Volvo V40 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's what I use:

Exterior - Autoglym Bodywork Shampoo Conditioner, every 3-6 months use Meguairs Ultimate Compound followed by Autoglym Extra Gloss Protection

Interior - Autoglym Vinyl & Rubber care, wilkinsons leather wipes, Autoglym Fast Glass

Would be great to hear from fellow V40 owners what you think works best for your pride and joy? Would also really appreciate any tips on how best to clean the R-Design faux suede seats.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Exterior:

• Valet Pro pH Neutral Snow Foam (Karcher pressure washer plus snow foam lance)
  • Autoglym Shampoo (no conditioner) using Meguiars lambswool mitt and 2 bucket method
  • Autoglym Glass Polish (use the DA Polisher and a white Hexlogic every now and then)
  • Invisible Glass
  • RainX
  • 303 Aerospace Protectant (for untreated plastic parts and rubber seals)
  • Autoglym Tyre Dressing
  • Autosol (just for exhaust pipes)
  • IronX for the wheels (and nose plugs!)
  • Dry using waffle weave microfibre towel (soon to be replaced by Metro Vac Air Force Blaster)
I use a soft wheel brush in my combi drill for the wheels to speed up cleaning the spokes, then a slightly tougher spoke brush for in-between. Keep meaning to get wheel whoolies but no real need for them.

For polish I use a 3M masking tape, DAS-6 PRO with Hexlogic Pads, Meguiars 105 or 205 depending on needs then finish with Nippon Shine Fusso Coat Dark.

Interior:

• Meguiars Interior detailer
  • 303 Aerospace Protectant (specific bits like rubber seals, mats)
  • Autoglym Interior Shampoo for carpets
  • Gliptone Leather Cleaner, Gliptone Leather Conditioner (for seats)
I use microfibre cloths from the Rag Company and a few microfibre applicators I got off Amazon. I also carry Autoglym bird dropping wipes as the birds seem to love my car.

No tips for your seats I'm afraid though I've used the autoglym interior shampoo on fabric seats in another car using spray water, cloths and then a vacuum and dry with the light setting on my heat gun (not even as warm as a hair dryer) and that seemed to work very well.

Edit: I should mention I'm a real saddo when it comes to cleaning my car so the above list is not normal!

·
Registered
719 Posts
I suspect my V40 gets an easier life. I use Blackfire Wet Diamond Polishes. I then wash with a hose and wool mitt, no shampoo, and dry with microfibre towels. I treated the wheels with Auto Finesse Mint Rims. The outside comes clean with the hose and an older wool mitt. Using the pressure washer gets most of the dirt off the inner rims. Not concours, but more than adequate.
But then I don't do a high mileage so the car doesn't get that dirty.

·
Registered
404 Posts
I like a clean car but don't like spending hours on it. I've ended up with the following products which I feel give pretty good results with minimal effort/time.

Exterior:

Simoniz Protection car shampoo (no wax in it so doesn't leave the windscreen in a mess) followed by Armor All Sheild Wax every few washes - this stuff is amazing in my opinion. Just wipe on, wipe off, works on all surfaces including glass (don't put it on the windscreen though!) I use a Kent microfibre wash pad with the car shampoo and a foam applicator/towe cloth for the wax.

Armor All Sheild for Wheels - on clean wheels spray a decent amount of this on them and you can just wipe the wheels clean with a sponge and soapy water next time you clean it.

Autosmart Topaz - this got rid of some swirls when we got the car and works over everything, no white marks. I've not used this since but may give it a go in the summer.

Interior:

Dyson vacuum with the car kit (this kit is really worth it in my opinion) and the armor all matt dash wipes. I use a leather care kit from here which seems to work well. The Windows just get standard window cleaner on the inside.

A while back somebody introduced me to Bar Keepers Friend. This, on a damp cloth, is seriously good at cleaning windscreens as it will cut through any grime etc. I used it as I was always getting smeary windscreens and a quick go with this made a massive difference. (rub the past in fairly hard and then buff off after a few minutes).

·
Registered
602 Posts
Used to use all autoglym stuff for exterior and interior but since I got it detailed decided it'd be best to stick with the same manufacturer (Gtechniq), so use all their products now.

Would quite happily use autoglym again though very good stuff

·
Registered
729 Posts
Nothing.....

Weird maybe but my car gets a quick wash every 6 months and when in the mood maybe I'll vacuum it. its a tool to transport for me, not a full time cleaning hobby...

·
Registered
382 Posts
I use a mix and match,

Exterior at the moment I use Meguiars shampoo ultimate something or other great suds with 2 buckets and Megs microfibres mit, that's after I have hosed off the worst of the dirt.
Wax it with Autoglym HD but will change to collonite 576.
I do not polish in the first year, but now I have a few swirls nothing major so when weather is good will give it a good thorough strip back clay, polish then wax with collonite.

I wax every 3 months which is the only time I do a thorough clean rest of the time just a simple wash down.

Nothing on the wheels or exhaust tip just wash with old mitt and shampoo.

Autoglym trim and bumper gel for all the plastics.

Autoglym glass polish for the Windows.

Hoover and leather cleaner for the seats I never bother to condition chromed leather. My last car was 10 years old and the leather was excellent by just keeping it clean with a neutral detergent and water (not much water!) obviously Hoover with a soft brush first, use a stiff bristle to remove dirt from seams etc. I use no interior protection just baby wipes for all the plastics.

I wash my car every 3 weeks including cleaning interior, takes me about 4 hours, and on the fourth of every 3 weeks do a thorough full on clean and re wax.

·
Registered
256 Posts
The outside of the car is usually a £6 wash at the local car wash, or sometimes a £10 wash at American carwash (they claim they use only autoglym products). Insides I do myself with a Dyson V6 Car & Boat (comes with all the attachments), and the dashboard i usually just use a feather duster + Dyson, and just moist white towel to wipe and microfibre to dry if required.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts