many components in and around the engine may not be designed to take the same stresses as a T5 I'd just be a tad wary....

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
From what I understand it's well within tolerances if you look at the remaps on offer from heico, Rica etc. Time will tell. Not experienced any lack of puff (apart from during the mini UK heatwave and the warm air). Glad I didn't go for the T5 and went for something more stealthy. From what I understand they are all the same engines now. Not sure about the turbos however it was so underpowered on the original map to start with. All in all I think I've saved a few thousand pounds for more than acceptable performance.

·
Registered
619 Posts
If you look at the detailed engine specs there are lots of detailed difference, not just the turbos.
Nonetheless, enjoy and don't forget to tell your insurers or you won't be insured at all!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
What are the differences? Do you have a link. I was looking for the info before i decided to remap. Don't worry, insurers have been informed!

·
Registered
619 Posts
I did find stuff once, when I was buying (over 3 years ago) on the Volvo web site and brochures but it's all disappeared.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts