Volvo V40 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 245 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have just bought a 2013 v40 d2 se 1.6 diesel and are struggling to get above 60 mpg, the advertised amount is 85?! Can anyone give us an idea what your getting on a journey and if this is the real picture?

·
Registered
191 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum.

Sadly the advertised numbers are unattainable in reality and these days the small print does point out that the numbers are only useful for comparison purposes.

A real-world 60mpg is reasonable from a D2 but it depends on driving style. Sit at a steady 70mph on the motorway and you'll get high-ish 60s.

Some on here have achieved high 70s mpg but it comes at the cost of driving very carefully with climate control off.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I had the same concern when I first started driving my D2. I average around the 55mpg mark, but I do have relatively small trips. On longer trips if I drive normally I can usually get around 60mpg. I have on a couple of occasions, on a single trip, pushed it and drove like a granny and sat at 55-60 and have managed around 75mpg. [No offence to any grannies on here :)]
I have found that tyre pressure does actually make a fair bit of difference.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Hi like Kev I have found it easy to get more than 70 mpg with the D2 on long journeys (according to the trip computer that is-- haven't tried a brim-to-brim check yet) we just did a trip to York via A1/A1M about 175 miles cruising between in low and overtaking in high 60s and averaged 71.9. One thing- I try to accelerate smoothly and gently after roundabouts etc.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Expect a 20% drop in economy @ 2 Deg C compared to 20 Deg C on short runs where you are having to warm the engine every time.

Also expect a 20% hike on easy driven motorway trips to local town hopping

but yes sadly all today's figures are derived in Lab conditions on rolling roads (no hills) - they all do exactly the same process and think this needs some better regulation as the petrol's will always get closer to their claimed figures (for whatever reason)

·
Registered
80 Posts
Like mos I achieve 55/56mpg usually, mainly on fairly short commuter runs. However, I have recorded low 60s on lengthy motorway trips

Reactions: KrisV40

·
Registered
382 Posts
Expect a 20% drop in economy @ 2 Deg C compared to 20 Deg C on short runs where you are having to warm the engine every time.
I can vouch for that. Until about three weeks ago my trip to and from work (17 miles) was always low 60's with the occasional high 60's if A1 was miraculously clear.

Now, driving exactly the same, 55-58mpg average.

Anyone noticed how long the heater takes to get warm?

Reactions: Tiff

·
Registered
94 Posts
Long European trip

Day to day running and now a much shorter commute in the winter 48-50 MPG.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I get 45MPG with mine on short journeys which is what I typically do - but on runs I can just about get 75MPG driving just a bit faster than a granny! (about 65mph average). Depending on what sort of driving you do, 60MPG is likely about right and about in line with the 20% less than manufacturer's figure rule of thumb.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'm getting 54.2mpg having done some 1250 miles this is with climate control always on and driving 50-75 on a dual carriage motorway 20 miles each way - am reasonably pleased though as my 2.0 Astra over 37000 miles only got me 40.7!

1 - 20 of 245 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.