Volvo V40 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is it with the guys at "Whatcar?" magazine?
They really do keep trying to find faults with it.

The have one on long term test. It can be found here: Whatcar test

But I'll save you the trouble and summarise it thus:

Week 1) It's got a tiny 52 litre tank! = Power to weight ratio keeps the mpg down...D'oh

Week 2) The flexible boot floor is £100 = Shocking....BMW would charge at least double that for it.

Week 3) The Door has a rattle. = Who would have thought eh? A new car (A first production one at that) would have a door rattle??

Week 4) The pedals are offset. = Really shocking. Must be a world first.

Week 5) No faults found. = Editor gives reporter swift kick up the backside to get his act together.

Week 6) Fidgety ride. = Another world first. No pleasing some people. You'll be wanting stabilisers next.

Week 7) Reporter gripes that the self-parking is poor as it's always 5 inches from the kerb. Adds photo showing low kerb and 2 inch gap. = Good job there's so few women Whatcar? readers who be happy to point out that as a typical man, he can't estimate length properly.

Week 8) Reporter takes car across the channel to Europe and emphatically states that speedo cannot be changed from m.p.h to km/h. = In other words "I'm too lazy to read the manual during the channel crossing to see that it's actually very simple to change the display to km/h."

This is all par for the course as in the world according to Whatcar? If it's not built in Germany, it must be rubbish. Apologies to our German friends :)

·
Registered
192 Posts
Ha! I'm so glad someone else has pointed this out... I was reading a review today in their mag comparing new a3 (5 stars...really? That boring piece of crap?) Bmw, v40 and gulietta. My favourite part was when they compared interior consoles/dashboard
V40 - 'confusing. We found the buttons hard to understand'
Volvo have geniusly simplified the controls!

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK, we, who have one of these cars on order, naturally don't want to hear criticisms. And no car will ever be perfect. But 'Whatcar?' seem hellbent on trying to rubbish this car. Even to the point of making false statements about what it can and can't do.
I used to buy 'Whatcar?' when I was younger and a would read it avidly from cover to cover (minus the stats pages). But now I just won't bother any more because frankly I don't want an Audi or a BMW. Everybody has got one and they're over-priced to boot.
I'd now sooner watch Mat Watson's reviews for 'Carbuyer' on YouTube. I just wish 'Fifth Gear' would offer him a job.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Yep I agree totally. I kind of get the appeal of the german cars... Mostly fashion and status, fitting in, keeping up with the joneses kinda thing but..jeez there boring...and so common, 'everybody' has one or the other.

Matt seems pretty good, quite fair. I always read/watch reviews on anthing I buy but...only to hear a different point of view as a lot of the time the things others don't like - I don't mind or disagree with!! (Plus I'm far too loyal now to Volvo for my own good)

·
Registered
153 Posts
If it's any consolation there are magazines which have a more balanced approach. Reading Top gear this week in the stats pages (yes Andytech I read them!) They rate all the V40s 8/10 and equiv Audi a3 rates only 5-6, BMW 1 series rates 6-7. The text on the A3 is amusing it describes it as excellent but uninteresting, same, ubiquitous... it is a golf really...

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I read the Top Gear review of the V40 and they were quite impressed. As were Autocar.
I just don't like the look of the 1 series or Audi A3. They both look dated now. Even though the A3 has had an exterior and interior facelift, it still screams 10 year old design. The new golf is an improvement over the old one. But it's still not a radical departure from the old shape.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I think its all being slightly blown out of proportion.

Now mater what the car is, there are always going to be both positive & negative comments. Alot of these are down to the personal taste of the particular test driver.

I've had my car for over a week now - No door rattle, pedal offset not noticable, ride not fidgety at all.

I think if you check out other reports of the cars they are currently driving, you'll find they too have positive & negative comments.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Plus the interior on the Golf is rubbish, car is all very lightweight Bluemotion should do 88mpg.
Agree with you on the A3 and 1 series.
I am completely sick of my 1 series now, my local BMW dealer in Stevenage had the audacity to ring me on Weds to tell me they had cancelled my appointment for a Service on Thurs.
This is the final example of a long 6yrs of bad service. Like the time they asked me to bring in my 3 month old 5 series as it was misfiring, they had it for a couple of hrs then told me they would need to keep it over night to test it starting from cold, but weren't prepared to give me a courtesy car (what the....!!). And so literally left me stranded at the dealership with no way of getting home! I emailed the MD of BMW europe that night, the next morning behold! a new 5 series M sport on my drive.

Then there was the time my 1 series failed the MOT on a buckled wheel, it took them 2hrs in the workshop to read the part number from the wheel to tell me they needed to order one in.

I could go on...'CRAPPY' doesn't even begin to describe them.

Hoping that the Volvo dealer in Welwyn will be a breath of fresh air. My V40 is due to be delivered on Thurs!:D

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hope all goes well on Thursday mate.
To be honest my current Lexus dealer is the best I've ever had. Their customer service is second to none. I'm hoping the Volvo dealership is going to be as good.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Volvo seem to have had a 'brand service' step change within the 3 and a bit years of ownership..(Or maybe just my local dealer) but they seem to have improved. Still ridiculous prices to fix or change parts etc, one of my numberplate bulbs isn't working, they wanted £60 to replace the housing and £5 for the bulb... Errrrr no! 70p bulb from ebay and I'll do it mysf thanks!

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yep, Lexus parts aren't cheap. But their service personnel are very attentive. They found a major problem with my diesel engine. Got me to take it in after an oil change and 100 miles. They then called and said we are fitting a new engine at no cost to you as yours has failed under Lexus engine warranty - WOW! But I'm still struggling to get to 35mpg. Hence the V40 D2 :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
About this Discussion
10 Replies
4 Participants
Andytech
Volvo V40 Forums
If you've ever wondered what modifications or upgrades you can do to a Volvo V40, this is the right owners club for you.
Full Forum Listing