Volvo V40 Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2017 V40 T5
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Car does Makes a verly loud windy noise when driving at 150 km/h Higher then 150 its gone also under 150 i cant hear it.
Someone is having the Same?

·
Registered
19 Posts
I did have something similiar but ambit different, mine also makes an odd wind sound but only from 164 km/h, it gets louder the higher you go, now the odd part if i drop speed to below it keeps making the noise. After reaching 130 or a bit lower nor sure it disappears. That is strange like a valve opens at 160+ and doesnt close until speed is below .. certain number.if i drive 163 it doesnt come when going 1 kmh higher it does. Very strange.

·
Registered
2017 V40 T5
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thats My Car From the Front, you need to explain me what you mean. My english isnt that good
My Car goes in the next few days into service for new Summer wheels so i let that Check too. If they find Something i'll make a new discussion of how they fixed and found that 😬

·
Registered
611 Posts
I'm not sure TBH as we aren't allowed to drive that fast in the UK

·
Registered
543 Posts
So when you look inside the grill behind the Volvo badge towrads the engine bay, at least my car, when it's parked up, there's a flap that closes access (for air) to the engine. Now of course as it's parked up, I guess the grill is closed, but when the car needs more cooling or maybe if it needs more air for the AC, I've been told by others on this forum that that flap can open. If you look closely (if you have this) you can see it's just like some blinds, it can close and open. The others here said that when this open, this might be the sound you hear. On the separate note, when my 2018 Momentun Nav plus wiht T3 engine V40 was new, around 115kmh (70mph) and higher it would make an annoying wind/whistling sound. Only around that speed, even up to about 125kmh, don't know if it still makes that noise any faster, as well speed limit here is 115kmh. However as the car got older (and dirtier) this sound stopped. I guess it must have been a gap somewhere, now it's dirty, the gap is gone.

·
Registered
2017 V40 T5
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So when you look inside the grill behind the Volvo badge towrads the engine bay, at least my car, when it's parked up, there's a flap that closes access (for air) to the engine. Now of course as it's parked up, I guess the grill is closed, but when the car needs more cooling or maybe if it needs more air for the AC, I've been told by others on this forum that that flap can open. If you look closely (if you have this) you can see it's just like some blinds, it can close and open. The others here said that when this open, this might be the sound you hear. On the separate note, when my 2018 Momentun Nav plus wiht T3 engine V40 was new, around 115kmh (70mph) and higher it would make an annoying wind/whistling sound. Only around that speed, even up to about 125kmh, don't know if it still makes that noise any faster, as well speed limit here is 115kmh. However as the car got older (and dirtier) this sound stopped. I guess it must have been a gap somewhere, now it's dirty, the gap is gone.
Thanks for quick answer i'll try that out. Also the Sound Starts at 150km/h and i can hear it till Like 190km/h above that, to Like 250km/h i dont hear that, but i'll Check If My Car has that, maybe i tape it so it cant Open and try i constant Open so it doesnt Close or i Turn AC off.
I want to get Rid of that its annoys me, when overtaking more then 2 Cars of normal Road you need Speed and with a T5 you get there easy above 150 km/h while overtaking and in Autobahn when there isnt a Speed Limit and you Go full gas i hear that Till i Hit more then 190km/h. But i'll let that get checked and keep it updated

·
Registered
19 Posts
For you guys, i went after it and it was indeed the aftive grills in the front opening up for more air.
as soon as the sound started i saw on my obdscanner the grill opening. and going away after closing

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.