Volvo V40 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ixion II 18” are fitted on vehicle I purchased a couple of months ago.
Now noticed that one of the wheels is very much a matt black, however the other three have a slight shine finish to them, not full gloss but certainly not a matt black.
Now in process I trying to get Volvo to rectify.
Volvo warranty/customer services says it not a warranty issue, that it was the dealer who should have rectified before selling vehicle on.
Also I am the first private owner, the car is only 8 months old and for the first 6 months it was a Volvo managers car…..yes its one of the Selekt cars.
So now garage is considering what they will do, they have said they will try and refurb wheel (respray) to make it look the same as the other three, I am not happy with this as I want the correct finish.
So now I am waiting for their response.
For me to replace it will cost £432 plus fitting.
What would you guys do?

·
Registered
945 Posts
Had similar issue with the civic type r, there was an issue with a rim so they order a new one but when it turned up while it was the correct style it was a different shade of silver, the inside was not lacquered (the originals were) and the gap between the twin spokes was fractionally wider. Honda HQ said they were the same, I said they weren't, they said they were, I pointed out how they weren't, they wouldn't even believe the dealer. In the end the dealer gave me a new wheel off another brand new car.

On the Leon Cupra R the satin finished rims did not have much colour in the edges, they again would not believe there was an issue. I ended up paying for and court compliant independent experts report on the rims confirming the thickness of the paint and that clearly there was an issue. Seat still would not budge despite not even bothering to check them themselves. I then requested details of the register office etc or if they wanted to nominate solicitors to accept service of proceedings.......strangely they then gave me a brand new set of 5 rims.

The issue you will have with a referb is the rims are a satin finish, this is near impossible to fade in a small area like a wheel rim, also if there are any flaws in the paint (a bit if dirt or similar) they can not polish this out without damaging the satin finish (making them shiny). They will also have to be very, very good with there masking in view of the diamond cut edges etc.

Good luck

·
Registered
382 Posts
I polish mine with Mer when I clean the car and they shine like new.

Sadly the outer rim is so unprotected with having such a small quantity of rubber between it and the road that they soon become 'war zones' with considerable battle damage.

I clipped a kerb in snow last winter (we only had one storm that lasted about two hours), brushed the other trying to get out of a parking space where I had been thoughtfully blocked-in. Last 'event' was trying to whip through a chicane before the 200 cars waiting (oncoming) started off! Mistimed the pull-in slightly!

I am considering having Rim Protectors fitted. Has anyone had these?

Halfords now sell stick-on ones. See here: http://www.halfords.com/motoring/ca...mblades-alloy-wheel-rim-protectors-black#tab3

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Dealer has been in touch...as volvo warranty didn't want too know....very disappointed ...dealer is are going to swop my duff wheel with another one, so thank you very much Tollbar Volvo of Warwick.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Sadly the outer rim is so unprotected with having such a small quantity of rubber between it and the road that they soon become 'war zones' with considerable battle damage.
I had low profiles on my V50 Sport. They suffered badly over the years, starting off when my wife clipped the kerb on the second day of having the car. This time I avoided them, and haven't regretted it at all.

·
Registered
945 Posts
There is1 guy near me who fits Ali gators I would not have the. As generally do not catch my rims but if you do ut hey could work ok (I am tempted to get some on the fleet cars as most drivers don't care re scraping rims)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.