Volvo V40 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 205 / 60 / 16 tires, I want to change to 235 / 45 / 18.
My concern is the difference in comfort. Anyone has experience about this difference? Can it be too hard with the new tires?

Thank you

·
Registered
42 Posts
Yes, comfort and stability will be a bit different, of course. It is your decision.
But just to warn you about two things... If you decide to change from 16'' to 17'', 18'' or 19'', you need to do two things:
1. To install a limiters on the steering rack(on the inner side joints) . There are standard, sold as an a accessory from Volvo. You can ask them. All V40 with 17, 18 and 19 have it standard fitted from the factory.
2. You need an software update to change wheels size in the car. Need this for all stability systems and speedometer to work properly.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, thanks. I didn't know.
Limiters on the steering rack (on the inner side joints)... I need to go to mechanic for that, I suppose. What happen if I'll drive one week without?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Here you can see the original installation manual from Volvo.

Click after that on the "Installation instruction".
These are needed because tires can hit inner side of the car the you turn the steering wheel to far left or far right position.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I went from 205/50 R17 to 235/35 R19 (not on the same V40 though) and I expected it much worse. You will lose some comfort, of course but in my opinion not so much for such a better look and stability.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts