Volvo V40 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought my v40 about 2 weeks now and I was wondering what the real fuel consumption was for this car? I did notice that the car consumes more than volvo promises...

My car has a tank of around 40l. For how many km's should it be good for?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
25 Posts
This is a rule of thumb I use since those 3 times being dead on the road without petrol - luckily enough I had an insurance that has covered the service to come and fill me up ;-)
I rarely trust the manyfacturers' based mileage per gallon or liters per kilometer - whenever I fill the car, I reset the trip computer and roughly calculate 6 liters on 100km, though manufacturer claims as low as 3.1 liters, never been in that spot. Probably my acceleration is too heavy from a traffic lights.

·
Registered
285 Posts
This was my commute down the A9 from Elgin to the central belt last week. Most of the way the cruise was set to the national speed limits (with a few blips to overtake the slow pokes) I stopped twice to buy a coffee on the journey so the average speed is maybe a bit lower.

It's a good run of twisty A road for 30 miles, long straight A road and dual carriageway for the rest with a few towns and villages along the way to slow you down to 30mph....

70mpg over a 180 mile journey isn't too bad! My average speed for the journey was 49mph.

Mine is the MY15 D2, so there is a slight difference.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is a rule of thumb I use since those 3 times being dead on the road without petrol - luckily enough I had an insurance that has covered the service to come and fill me up ;-)
I rarely trust the manyfacturers' based mileage per gallon or liters per kilometer - whenever I fill the car, I reset the trip computer and roughly calculate 6 liters on 100km, though manufacturer claims as low as 3.1 liters, never been in that spot. Probably my acceleration is too heavy from a traffic lights.
I'll try this when I need to fill up my tank! ;) but what my dashboard gives is around 5.5l/ 100km.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This was my commute down the A9 from Elgin to the central belt last week. Most of the way the cruise was set to the national speed limits (with a few blips to overtake the slow pokes) I stopped twice to buy a coffee on the journey so the average speed is maybe a bit lower.

It's a good run of twisty A road for 30 miles, long straight A road and dual carriageway for the rest with a few towns and villages along the way to slow you down to 30mph....

View attachment 17204
70mpg over a 180 mile journey isn't too bad! My average speed for the journey was 49mph.

Mine is the MY15 D2, so there is a slight difference.
That's great! I wish my car was like that 😂. Mine is around 5.5l/100km.

·
Registered
416 Posts
From experience on the few cars that I've driven for the last 6 years, I would say that on the old NEDC economy cycle, one would realistically be able to achieve the 'city' figures without much difficulty if traffic is light to medium for 'mixed' driving. On a longer motorway run, or 40-50mph road run, one can usually can achieve close to the mixed driving figures. Saying that for the D2, I would think you could achieve in the high 40s on a medium traffic city run, perhaps low to mid 60s mpg on a motorway run @ 70mph, and perhaps if you do a mix of motorway with some 40-50mph zones, even around the 70mpg mark as another post above. The best I could ever get on a T3 petrol 1.5 Geatronic was 52mpg motorway + 40-50mph roads.
Perhaps also run a tank or 2 full of the most expensive branded diesel (not sure what you have in Belgium, but if you have Esso or Shell try Esso Supreme / Shell Vpower Diesel). These expensive diesel should have high cleaning properties to clean up your engine (like descaling a kettle). My flatmate once did this exercise of 3 tanks of Shell's finest here in UK, and end result was up to 50miles more on a full tank (non Volvo diesel car though).

·
Registered
Volvo V40 Momentum R-Design D2, 2017
20 Posts
There's my contribute: in my experience with my D2 VEA 2.0 engine is around 4,8L/100 - or 59MPG in motorway driving at 70mph, mostly.
Nowadays in small journeys like home-work, a few miles and it's getting 4,5L/100 - like 63MPG.
It's remapped :devilish:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts