Volvo V40 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys!
So... i want to buy a second hand car and my first choice was vw golf or seat leon ( i am a hatchback fan :) ) but when i started searching on the internet for cars i discovered this volvo v40 and it's a very nice looking car :-D and now i want to buy this car!
In my country ( Romania ) only v40 that i can afford ( i have around 9000-9500 euro's ) and it's available on the market is v40 diesel engine, 2.0 D2 -120hp or D4-190hp years 2013-2015.
My questions are:
Why a car that look's so good is relatively cheaper than a vw golf and seat leon from same years ( difference between them is around 1000-2000 euro's ) ?
Which engine is more reliable? 2.0 diesel D2-120hp or D4-190hp?
How expensive it is to maintain this car compared to the cars mentioned above ?
How expenses are different parts on this car compared with other cars?
How reliable is this car in general in therms of parts failure compared with other cars?
P.S.: I have seen that this two engines ( D2 and D4 ) are not manufactured by volvo , only D3 with five cylinders is manufactured by volvo, but i don't find this engine for sale in Romania.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Hi,

D2 is either 1.6 Ford/PSA engine 115 hp (fitted till 2015) or 2.0 Volvo (code name VEA) engine 120 hp.

D3 and D4 are both 2.0 Volvo engines. Till 2015 they were both 5 cylinders (D4 177 hp). From 2015 they are both VEA 4 cylinders (D4 190 hp).

I cannot tell about the price. It also probably depends on the engine, mileage and options.

I have V40 T5 now but I had V40 D2 1.6 for about 5 years and I had no problems with that engine. It looks slow on paper but in reality its 270 Nm torque makes it a flexible car. Sure you won't be the star of drag races with that engine. If you feel that you require power then go with D4. It only had problems with EGR as far as I know. But that can be solved.

Service costs and spare parts are probably a bit more expensive than those for golfs but not much, I guess.

About reliability... I think V40 is very good in this. I have seen a couple of lists and it was always in good numbers. I did 200K km's with my V40 D2 and there were only two failures: the aircon compressor burned (cca 400 euro cost) and a jammed v-belt pulley (150 euro cost).

I hope that helps.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi,

D2 is either 1.6 Ford/PSA engine 115 hp (fitted till 2015) or 2.0 Volvo (code name VEA) engine 120 hp.

D3 and D4 are both 2.0 Volvo engines. Till 2015 they were both 5 cylinders (D4 177 hp). From 2015 they are both VEA 4 cylinders (D4 190 hp).

I cannot tell about the price. It also probably depends on the engine, mileage and options.

I have V40 T5 now but I had V40 D2 1.6 for about 5 years and I had no problems with that engine. It looks slow on paper but in reality its 270 Nm torque makes it a flexible car. Sure you won't be the star of drag races with that engine. If you feel that you require power then go with D4. It only had problems with EGR as far as I know. But that can be solved.

Service costs and spare parts are probably a bit more expensive than those for golfs but not much, I guess.

About reliability... I think V40 is very good in this. I have seen a couple of lists and it was always in good numbers. I did 200K km's with my V40 D2 and there were only two failures: the aircon compressor burned (cca 400 euro cost) and a jammed v-belt pulley (150 euro cost).

I hope that helps.
Hy,
Thank you for the informations!

·
Registered
374 Posts
I had a 2014 Seat Leon MK3 with LED headlights, then now I have a Volvo V40 T3 2018 model. I prefer to sit in the V40, and complete long journies in the V40. However on a twisty road, I would take the Seat Leon anyday, plus like for like (both had ~150bhp power). I found the Seat Leon more powerful and responsive, perhaps it is 100kg lighter and the diesel engine had more torque. However build quality wise it's a non contest, it's the V40, rattle free, and better put together. Maybe the prices are lower due to diesel? I would say go for the D4 if the insurance and taxes aren't too much. The economy isn't that different, but power definitely is!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts