Volvo V40 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I have a 4 year old V40 and it's out of warranty plus the nearest dealer is 300km away, I need to change engine oil, and I couldn't find 0w20 anywhere, a guy in a garage told me he can use 5w40 oil, is it safe? please help. thanks.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Opie Oils do mail order delivery. If you don't want to use them, the list of compatible oils on their site gives you information on what to look for elsewhere. There are quite a few RBS0-2AE compatible oils available now, more than Opie show, so it shouldn't be that difficult to find one via a web search.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Opie Oils do mail order delivery. If you don't want to use them, the list of compatible oils on their site gives you information on what to look for elsewhere. There are quite a few RBS0-2AE compatible oils available now, more than Opie show, so it shouldn't be that difficult to find one via a web search.

Thanks a lot, that's very helpful

·
Registered
10 Posts

I just buy it from the Volvo dealer in 4ltr cans (volvo branded). About £27 per can. For the Castrol branded stuff it’s more like £60.
It’s the same Castrol oil, just in a Volvo can.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I just buy it from the Volvo dealer in 4ltr cans (volvo branded). About £27 per can. For the Castrol branded stuff it’s more like £60.
It’s the same Castrol oil, just in a Volvo can.
But the OP wanted an alternative to Volvo, as his nearest dealer is 300km away.

You also need two cans to do an oil change. I use Motul Specific which is approved by Volvo the same as Castrol. I order it when Opie do their regular discount and free postage deals, so can get 6 litres for around £50. My car doesn't use any oil between services and I don't like using oil that's been sitting around for over a year, so 2 x 4 litres would be no use to me.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts