Volvo V40 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before I have a go at removing my wheel arch covers to put in some sound deadening material I thought I would ask if anyone has attempted this and if so how big a job is it and is there anything I should look out for? I intend to do the front and rear.
Off to a car-breakers to buy a jack as I found this weekend that there is none in the V40 - how strange! I suppose that it is because there is no spare wheel.
Any help greatly appreciated.
OldCroc

·
Registered
163 Posts
Not done the front ones but the back was a bit fiddly - I ended up using a 6" 1/4" drive UJ to get the screws that fix in to the rear bumper and a ratchet handle to get the rest as the clearance between the tyre and the arch is quite small.

Having said that, I guess you'll be taking the wheels off which will make your life a whole lot easier!

What sound deadening are you using by the way?

·
Registered
945 Posts
Sound deadening the front arches....why and is there actually an inner wing the to stick the stuff to, these days there tends just to be chassis legs going forward of the suspension mounts.

What are you wanting to achieve as I bet there are better places to put your sound deadening than there.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Rover 45/MG ZS jack and wheel brace is almost identical to the those supplied with the Volvo Tempa spare wheel option.

But, as you intend to work under the car with the wheel off, I'd suggest a trolley jack and axle stands would be safer.

Reactions: OldCroc

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sound deadening the front arches....why and is there actually an inner wing the to stick the stuff to, these days there tends just to be chassis legs going forward of the suspension mounts.

What are you wanting to achieve as I bet there are better places to put your sound deadening than there.
There is a plastic liner which i am hoping to cover. I experience excessive road wheel noise in the car and am looking to reduce it. My thought was to start with the nearest component to the tyres - hence the wheel arches.

·
Registered
382 Posts
I'll be interested to hear how you get on!

Isn't it incredibly nice when one drives from the rough old gritty road onto a smooth piece of new tarmac. First time it happened I thought I'd gone deaf!

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'll be interested to hear how you get on!

Isn't it incredibly nice when one drives from the rough old gritty road onto a smooth piece of new tarmac. First time it happened I thought I'd gone deaf!
I find i hunt out the smooth, shiny bits of tarmac on motorways to get a quieter ride.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.