Volvo V40 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Car Motor vehicle Hood Blue Vehicle

The coolant in my 2015 5 cylinder D3 is Orange? Would this be genuine Volvo?
I know a few other owners of 5 cylinder engines have also orange coolant.
What colour is everyone else’s?

·
Registered
514 Posts
Mine was only ever serviced by Volvo and it was green.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Could just be the case that it was red before and by time it became orange. Original Volvo coolant is green.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Very green for me and filled to max.., but car was quite new then...but don't recall it changing to a different hue.
Car Vehicle Hood Light Motor vehicle

·
Registered
89 Posts
It seems no one who replied actually drives your 5cylinder D3. I have one from 2013 and can confirm my coolant is also orange. Thinking about whether a coolant flush would make sense after 8 years. I've read that it should be done properly using vacuum, so I think I will ask my Volvo dealership when the car is in service next year..

·
Registered
22 Posts
It seems no one who replied actually drives your 5cylinder D3. I have one from 2013 and can confirm my coolant is also orange. Thinking about whether a coolant flush would make sense after 8 years. I've read that it should be done properly using vacuum, so I think I will ask my Volvo dealership when the car is in service next year..
I don't see why it should be specific for 5CD3. Maybe that it is the older engine, still a 5cyl, uniquely by Volvo, but the principles of the cooling system are pretty much the same.
The coolant loses color from three main factors –
  • temperature, in which the coolant runs in peak workloads;
  • pathways, in which the coolant flows and flushes out any residues or corrosion;
  • oxidation of ethylene glycol, which is the actual thermal carrier agent in the coolant.
Given that you haven't changed your coolant for 8 years already, I would say that all of the three above are the reasons for your discoloration. The coolant could be changed either in "open way" leaving the coolant cap off and heater MAX temp/wind or in "pressure mode" using a vacuum/pressurizing the tank and opening bleed valve. Personally, I've never bothered using vacuum and in every case just left the coolant cap off for it to self-bleed, never had any problems.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Mine was only ever serviced by Volvo and it was green.
Mine (over 5 years old now) looks like it needs a bit of a top-up and is also green.
Is it a "standard" coolant or do I need to go to Volvo to buy it. (My Audi in contrast has a pink coolant G12 which is readily available)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts